Amazon Listing Reveals 1TB Xbox One

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Amazon Listing Reveals 1TB Xbox One

Amazon has added a new listing for an one terabyte version of the Xbox One.

Earlier this week, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141000-Sony-Preparing-New-PS4-With-1-Terabyte-HDD>news came out that Sony might likely has a one terabyte version of the PlayStation 4 in the works. That being the case, many figured it was just a matter of time before Microsoft came out with a similar version of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/xbox%20one?os=xbox+one>the Xbox One. Now, if a new product listing from Amazon is any evidence, it would seem that that day is arriving.

The listing, discovered on Amazon today, is for a separate version of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141027-The-Witcher-3-Xbox-One-Version-Locks-Out-Owners>the Xbox One that, among other standard features, will supposedly include "a 1TB internal hard drive." The product description goes on in more depth to say that the console "now includes a 1TB hard drive for storing games and media." While the listing doesn't come with any price, Amazon did include a June 15th release date. Gamers will likely recognize this as also being the <a href=http://www.winbeta.org/news/your-complete-guide-microsoft-e3-2015>same day as Microsoft's main presentation for E3 2015. This, of course, suggests that it had probably planned to announce the new high capacity console during its show.

That the 1TB console could be ready for purchase so soon also suggests that this is less a reaction to Sony and more likely something Microsoft's had in the works for awhile now. What will be interesting to see is how the two companies decide to price these new versions of their consoles once they're announced. Granted, they'll probably just match each other, but if one wound up being more expensive it could make for some interesting competition.

Source: Amazon

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Pfft. Console peasants. I'm rockin' 4TB up in here.

Though good for them, I guess; they've double their storage capacity.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Pfff, a single TB? And zero SSD/flash mem?
I have nearly seven TB in HDD's alone, and HDD's are cheap as shit nowadays.
Way to not one-up Sony!!!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009

Well...that's how it used to be anyway. We'll find out once E3 finally happens but I've been meaning to use this for a while now. What I'm really looking forward to would be a price cut on the new systems but honestly, I'm more tempted to import a 3DS than I am to get a PS4 or Xbone at this point. Again though, waiting for E3.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
1TB HDD? pppffft, I have a SSHD 2TB....And it was cheap. Could've gotten 4TB but by having that I'll feel too greedy.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Finally, both will have the capacity they should have started with. Though, I thought I read somewhere else that the rumored controller with a standard headset jack was included in the new SKU.

I'll be more impressed when you can access the xbone's HDD without voiding the warranty and MS stops tying to mimic Apple with locked down hardware and proprietary accessories. What the hell, MS? You at least let 360 owners swap out overpriced HDDs in proprietary cases (or buy an empty case for cheap and hack a drive with the security sector xbox looks for to make the drive work). It's kinda a step backwards, but the new controller is a step forwards, if really true.

Also, the Amazon listing is down. Someone goofed. Leave it to retailers to leak info (or troll the internet with false listings, in some cases).

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Well... hardware improvements. That's always nice to hear about, I suppose.

All we need to hope is that there are devs that take advantage of this tech and try to optimize the games. ... You know, maybe they could start with a consistent 60 fps on all of their games from now on.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
While 1tb is nice, my PC has that, and my WiiU has a 500gb HHD attached to it, and I've only used 200ish GB on it. Do you need a 1tb console? You're not going to store films or work on it, that's for a PC or the cloud.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Pfft. I felt like saying it, everybody else did. Anyone truly surprised? The need for a bigger hard drive was obvious when the reports of full hard drives came out on launch day.

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
Evil Smurf said:
While 1tb is nice, my PC has that, and my WiiU has a 500gb HHD attached to it, and I've only used 200ish GB on it. Do you need a 1tb console? You're not going to store films or work on it, that's for a PC or the cloud.
From all the games I have on the PS4, I am getting pretty close to "500GB" (which is actually more around 460ish). When you consider most games are around 40-50GB each or more in some cases, and the free games from PS+ (lack luster as of late but still), it's not that hard to fill.

Luckily, the PS4 has a hard drive you can change for a bigger one or a SSD if you're so inclined.
To everyone saying "big woopty fricken do" to 1TB in a console, need I bring up that the largest size of LAPTOP storage (the hard drive type that consoles have used since the PS3) I could find on tiger direct, newegg, and amazon is 2TB and the cheapest is $103 for a 5400RPM (Which is slow as hell)? A more reasonable speed (7200 RPM) runs well over $200. In what realm of existence is that "cheap". Unless they were going to make the hard drives themselves, or bulk up the consoles' size by quite a bit to allow for standard HDD, this criticism of size and cost is rather unfair.

However, if you really wanted to, Nyko IS coming out with an expansion for the PS4 in a few days that will allow for 3.5" drives. Xbox One though, simply not reasonably possible yet.

Zeljkia the Orc

Jun 5, 2015
Or, you know, I could get a Steam Machine once sales of those go up (not preorders, actual sales), and be able to play pretty much all the current gen games on it and then some.

Who want's to bet this causes the price of a Xbox One to jump back up to it's launch price?

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
You do now. Unlike the Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One install the game to the console. Which eats up memory quickly.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
A console with a 1 TB internal hard drive? that's like 1000 GB right?

That's four times the amount I got on my hard drive on my Xbox 360...

*faints while foaming at the mouth*

Hawk of the Plain

Jul 8, 2009
Just like the PS4 story from a few days ago. Welcome to 2009 Xbone!

Meanwhile I have 1.5 TB of SSD storage and 7TB of hard drive storage in my PC.

Fangface74

Lock 'n' Load
Feb 22, 2008
Now you can store even more digital titles you won't be able to play when the DRM has a fit.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
What's more amazing is the fact that they haven't been available this past decade. Big HDDs are cheap as fuck.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
whats the bet the access time is shockingly huge also why did they not release with that much space if they thought people would need it especially the Xbone wasn't it suppose to be the center of the living room now you only have 1 TB for all your anime movies and games

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Yawn. Forever playing catch up to the master race. I've had a 2TB drive dedicated to just games for several years now.