The Hall of Fame Nominees That Almost Never Existed

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
The Hall of Fame Nominees That Almost Never Existed

Earlier this year, the Strong National Museum of Play, located in Rochester NY, established the World Video Game Hall of Fame to honor and celebrate individual games across a variety of platforms.

Read Full Article

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Even better is the Donkey Kong game again came under fire after it proved popular. Universal Studios sued Nintendo for trademark infringement on King Kong. Nintendo's lawyer helped them win by finding proof the King Kong character was not a Universal Studios property. He found an old case where Universal itself was being sued for infringement with the same King Kong movie and won by proving Kong's character's and plot public domain.

If Nintendo had not won, we would have had more sub par movie games based of King Kong at best, and Nintendo wouldn't have had the money or desire to break North America out of the 83' crash at worst. Sonic and Mario could have died before being born, again.

This story also tickles me because a few big video game IPs came from botched licensing deals. Doom was going to be an Alien based shooter. Fox's execs realized it's their job to absorb all creativity around them into the void that is their souls, and, thanks to that, id went with its iconic demon evisceration simulator.

pressfarttocontinue

Feb 26, 2015
Wow. Thank god for Popeye.

It's interesting to think that Mario was pretty much a "Plan B" for a video game idea.

Glad it worked out for everyone that way though.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I'm imagining a world where Popeye, not Mario, was the face of video gaming...

Huh.

Never thought that would be a crossroad in history.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Redlin5 said:
I'm imagining a world where Popeye, not Mario, was the face of video gaming...

Huh.

Never thought that would be a crossroad in history.
Yeah, "Super Spinach Brothers" just doesn't quite have the same ring to it.