The First Fallout 4 Details Revealed - Update

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
The First Fallout 4 Details Revealed - Update

The full reveal from Bethesda's first E3 press conference, including a release date.

Read Full Article

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
Is this what it feels like to be an old grumpy fan who doesn't like change? I feel like a lot of these things should make me giddy but they don't.

The voiced protagonist while cool seems really limiting and jarring considering fallout was still one of those RPGs you could be the character and immerse yourself and not just watch and control some other dudes story.

The new settlement should be amazing but it just seems really gimmicky to add into a series after 4 games that didn't really need it.

The new crafting system for weapons and power armor did seem really cool and amazing but i have one quibble.

Power armor are not small scale mechs they're battlesuits that amplified a soldiers power not a robot that the soldier piloted. And why does it have jet packs? Why is power armor tech advancing when nobody has the tech to make them anymore except the enclave (please don't bring them back for a third time, please).

(I'm all over that ios game and real life pip boy though, i want it so much)

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
*Puts cigarette in mouth*

That was amazing.

Customizing guns and armour galore.
Making your own settlement/home.
Being in a Vertibird with your dog.

Now give me one of dem airships and I'll be perfectly amazed.
To be perfectly honest, I was ashamed to be on the hype train. After this though, I simply don't care. I'll even pick up that damn collectors edition. Yes, I am kind of a sucker, but I have been one for a while ... At least for Fallout.

What makes me somewhat "meh" or "eh" on is the story component.
I love how you can customize BOTH genders. Heck, It will even be more awesome if your wife and baby survived (which they probably will). Yet, the whole origin of the story is that you are already a family man and all of that. Which I'm not much a fan of. I loved the whole growing up part of Fallout 3. Well, I only hope that I can choose the ages, because I feel like the MC can be a little younger.

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
fluxy100 said:
Is this what it feels like to be an old grumpy fan who doesn't like change?
Pretty much, yeah. If it makes you feel any better, I felt exactly the same way about Fallout 3. I got over it.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
I'm not going to lie, when he said we see the nuclear blast but make it into the vault and then reemerge 200 years later, I was hoping we put all that time into customization only to play the whole game as a ghoul.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I have a few problems with it. They're not numerous, but they're big ones:

-Voice acted protagonist makes it impossible to self-insert. So now it's no longer YOUR character. Instead you're just controlling some random guy.

-The protagonist starts out as married, giving you a lot of pre-conceived notions about how he acts before the game even begins (again, not your character anymore). It makes you feel like you're stepping into the save file of someone else's Fallout game and not making one your own.

-The dialogue wheel limits the number of dialogue options available to three, which isn't ever good.

-The Pip Boy animations. Those Goldeneye 3D models for objects look terrible and the pop-ups are going to get annoying very, very quickly.

gact

May 26, 2014
I loved everything about it, except the HUD but mods for those will appear within a week from launch, and I want that pipboy but since I live in a third world country there will not be any special editions released here =(

LegoDudeGuy

Young punks, get off my lawn.
Jun 9, 2010
GIVE THIS TO ME, THIS MUST BE IN MY LIFE THIS VERY INSTANT!!!!

...ahem...

Yeah, the reveal was truly mind-blowing, at least for me, and I absolutely cannot wait for when my CE hits my front porch and I install this bad boy.

The building and power system does seem interesting, and cannot wait for what people can cook up with it, and what modders could potentially modify about it to even further increase its capabilities.

The armor and weapon crafting systems seems incredibly customization, and cannot wait to create a actual full auto laser rifle and/or grenade launcher.

Also, Power Armor with JETPACKS? Sign me up for this radioactive rodeo!

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
I extremely impressed with the game. I really cant wait for this one and i sat through the whole conference with my fingers crossed hoping he would say it will be released this year. after seeing all the content we were shown i really felt he would say next year but god dammit he said THIS NOVEMBER!!!

Also am i reading the article right here??? I think the way you explained it seems like your the baby but your not your the father.
I also have a feeling the baby will survive and maybe the mother.

I wonder what the story is while your in the vault though....maybe you go into some sort of stasis but the mother aand child arent in it yet and when you wake up everyone is just gone and the place is trashed or somethin i dunno.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
fluxy100 said:
Is this what it feels like to be an old grumpy fan who doesn't like change? I feel like a lot of these things should make me giddy but they don't.

The voiced protagonist while cool seems really limiting and jarring considering fallout was still one of those RPGs you could be the character and immerse yourself and not just watch and control some other dudes story.

The new settlement should be amazing but it just seems really gimmicky to add into a series after 4 games that didn't really need it.

The new crafting system for weapons and power armor did seem really cool and amazing but i have one quibble.

Power armor are not small scale mechs they're battlesuits that amplified a soldiers power not a robot that the soldier piloted. And why does it have jet packs? Why is power armor tech advancing when nobody has the tech to make them anymore except the enclave (please don't bring them back for a third time, please).

(I'm all over that ios game and real life pip boy though, i want it so much)
Eh, when it comes to the Power Armor, I kind of prefer the current interpretation offered (although it's occurred to me that there might be a 'light' and 'heavy' variant, with the latter being the newly introduced mech-like suit.) I remember Fallout 3 made sort of a big deal about how you needed special training to operate Power Armor, blah blah blah, (unless you use Operation Anchorage's shortcut to avoid all that) but ultimately on a mechanical level it never really felt any different from an operational standpoint than any other gear or clothing in the game. You put it on like normal gear, it operates like normal (albeit heavy with a good damage resistance) gear, etc, I don't remember ever feeling like I was supposedly wearing this suit that amplified much of anything.

Even if this game's introduction of Power Armor doesn't fit canon (and, again, this is assuming there isn't some explanation for the differences shown; doesn't Boston have that organization known for high-tech work in things like robotics and AI?) I'm probably going to actually wear this version. x3 Does leave me curious as to how you carry it around, though; given it seems to have a 'standalone' version that you can step into, does this mean you'll need to disassemble/reassemble it between uses?

Settlements I'm firmly on the 'It Depends On How They Implement It' fence. Potential to be really cool (certainly looks more involved, and with far more room for creativity, than Skyrim's Hearthstone expansion had,) but I think something that might make or break it is the quality of settlers, i.e. NPCs, who join you. If they can make it feel like a suitably living, breathing settlement that you've helped build back up, then I think it could be great. Keep thinking about little moments in Fallout 3 like helping out the inhabitants of Big Town; in retrospect, helping them solidify their little settlement in the long run coulda been pretty awesome.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
SeventhSigil said:
Eh, when it comes to the Power Armor, I kind of prefer the current interpretation offered (although it's occurred to me that there might be a 'light' and 'heavy' variant, with the latter being the newly introduced mech-like suit.) I remember Fallout 3 made sort of a big deal about how you needed special training to operate Power Armor, blah blah blah, (unless you use Operation Anchorage's shortcut to avoid all that) but ultimately on a mechanical level it never really felt any different from an operational standpoint than any other gear or clothing in the game. You put it on like normal gear, it operates like normal (albeit heavy with a good damage resistance) gear, etc, I don't remember ever feeling like I was supposedly wearing this suit that amplified much of anything.

Even if this game's introduction of Power Armor doesn't fit canon (and, again, this is assuming there isn't some explanation for the differences shown; doesn't Boston have that organization known for high-tech work in things like robotics and AI?) I'm probably going to actually wear this version. x3 Does leave me curious as to how you carry it around, though; given it seems to have a 'standalone' version that you can step into, does this mean you'll need to disassemble/reassemble it between uses?
If there's a heavy and light variants then I'm cool with the power armor, power armor always felt like that end game equipment that you kept on and you could immediately tell your character could handle things, I don't want it to be something that is essentially a vehicle.

Willy Rogers

Aug 20, 2014
Not digging the voiced character, but at least they said they recorded names for your character so I name my guy Norm, they'll call me Norm which will hopefully lead to a Cheers reference. On the other hand, I probably won't be able to call my character Grand Emperor of the NuKa Cola Consortium or anything ridiculous, which saddens me. Here's hoping theirs some actual vegetation seeing as it's 200 after the apocalypse.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
fluxy100 said:
If there's a heavy and light variants then I'm cool with the power armor, power armor always felt like that end game equipment that you kept on and you could immediately tell your character could handle things, I don't want it to be something that is essentially a vehicle.
The funny thing is I never actually used late game power armor. x3 Measured its sheer weight against its damage resistance bonus and, given by that time in the game I'd be all manner of butt-kicking, decide '....ehhhhh, don't really need, IN THE CLOSET YOU GO!' That and I was a sucker for a cowboy hat and Regulator Duster, because Wasteland Cowboy Bounty Hunter ahoy. Actually found the Operation Anchorage one more useful, as whenever I made a new character I'd always swing down south to go get it, give me the Damage Resistance edge to get through the early-game a bit easier, when your stats are low, you've pretty much just got a pistol and half-busted automatic rifle and your aim sucks.

Zeljkia the Orc

Jun 5, 2015
After seeing the confrence I had to go buy a cigar. I also like how it's using the Skyrim Engine so modders wont have to drasticly change things, but I feel they could of updated it a bit more. It looked like my skyrim does when I got my pretty mods running.

While I kind of agree that a voice protagonist will kind of take you out of the immersion, I would like to believe we, as gamers, can finally move past the Heroic Mime trope. I already know I will be spending tons of time on my settlements, probably never finishing the story. This is what I wanted since Fallout 3, a place I could actually call home.

I'm gonna be pissed though if it's like the Skyrim DLC, that was annoying. Sure, I'm the Dragonborn, killed Alduin, became the harbinger of the companions, the speaker for the dark brotherhood, the head of the mages college, a Nightengale for Noctural, and effectively ended the civil war in Skyrim, but for some reason my jackass of a husband keeps getting kidnapped by bandits.

YOU ARE AN ORC. ORC IT UP YOU BASTARD.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
What is important is that Bethesda showed clearly that Fallout 4 can handle racial and gender diversity responsibly. See? Not really that hard after all, is it, CD Projekt?

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
The dialogue wheel and voiced protagonist make me feel like it's saying "LOOK! LOOK! WE CAN BE CINEMATIC LIKE BIOWARE TOO!" and I just can't stand it.

The wheel removes dialogue options which removes abilities to role play and making the protagonist voiced will making modding more difficult since it will stand out if he's not speaking.

I just hope they don't go with a stupid binary moral choice system tied into the dialogue wheel... If so I'm just going to wait until mods allow me to play a real Fallout game.

fluxy100 said:
I'm not going to lie, when he said we see the nuclear blast but make it into the vault and then reemerge 200 years later, I was hoping we put all that time into customization only to play the whole game as a ghoul.
That would be an about turn worthy of the first moment you see the Hollowed Dark Souls character you just spent half an hour on.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
November 11th? That feels a bit to soon for some reason. I thought it wouldn't be out till 2016.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Here is a mechanism that I simple do not care about: crafting.

It has been overused, it is hardly original and interesting anymore, takes time, makes you collect a ton of stuff without being involved in the story. I greatly prefer to discover a plethora of great items and, sure let me customize them in some minor ways, but I am starting to dread the vision of a workbench in any game.

Granted, in universes like Fallout and The Witcher (with alchemy), it kinda of makes sense but I was never a big fan and it sure makes me worry when it is pushed to the forefront as a big feature.

I would like a quest to craft one superitem, but crafting as a daily activity irritates me to no end. Let´s hope we can keep away from it like I do in other Bethesda Games, but it seams like it is a big thing now.

Oh, boy.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Fulbert said:
What is important is that Bethesda showed clearly that Fallout 4 can handle racial and gender diversity responsibly. See? Not really that hard after all, is it, CD Projekt?
Although I think it is great that some companies are approaching gender and racial issues in a more progressive manner (and I want more of that), not all entertainment has to do it - specially one based on a previous published work, clearly inspired by medieval Europe. There is being insensitive and there is a story framed by time and geography, those are very, very different things.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
It looked like complete and utter trash.

Right up until the building appeared. Then I was interested. Weapon customization sold me. Hopefully someone makes a mod to change the start of the game and rip out the voice and dialog wheel.