Techland Halts Development Of Hellraid

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Techland Halts Development Of Hellraid

Dark fantasy title from Dead Island developer going back to the drawing board

After nearly three years and multiple delays, Techland announced this week that it has stopped work on Hellraid. A dark fantasy action title which was to feature a first-person perspective and cooperative multiplayer, the project has been shelved following an internal analysis which determined the game is not meeting expectations.

First announced in 2012 (then codenamed "Project Hell"), Hellraid was continued to grow [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123594-] and a Steam Early Access beta was subsequently canceled that November, as it was felt the changes made Hellraid unsuitable for the system. At that point, regular updates to the title's development blog ceased until this week's announcement.

While the door has seemingly been left open for Techland to return to Hellraid in the future, going forward the company will be consolidating development resources to provide additional support in expanding the Dying Light franchise.

Source: Official Blog [http://hellraid.com/blog/development-of-hellraid-official-statement]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
If it doesn't have free running, consider me not disappointed. Dying light was a pleasant first person experience and taking that freedom away would feel like a bit of a downgrade. This looks a bit Skyrimmy at first glance otherwise. Quite good looking though, and I loved the visceral combat of DL.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
Kind of a bummer. I had my eye on this one... I've been looking forward to something a little more Hexen for quite a while.now.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Goddammit I was looking SO forward to this too and now to just kill it outright, Goddammit Techland.

Codey

Sep 9, 2009
This is disappointing news. I hope that it will return in some form, preferable still having the vibe of Hexen, that a lot of us were looking forward to.
I don't know what didn't work, but hopefully it is a game they will return to and not scrap entirely.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
If it doesn't have free running, consider me not disappointed. Dying light was a pleasant first person experience and taking that freedom away would feel like a bit of a downgrade. This looks a bit Skyrimmy at first glance otherwise. Quite good looking though, and I loved the visceral combat of DL.
I have to agree, but that being said, I have been wanting a co-op Skyrim for years and would really love for them to pick up development before too long. Either that, or find another team that can make it happen.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Sounds like it's for the best: they couldn't make it in time for the last gen, and rebuilding it for the current one wasn't going smoothly. Same thing happened with the last guardian, too, right?

It's almost like someone in the industry was actually paying attention to Duke Nukem Forever.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I plopped this on my Wishlist because I loved Dying Light. It had a good combat style which I enjoy (Even if it gets easier later on). Sad to see this one go.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Seems like a very odd move, it would make sense if their audience were really demanding on the story or mechanics but that has never been the case. So stop your second guessing Techland and dump those assets into Dying Light, your fans won't give a shit how it comes out as long as there is room to fuck around.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I've never even heard of this game 'till now, pity my hopes of playing it anytime soon just went down the drain. Techland is pretty good at doing challenging melee combat, they're skills would work well in a dark fantasy game. Hopefully this game will actually be released at some point.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
That's a shame. The melee combat in Dead Island was one of the bright spots in that game, I was hoping they were using it in this one.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Bentusi16 said:
Warhammer: The End Times - Vermintide is still coming out so that's a thing and it seems to be like this game but with classes and such.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/235540/
The enemy types look pretty boring, but then again I have always thought that the skaven were a boring enemy.