Capcom To Keep Milking Mega Man With Legacy Collection

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Capcom To Keep Milking Mega Man With Legacy Collection

Six NES installments collected again with a new gameplay mode.

Capcom is once again going back to the Mega Man well, reissuing titles in the series on modern platforms with additional content. Bound for PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo 3DS, Mega Man Legacy Collection will feature the original six games released for the NES, presented in an upscaled resolution.

In addition to the complete games, a "Challenge Mode" will be included. The new mode will feature remixed stage segments taken from the games with specific objectives to complete, which Capcom promises will provide a fresh challenge for veterans and newcomers alike. Rounding out the package is a "Museum Mode," where players can examine a collection of high-resolution art and learn more about the history of the franchise.

The Legacy Collection will mark the first appearance of Mega Man on Xbox One and PlayStation 4, while all six games have been previously made available on 3DS individually as Virtual Console titles.

The collection is planned to release this summer for PC and home consoles. The Nintendo 3DS launch is scheduled for winter.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTrTBqQwk-8]

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
*Mighty No. 9 getting released in a few months*

They could have had a new Mega Man game, but no, they blew off Mega Man and now it's obvious that it's still very popular. They can take their remake and shove it.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
No Megaman 7, 8, 9 or 10?

Come on Capcom you even trying?... Oh, what am I saying, it's Capcom, of course they don't.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Capcom, capcom capcom. We all need to pay the bills, but at least most of us actually put the fuckin work in to do so!
You can't keep pulling out your used teabags, blowing the cobwebs off and then selling them repeatedly. Just make a game! That's what you're supposed to do. What if musicians kept rereleasing their greatest hits, remastered each year instead of writing any new music? People would notice, wouldn't they?

Perhaps Capcom is just a public front for some rather unsavoury business shenanigans these days. Get the monkeys at the front desk to throw their turd outside every now and again, no one will question what's behind them.
Capcom have really mastered the fine art of doing fuck-all, it would appear.

Sep 24, 2008
Be careful everyone.

This here? Negative comments. And as you all know Capcom has sleepers in every forum there ever was, gathering data to gauge how much we love Mega Man. These three comments are probably enough to speak for all gamers worldwide, saying we're done with the Blue Bomber.

It was our fault the first time. Please, don't let it be our fault this time as well... :/

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
How I think it goes in a Capcom meeting:

CEO: 'Hey, ya know how EA is number one at being most hated game company?'
Everyone else: Yeah!!
CEO: 'Let us make the doing of things that has us the number of one.'
Everyone else: Yeah!!

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Oh. I thought that they meant "milking" him like in my dirty fanfics... But it's okay... I don't mind much...

ArdoNorrin

Sep 15, 2012
Or you could just track down the PS2/XBox version of the Mega Man Anniversary collection, which includes Mega Man 1-8 and the 2 fighting games...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sorry Capcom, I just checked back at the warehouse and it seems like we're simply all out of fucks to give at this point. You could help us resupply our inventory of fucks to give by actually making a new Mega Man game.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Theres still this much Megaman salt left on the internet?

I thought we ran out of veins to dig up years ago.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
... How can you have less content then the Anniversary collection? Isn't this a step back? I feel this is a step back.

Capcom, you want all the money? Megaman Legends Legacy rerelease with Megaman Legends, Legends 2, and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, with a spoiler animation when you beat all three to there maybe being a 3rd.

Hell, you can fill the rest of the disk with concept art of it, and of the cartoon you're supposed to be making..

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
What, no mention of the new Megaman TV show?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/02/new-mega-man-tv-series-coming-2017

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Inb4 on-disk DLC.

Amongst companies that re-package and sell off nostalgia, this has to be one of the laziest efforts. Probably cause there's a new console generation :/

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
ObsidianJones said:
Be careful everyone.

This here? Negative comments. And as you all know Capcom has sleepers in every forum there ever was, gathering data to gauge how much we love Mega Man. These three comments are probably enough to speak for all gamers worldwide, saying we're done with the Blue Bomber.

It was our fault the first time. Please, don't let it be our fault this time as well... :/
Dude, Megaman has been genuinely dead for years, and the only man capable of reviving it got paid 4 Million to do so without the burden of Crapcom's tentacles ensnaring it. This isn't milking Megaman so much as taking the dead skin of the horse (and only the skin because the rest of it is already being properly revived as a laser shooting alicorn) and beating it profusely. With a stick that's already been used to beat it earlier.

If Crapcom gave a damn about what we think, then uncanceling Megaman Legends 3, or the Megaman MMORPG; that would be a genuine step in the right direction. Hell, I'd shell out $500 to fund adventures for myself and friends in a Megaman X MMORPG, and you can fucking quote me on that. Re-selling us a lesser version of a bundle that was already made available a while ago, of content that was already resold?

Give me a reason to give a flying fuck. Give a reason for -anyone- to give a flying fuck. Their best move so far has been not punishing the efforts of a project made by a fan, and not challenging Mighty No 9. And when the best thing you've done for a franchise in years has been to stay the hell out of the way of other people making money off of it, that's shameful as hell.

Edit: If you were being sarcastic or anything, pardon me for not catching it. And excuse me if I seemed offensive in my little rant. I'm not trying to sound angry with any random person who could be making a genuine remark; I'm pissy with Crapcom. I love the Blue Bomber.

This bears reposting, because it's so amazing.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Armadox said:
... How can you have less content then the Anniversary collection? Isn't this a step back? I feel this is a step back.
That's about what I'm thinking right now.I can get porting or re-issuing individual titles to play on new platforms, but this just looks scummy when you released a game that better represented the entire MegaMan franchise back in fucking 2004.

And challenge mode will probably be akin to the stuff included in MegaMan 9 and 10 IIRC. Which means that, while it may be interesting, certainly won't be enough to justify whatever frigging price they're going to charge for this.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Areloch said:
HD flair?

What?

What does that even mean, in this case?
Best Case Scenario: They offer a mode where you play with redrawn spirtes in full size (similar to what DuckTales Remastered with the sprites - just with less fluid animations)

Worst Case Scenario: They just upscale everything to 720p or 1080p

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Bindal said:
Areloch said:
HD flair?

What?

What does that even mean, in this case?
Best Case Scenario: They offer a mode where you play with redrawn spirtes in full size (similar to what DuckTales Remastered with the sprites - just with less fluid animations)

Worst Case Scenario: They just upscale everything to 720p or 1080p
Yeah, when I saw that, I was hoping for the first thing, but then they didn't show anything else pertaining to it. So It's probably the latter.

Edit: Forgot the rest of my post there for a moment. It's never going to happen, but really, I'd like a proper HD megaman. We know the art can be done for it if we take a look at the latest representation of the blue bomber:

In my head, I see it as 3d art, but utilizing the tweenless frame-snap animation of Guilty Gear Xrd. So you'd have 3d artwork, but the snappiness of sprites. Then you lock that sucker to an orthographic camera so it still has that 2d feel to it and I'd probably pee my pants in joy.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
So they're stripping out everything that should be included in a new Anniversary Collection and doing some quick Rom hacks to make it look like they spiced it up. Way to capitalize on the Mighty No. 9 kickstarter, Capcom. It's not like the reasons Inafune got so much were because you treated him and Mega Man like junk and his idea is a new game. You could have at least put a port of Powered Up in there (with some annoying sounds taken out), or, you know, started making remakes of 2-8 in the Powered Up style.

I would have bought a collection of Mega Man 1-10 and Mega Man and Bass, but you wouldn't even bother going beyond the easy to work with NES game that we've been able to re-buy countless times.

I think I will try to find the Anniversay Collection and the Mega Man X collections online, just to enjoy them without letting you milk the franchise for almost no effort.

Also, Legends 3.
Objectable said:
What, no mention of the new Megaman TV show?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/02/new-mega-man-tv-series-coming-2017
I was wondering why we haven't got an article on here, too. That's some positive news from Capcom.

editI can't believe it, I can get copies of the Anniversary, X, and Zero Collections together on Amazon for less than $50. I might just go for all three, rather than feed the Capcom cash-in machine.