Shadowrun: Hong Kong Teased With New Video And Screenshots

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Shadowrun: Hong Kong Teased With New Video And Screenshots

Pre-orders open for Harebrained Schemes' third Shadowrun installment.

A slim glimpse of Shadowrun: Hong Kong has been released today by developer Harebrained Schemes, with a brief video featuring concept art and a series of screenshots. A store page for the game has also been added to Steam, and pre-orders are now being accepted for the Shadowrun: Hong Kong deluxe collection at a discount of 33%.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong is the third game set in the Shadowrun universe to be developed by Harebrained Schemes, a Seattle-based studio co-founded by Shadowrun creator Jordan Weisman. A highly successful Kickstarter campaign in 2013 funded the development of grew from a DLC expansion into a standalone title [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126650-].

[gallery=4174]

Harebrained Schemes returned to Kickstarter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139484-Harebrained-Schemes-Shadowrun-Hong-Kong-Tears-Through-Kickstarter] in January of this year to expand the scope of Shadowrun: Hong Kong, already in development. The studio raised $1.2 million, funding goals which included additional characters, missions, and an overhaul of the game's "Matrix" content with new visuals and mechanics.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong is set to release this summer.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
*Looks at screenshots 3 and 5*
Looks like Lucky Strikes is back.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
All new eh?

*looks at screenshots, looks at previous Shadowrun games*

I think they're over-promising a little.

Still a new setting, new characters, it should be good

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Matrix overhaul! Eeennnggghhh~

Seriously, the current matrix is a smidgeon bland. My deckers did have some exciting moments in Dragonfall, but daaaayum, New and improved Marix? I want it!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ah, this is going to be twelve kinds of awesome. Very much looking for it.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
Really glad I picked up the director's cut of Dragonfall which was a vast improvement over dead man switch. I'm pretty excited to play this one when it comes out, probably more so than any other game that's come out so far this year.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Sweet looking forward to this especially if they have continued the trend of improvident.

Before this games announced I had decided I would make my next runner in one of these games a melee adapt and had hoped the next game would improve on that play style, now that I know its set in Hong Kong I feel like a cliché. Oh well!

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
llubtoille said:
Really glad I picked up the director's cut of Dragonfall which was a vast improvement over dead man switch. I'm pretty excited to play this one when it comes out, probably more so than any other game that's come out so far this year.
I remember using my christmas cash to buy Shadowrun Returns, and shortly after thinking "Why the Hell didn't I buy this sooner?!" and soon after I beat Dead Man's switch, went over to Dragonfall. Does anyone one know there's comics or novels talking about the early days of "The Awakening"? Because I'm rather curious.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
DementedSheep said:
Sweet looking forward to this especially if they have continued the trend of improvident.

Before this games announced I had decided I would make my next runner in one of these games a melee adapt and had hoped the next game would improve on that play style, now that I know its set in Hong Kong I feel like a cliché. Oh well!
It's fine, dude. I picked Shaman witha spell caster build because it could summon spirits and had a healing spell. Wonder what the Totems are this time?

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
My pants? Gone. Just gone. Take them now. Heck, I'll let myself be boned by a troll if i can play this game early.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
ArcaneGamer said:
llubtoille said:
I remember using my christmas cash to buy Shadowrun Returns, and shortly after thinking "Why the Hell didn't I buy this sooner?!" and soon after I beat Dead Man's switch, went over to Dragonfall. Does anyone one know there's comics or novels talking about the early days of "The Awakening"? Because I'm rather curious.
If you like listening to people: http://neo-anarchist.com/ This is a pretty good run down of significant events and concepts. It covers history, mega corps and I've come to rather enjoy it.

As a backer for Shadowrun Returns, and now this, my hype levels are dangerously high... I really want to see what they do with Magic and the Matrix as those were always my favorite combat tactics. I also hope they keep up their trend of improvement and give out the same awesome mod and custom run builders they did for their previous releases.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
ArcaneGamer said:
Does anyone one know there's comics or novels talking about the early days of "The Awakening"? Because I'm rather curious.
If you want a book, try to find first edition Shadowrun rulebook. That should provide good introduction into the birth of the Shadowrun universe in form of flavour text.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Already bought and paid for. After the original release and the vast improvement that was Dragonfall, I'm confident the developers are fully capable of delivering another solid rpg. All I have to do now is wait.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I'm a backer so I'm really looking forward to this. I really liked Dead Man's Switch and loved Dragonfall. Dragonfall was possibly the best 2014 release I played and I just played the DLC, not the stand alone Director's Cut. I already loved the combat in Shadowrun but the improvements, especially to the matrix sound great.

Now the only thing for me to question is if I should play Dead Man's Switch and Dragonfall again and if I should wait for the epilogue to be out before playing Hong Kong.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010

Compare that, to the track that they've got in that trailer. It sounds like one of those fake Bond or Mission Impossible themes that people change ever so slightly to avoid copyright infringement.

Back on topic, hyped. I own Returns and Dragonfall, and while I haven't yet got around to finishing them yet, I played a fair bit of Returns and loved it.

I really should go back and get that finished =/