Terraria's Massive, Free 1.3 Patch Launches Next Month

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Terraria's Massive, Free 1.3 Patch Launches Next Month

Re-Logic shows the right way to support your game post-launch with another massive Terraria patch.

first time he's said that [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/terraria].

Re-Logic teased the announcement with the video you can see above, showing off a few of the features in the new patch, such as the new underworld backgrounds.

A short list of some of the coolest things to expect in patch 1.3 include:

A new "expert" difficulty level.
Mac & Linux support.
A new "Lunar" event and a new "Martian Madness" event, complete with unique enemies and items.
Over 250 new items, including weapons, mounts, furniture, and pets.
Dozens of bug and quality-of-life fixes.

This is just a small taste of what's to come, so if you'd like to know more, you can check out the full patch notes [http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_features] of known updates for 1.3.

It's amazing to know that a four-year-old game is still getting such huge updates as this, completely free-of-charge. Better yet, the game currently only retails for a paltry $10 [http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600/].

Source: Re-Logic [http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_features]

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
My girl and I have been looking forward to this for a while, nice to get a solid date. Best $3.97 we ever spent. Even at $10 its still a good buy.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
ghalleon0915 said:
My girl and I have been looking forward to this for a while, nice to get a solid date. Best $3.97 we ever spent. Even at $10 its still a good buy.
Hell, even something like $50 would have still been a good deal considering just how much mileage me and my mates got from this game.

Terraria is freakin awesome: what's not to love about a sandbox Metroidvania?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Sounds like a very good reason to start playing Terraria again. ill see if my character is still around on my hard drive.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Awesomesauce. I look forward to making another character and another world to go through from scratch, like with the 1.1 and 1.2 updates!

Time to start speculating on what new things I can build my house out of...hard to top cactus and bubblegum blocks, though.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
The only think I care about is, will they let you get the gun-seller's coat? Been waiting for several patches for them to give us that vanity item, been pissing me right off.

Though if so, will be nice to go back and play it again.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Does the update contain the option to have your female character finally wear pants and shoes again instead of a pencil-skirt and pumps?
No?
Then I am still not interested in the game anymore.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Another one?
Wow. Especially after all this time...
I feel kind of spoilt. XD

Even if I haven't actually played terraria in ages, it's impressive to see them add even more content...

Wait... Was that a minecart system and a teleporter?
Wow. I uh... I've so wanted some kind of railway like thing in terraria... XD

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Been waiting for this update for months.

Re-Logic is one of the few indi...actually, one of the few devs in general, that I have the utmost respect and admiration for. What they've done with Terraria and for the community and fans is nothing short of fantastic. They even still do holiday/seasonal events with the game.

So good on Red and his team. I can't wait to get my hands on the new content and am anxiously anticipating the sequel and spin-off.

Steven Bogos said:
Lead developer Redigit says this will be the last patch of this scale for the game...
That would be because he and his primary team(s) are going to be concentrating all of their efforts on Terraria 2 and Terraria: Other World.

So, in this case, he's probably not going to flake on this statement.

CrystalShadow said:
My, it really has been ages since you've played. XD

The teleporter and rail-carts have been in for quite a while now - along with a host of other great new items, NPCs, events, biomes, mounts, pets, weapons, etc, etc.

You should definitely check them out.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Vigormortis said:
CrystalShadow said:
My, it really has been ages since you've played. XD

The teleporter and rail-carts have been in for quite a while now - along with a host of other great new items, NPCs, events, biomes, mounts, pets, weapons, etc, etc.

You should definitely check them out.
Huh. Yeah, I don't think I've really spent much time with it past the 1.1 patch...
And there was nothing like that back then.
Had a lot of fun with that ice rod and a pair of wings though.
Fly, create a block in mid-air, wait, fly again... You can basically keep going indefinitely that way. XD

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
CrystalShadow said:
Huh. Yeah, I don't think I've really spent much time with it past the 1.1 patch...
And there was nothing like that back then.
Had a lot of fun with that ice rod and a pair of wings though.
Fly, create a block in mid-air, wait, fly again... You can basically keep going indefinitely that way. XD
That's always fun. As was the Anti-Grav Hoverboard - Ninja Gear bug that let you literally fly indefinitely. (shame they patched it out)

But if you've not played it much since 1.1, then....ooph, there's SOOO much you've missed. 1.2 was massive.

So, I guess for you, the 1.3 patch will hold even more surprises. :p

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Oh, and to anyone interested, they teased the new music in the 1.3 patch back in February.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I'm so happy I bought this game at release for full price. The amount of content this game receives is beyond expectations of even the wildest modders of other games.

Also holy crap new music and backgrounds. Yeeeeah.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Kewl :3

Was playing it quite literally just minutes ago, working out an obsidian plant and whatnot. Got it free last month on xbox and I plan to get it for both mobile and PC soon enough.

Vigormortis said:
On closer inspection of the video....is that a Portal Gun in his inventory?!
Knowing Redigit, very likely. I mean, my playermodel in that game is wearing Zelda's dress XD

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Bindal said:
Does the update contain the option to have your female character finally wear pants and shoes again instead of a pencil-skirt and pumps?
No?
Then I am still not interested in the game anymore.
That sounds like a very petty reason to dislike a game.

Heck that means you must be dodging a wholeeeeeee lot of games for similar reasons.

OT:

Terraria, the gift that keeps on giving, if I actually could still be bothered to play it.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
EbonBehelit said:
ghalleon0915 said:
Hell, even something like $50 would have still been a good deal considering just how much mileage me and my mates got from this game.

Terraria is freakin awesome: what's not to love about a sandbox Metroidvania?
Yeah. 350 hours for me. @50$ thats still WAY cheaper than most other games I've played. I've taken to buy copies to friends.

I almost kinda hoped they were done updating as I've sunk more than enough time into this...but...with the new patch...comes a new character...man :p

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I've been hyped for this patch ever since it was first announced.
The previous patch was huge, and I've played it with my friends for god knows how long. Now this one won't change a damn thing about that. Still gonna play it day in, day out when it comes out. Aside from maybe Minecraft alpha and early beta, this is the best money spent for me.

Terraria is probably the only game that I didn't uninstall since the first time I've installed it on my computer. And it seems it's gonna stay there for a very long time. It's really unfortunate that Starbound ended up as it did. I was really hoping that it would be Terraria in Space. But thankfully 1.3 is coming out, then the other short Terraria prequel game and we already know that Terraria 2 is in the making.