The Punisher Cast For Daredevil Season 2

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
The Punisher Cast For Daredevil Season 2

Marvel's Cinematic Universe finally has a home for The Punisher - the mean streets of Netflix's Daredevil Season 2.

By all accounts <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/daredevil>Marvel and Netflix's Daredevil was all kinds of amazing, a critical success <a href=http://marvel.com/news/tv/24699/jon_bernthal_cast_as_frank_castle_in_the_netflix_original_series_marvels_daredevil>that quickly prompted renewals for a second season. The only question that remained was where future episodes would take us - perhaps a renewed conflict with the Hand? The introduction of Elektra and Bullseye? While those are valid possibilities, Daredevil will introduce another Marvel vigilante first - Frank Castle, aka The Punisher, played by The Walking Dead's Jon Bernthal.

Originally introduced in the pages of Spider-Man, The Punisher quickly became one of the most popular and recognizable street-level vigilantes of Marvel Comics. Frank Castle was a Vietnam war veteran whose family was killed in the crossfire of a mob war, prompting him to use his unique skills for a one-man war on crime. The character made frequent appearances in Daredevil, where his willingness to kill clashed with Matt Murdock's refusal to take a life. The Punisher went on to star in multiple successful comic books and three Hollywood film adaptations, the latest of which was released in 2008 before Marvel reclaimed the license.

The Punisher isn't strictly a Daredevil character, but he's a wonderful addition to Marvel's Netflix line. He perfectly fits the street-level setting that leads into Defenders, and is a dark mirror to the instability Matt Murdock's faced throughout Season 1. Imagine Daredevil stepping up to face Kingpin again, only to be interrupted by a figure in a skull T-shirt who carries a rifle. It might just prove to be one of the best on-screen superhero throw-downs <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140727-Captain-America-Civil-War-Reveals-Plot-And-Cast-List>until Cap and Iron Man clash in Civil War.

While we're at it, Jon Bernthal should prove a fantastic choice for Frank Castle. From The Walking Dead, to Fury, to The Wolf of Wall Street, Bernthal has excelled at characters who are dangerous and unstable, yet strangely relatable. Here's hoping he's a great addition to Daredevil's already rock-solid cast.

Daredevil Season 2 will arrive on Netflix sometime in 2016.

Source: <a href=http://marvel.com/news/tv/24699/jon_bernthal_cast_as_frank_castle_in_the_netflix_original_series_marvels_daredevil>Marvel

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
I know about how good the first season is but I couldn't get into it.

I sure as shit will now though.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
I happen to remember really liking the 2008 Punisher movie. But this guy is a great choice.

bdeamon

Mar 20, 2013
He looks great, but I'm still hoping for another Thomas Jane Punisher movie or short.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
bdeamon said:
He looks great, but I'm still hoping for another Thomas Jane Punisher movie or short.
That has literally been my feelings on it since that movie came out. Highly underrated movie. And lets face facts, Thomas Jane has been doing very little career wise, lately.

I'm not mad at this. I think that guy is a great actor. He looks the part well enough, he is generally in sick shape.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Objectable said:
I happen to remember really liking the 2008 Punisher movie. But this guy is a great choice.
I actually think the last two were both good, one a more traditional action flick, the other a more comic-style one.

Plus, we get the Punisher in the Marvel Movie Universe without having to fully hash out his relatively basic backstory [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zxv1B4QXJ4]. They'll probably still have a 5 minute flashback to his family getting gunned down, but he definitely works better as a supporting character than a main.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013

This is the day we've been waiting for, the day Punisher joins the MCU

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I haven't watched any Daredevil yet and now I have a reason to look into it and start possibly hyping myself up. War Zone may have happened before the Marvel Phase One films but it's still my favorite Marvel film anyway. Hopefully this is an indication that Frank will be appearing in an upcoming film or two?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
I haven't watched any Daredevil yet and now I have a reason to look into it and start possibly hyping myself up. War Zone may have happened before the Marvel Phase One films but it's still my favorite Marvel film anyway. Hopefully this is an indication that Frank will be appearing in an upcoming film or two?
It might also mean they're planning to run a Punisher series on Netflix.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Shoggoth2588 said:
Maybe they can squeeze him into Civil War and I can get my favorite Punisher/Cap scene

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Booooo! I want Thomas Jane. His version of Frank Castle was a believable character. He'd fit within the MCU perfectly.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
kris40k said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
Maybe they can squeeze him into Civil War and I can get my favorite Punisher/Cap scene
I forgot about that scene. Best moment from Civil War IMO.
You know, if they pull the Defenders and some of the Agents of SHIELD side characters up into Civil War, they might actually have the cast and character variety to make it feel like a major conflict.
Looking forward to seeing Frank Castle in Netflix's Hells Kitchen.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Excellent decision to introduce the Punisher into the Daredevil series. Pure genius.

But man I hated this guy so much in the Walking Dead. Hopefully I can get over it!

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Looks the part, is already in pretty good shape so I'm sure they can bulk him up a little bit prior to it, I thought he was excellent in "Fury", "Walking Dead", and "The Wolf of Wall Street", and since DD is a Netflix show they don't have to cut down the violence at all.

Season 2 is gonna rock.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Man I was really hoping for Thomas Jane, but considering the actor himself doesn't think he's a good punisher (against all evidence to the contrary), I guess that was never going to happen.

Jon Bernthal is kinda known for his one archtype which absolutely doesn't fit the Punisher. I really hope he has the ability to play other types of characters as well.

That said, putting The Punisher in Daredevil was a really good move. He fits right at home there in the darker more brutal part of the mcu

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Booooo! I want Thomas Jane. His version of Frank Castle was a believable character. He'd fit within the MCU perfectly.
I agree, he was a very good Punisher. I do think that this guy will do a good job though. I really enjoyed him in Walking Dead, and actually sympathized with his character for a lot of the show. He was really good at conveying a person who was driven to some terrible actions due to past choices, and showing how that might mess up someone in the head. And let's face it Frank Castle is NOT stable, at all. So, I think he'll do a good job portraying that.

I'm not too sure about how they will introduce him though. Will he be the overarcing villain? I mean the final episode of Season 1 Daredevil flat out stated "It will be a year before Kingpin is arraigned" which implies heavily that his arraignment will happen when the shows starts season 2. This is my theory on this point:

1. In the 1st episode, or maybe 2nd, Kingpin will be transported to his arraignment, and his wife will show up with soldiers to bust him out, thus letting him be a valid villain for the show again, without any legal stuff going on.

2. After spending a year in white jumpsuits, he's going to adopt the more archetypal white suit look for the Kingpin.

3. Punisher will be a mid season, short term antagonist, but will eventually just wander off to go shoot people in another neck of the Marvel-verse.

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
This is perfect. I love the relationship between Daredevil and the Punisher, and it's perfect for the tone of the show. How I see it going down is sometime early in the season, Daredevil arrives to exact some blind justice on some criminals only to find them all brutally slaughtered. He finds out who did it, they meet, they argue, Punisher says something along the lines of "I'm doing the same thing you're doing, I'm just better/more effective at it", they throw down, and it's epic. They continue to butt heads over the course of the season eventually having to put aside their differences and team up to take down some big bad threat.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Fanghawk said:
The only question that remained was where future episodes would take us - perhaps a renewed conflict with the Hand? The introduction of Elektra and Bullseye? >
I.. I hope not. I know we can't get away with not having Elektra and Bullseye, but I hope they down play the Hand for a season, and just play around with the world a bit. Maybe we see a power vacuum appear that has villains fight for the Kingpin's scraps, like the Owl (son of the dead one), or.... Kangaroo maybe? I mean, why not? Maybe we can bring in Moon Knight or Snapdragon. That'd be fun. Stilt-man. Gladiator. Angar the Screamer. Beetle. Copperhead. Purple Man (I want to see him in DD before they drop him on Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. A chance to see his powers before they destroy those two would be a good thing) Typhoid Mary. Ringmaster. Tombstone.

Daredevil HAS a lot of options to work with, they really don't need to immediately get into the Hand...

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
kris40k said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
One of my favorite scenes in civil war, and I think this guy can pull it off beautifully if they spring to include him in civil war. I would love to see that. Although I don't know which villains he'd kill. I'm super happy with this casting.