Tomorrowland - Problematic and Preachy Sci-fi Adventure

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009

Brad Bird's newest movie, Tomorrowland, winds up more of a lecture than anything else. It's still moderately entertaining.

Read Full Article

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I knew about the third act lecture going in (I more then one reviewer after all) so I knew it was coming and it didn't bother me as much as it would have. I enjoyed it, and I would watch a sequel if it was made, I'd like to see a full movie set in Tommorowland that explores different ideas and the world they've set up. I mean it's a futuristic city in a pocket dimension where the best and brightest among us gather to make new and interesting things, it would be easy to turn such an IP into a series of movies each exploring new and different science fiction ideas that define the genre.

JSRevenge

Sep 23, 2014
I like this review if only because I tire of hearing about games and entertainment media bending backwards to push an overt liberal agenda. This review obviously doesn't fit that mold; thanks.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Marter said:

Brad Bird's newest movie, Tomorrowland, winds up more of a lecture than anything else. It's still moderately entertaining.

Read Full Article
Wait, is the Chosen One character in this film actually called "The Special?" Because that's the term the Lego movie used when it was making a deconstructive parody of the Chosen One narrative.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Knight Captain Kerr said:
Marter said:

Read Full Article
Wait, is the Chosen One character in this film actually called "The Special?" Because that's the term the Lego movie used when it was making a deconstructive parody of the Chosen One narrative.

Yes she is, ah the LEGO movie destroying everything that comes after when they try to use it's tropes.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Makes me think of The Last Mimzy. So much potential in that film, wasted on a generic, overbearing and tired message.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
They directly say "you're special" as to the reason why she's been chosen, but never actually say she's "The Special." I just like calling people "The Special" because it's funny.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Well, that's a kick in the pants. The movie Tomorrowland isn't mostly set in the place called Tomorrowland! As Otto the bus driver said when he left Stoner's Pot Palace, "Man, that is flagrant false advertising!"
Also, I would be remised if I didn't quote the Fallout:New Vegas episode of Unskippable: "A future society ruled by Hugh Laurie? I want to go to there!"

JMac85

Nov 1, 2007
I really, really hate how "problematic" gets throws around too goddamned much these days. It's always used to denote something making the person saying it mildly uncomfortable, and they express it as though whatever the hell that was is self-evident and universal. Y'know, like all those people who say everything is "shit", but with "problematic" they're trying really hard to sound like they're smart.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
JMac85 said:
I really, really hate how "problematic" gets throws around too goddamned much these days. It's always used to denote something making the person saying it mildly uncomfortable, and they express it as though whatever the hell that was is self-evident and universal. Y'know, like all those people who say everything is "shit", but with "problematic" they're trying really hard to sound like they're smart.
Agreed. If there's one word I'd be glad to never hear again it's "problematic". These days, everything in media is "problematic" in the same way everything used to be "sinful".

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
JMac85 said:
Problematic has become a marxist weasel word, devoid of meaning.

It's endemic in identity politics propaganda. Indeed it's become a red flag that what you're reading is political propaganda.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Marter said:
They directly say "you're special" as to the reason why she's been chosen, but never actually say she's "The Special." I just like calling people "The Special" because it's funny.
Do they also say she was "born to do great things"? Because

Tomorrowland, a futuristic city located in a different dimension that the world's best and brightest created centuries earlier
So the premise of this movie is "Rapture will save the world". Geezus. I've joked before about Walt Disney's vision for EPCOT being essentially Rapture, but at least EPCOT was still meant to be easily accessible and open to the general public.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Marter said:
I was going to say...

Anyway, while the visuals are pretty great, it can't save it from this mess of a script which is a shame because I quite like Brad Bird. Troubled pre-production I'm guessing.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
What's more difficult to digest is an awkward romance between George Clooney's character and the one played by 12-year-old Raffey Cassidy
Do you know how many articles I've seen about romantic age gaps in Hollywood with George Clooney's name dropped several times? I'm even remembering Tina Fey's joke about him preferring to float off into space and die than spend any more time with a woman his own age.

At some point George Clooney needs to look around and take a stand. It's just funny at this point.

CatCube

Nov 16, 2010
The comment about Casey Newton being declared "The Special" is especially funny, because there's nothing that she does to justify this when she's given the pin. It's not much of a spoiler, since it's in the first act and is one of the things that gets the plot rolling, but I'll put it behind tags anyway:

Casey catches Athena's eye by sabotaging construction equipment being used to dismantle service structures at Launch Complex 39 (the pads used by Apollo and the Space Shuttle), because she's pissed that they don't have a system waiting to use them. We see her do something that probably destroys the electrical systems on the equipment, so we're likely talking high-five-, low-six-figure damage. There are two things that make this particularly dumb: 1) they'd probably be doing significant modifications to the LC anyway as there was a lot of rebuilding that happened between the Saturn and Space Shuttle systems, and a lot more for the SpaceX and SLS systems slated to use the pads IRL, and 2) she's not even halting the demolition, just making it cost more. So her sabotage is about as smart and forward-thinking as spraypainting graffiti on the facade of the US Capitol Building--and if her graffiti was "More Money for NASA Nooooow!" it would at least raise awareness for her cause.

So Athena gives Casey a pin for engaging in expensive, pointless symbolism that does nothing but make her feel good about herself. The plot gets preachier from there.