New Halo 5: Guardians Details, Trailers Revealed - Update

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
"Master Chief's story will be heavily affected by Blue Team."

I need more context. What 'Blue Team'? Also nothing quite like having sympathy for the Chief forced on us. I love it when that happens.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
"Warzone"? It's too bad, I never played Halo for the multiplayer.

That being said, I would start if you could play as any enemy race in multiplayer deathmatch, not just spartans and elites. I dunno, has that been done already?

I always thought it would be cool to play as a hunter, but officially, not through mods. Or as a jackal perhaps.

Eh, that would probably be too hard to properly balance.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
It looks like a sort of Halo meets Titanfall, which could certainly be fun, Titanfall was very well made, just not enough of it was made.

Still not enough to make me buy a Xbone though.
Thyunda said:
I need more context. What 'Blue Team'? Also nothing quite like having sympathy for the Chief forced on us. I love it when that happens.
THE BLUE TEAM!

It's obviously Church, Tucker, Caboose, Wash and Freckles. If we're really lucky Tex, Sheila and Carolina will show up too, although Microsoft is traditionally scared of female heroes in case they bring too many cooties.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Thyunda said:

Apparently, Linda-058, Kelly-087, and Fred-104 from the Halo book series. I was wondering of they were ever gonna merge SP coop and the lore about more Spartan-II's beyond the Chief surviving. Glad they didn't waste that opportunity.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Thyunda said:
THE BLUE TEAM!

It's obviously Church, Tucker, Caboose, Wash and Freckles. If we're really lucky Tex, Sheila and Carolina will show up too, although Microsoft is traditionally scared of female heroes in case they bring too many cooties.

I won't lie, I did harbour a teeny bit of hope that that might be the case.

kael013 said:
Thyunda said:

Apparently, Linda-058, Kelly-087, and Fred-104 from the Halo book series. I was wondering of they were ever gonna merge SP coop and the lore about more Spartan-II's beyond the Chief surviving. Glad they didn't waste that opportunity.
That would actually change my opinion of 343 Industries a little if they start using the established expanded universe lore. More proper Spartans can only be a good thing.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Thyunda said:
That would actually change my opinion of 343 Industries a little if they start using the established expanded universe lore. More proper Spartans can only be a good thing.
Be very careful what you wish for, major IP seems to love bringing in prominent characters from their respective expanded universes just so they can take delight in killing them off in the most perfunctory way possible.

It wouldn't surprise me if all the officially surviving Spartan IIs have committed glorious heroic sacrifice by the last third of the game. 'Heavily affected by' is clearly a euphemism for 'coping with the loss of' in my eyes.

#Edit, the appearance of Buck fills me with dread as well, after the lengths they went to to kill Rookie in tie in media.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
The only part that got any kind of reaction for me was the grunt running by yelling "I REGRET EVERYTHING!" I love those poo little rascals.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I like it. Looks good, but I hate this storyline. I'm so tired of it.

"Oh, well done. You saved the galaxy/planet/city/whatever from the giant threat. That was X-number of years ago, so step off. You're not important anymore/you're an inconvenience to the world now, blah blah blah."

Saw it in Star Wars, saw it in Halo 4, saw it in Mass Effect. There are just so many stories out there with this exact same thing, and I simply cannot wrap my head around it. Master Chief LITERALLY saved all sentient life in the galaxy, and in Halo 4 he saved all of Earth because let's be honest, stopping that ship thing probably wasn't possible with anything that the humans have. Unless he is trying to wipe out all life, I think it's safe to say that he's not a bad guy.

At least Buck gets it. "Everyone's going to hate us." No kidding.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I stopped at "The Covenant's final stronghold".

No, Halo 5. No. That's fanfiction 101.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Evonisia said:

It might be their final Stronghold but I doubt they would all be gone just cause that got destroyed. I bet in Halo 6 there will be smaller pockets left around the Universe.

But your right, that line is kinda FanFiction. XD Still looking forward to it and the new game mode.

Sniper Team 4 said:
I've seen hints around that the Chief did something to actually warrant the man-hunt. I'm betting it's something so morally grey that it's up to the player to decide whether or not Master Chief is right or wrong.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
It's not so much that I'm fond of expanded-universe characters nor even all too aware of them. My knowledge of the Halo-verse is fairly insignificant. I held 343 Industries in disdain because, at least in my opinion, their Title Update changes to Reach and the general tone and style of Halo 4 felt like a totally different series to the original trilogy, if you will. Gameplay-wise in Reach, but 4 just felt like a generic popcorn sci-fi.
I can get away with knowing shit-all about the expanded universe because I'm the player. I explore the universe presented to me via the medium most closely available. 343 Industries are adding to a universe created by somebody else, so at least if they start pulling characters from the expanded universe it means they're acknowledging that universe and, hopefully, behaving in a manner that would be consistent with such.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Dalek Caan said:
Evonisia said:

It might be their final Stronghold but I doubt they would all be gone just cause that got destroyed. I bet in Halo 6 there will be smaller pockets left around the Universe.

But your right, that line is kinda FanFiction. XD Still looking forward to it and the new game mode.
It's less to do with the feasibility of Brutes still having holdouts and more to do with how token it feels. They feel compelled to include a Covenant aspect to the story even though nobody batted a single thought about them in Halo 4, nor were they mentioned. It's more an issue with Halo 4's fan fictiony writing lingering on in its sequels.

IIRC, the Brutes were actually starting to recover before 343's canon took over, because the Elites didn't know how to repurpose Forerunner technology without the assistance of the Prophets. Could have made for an interesting post-Halo 3 universe, but alas.

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
New Halo 5: Guardians Details, Trailers Revealed - Update

343 Industries has revealed more details on the upcoming Halo 5: Guardians at the Xbox E3 briefing on Monday.

Read Full Article

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
They brought in Nathan Fillion. Hoo boy.

Well Microsoft, that's not quite enough to convince me to buy an Xbox One, but you sure know how to jump up and down on that scale...

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Evonisia said:

How so? Jul's forces consider themselves the true successors to the Covenant and are the largest/most-powerful of the post-war Covenant factions. Hence, the The Swords of Sanghelios (and often the UNSC) refer to them as the Covenant.

Evonisia said:
It's less to do with the feasibility of Brutes still having holdouts and more to do with how token it feels. They feel compelled to include a Covenant aspect to the story even though nobody batted a single thought about them in Halo 4, nor were they mentioned. It's more an issue with Halo 4's fan fictiony writing lingering on in its sequels.

IIRC, the Brutes were actually starting to recover before 343's canon took over, because the Elites didn't know how to repurpose Forerunner technology without the assistance of the Prophets. Could have made for an interesting post-Halo 3 universe, but alas.
The Brutes fell into in-fighting after the events of Halo 3. Even more than the Elites, the Brutes suffered greatly from the loss of leadership and technical assistance provided by the Prophets. They have since become heavily divided along tribal lines and haven't been a significant player in the post-war environment. As such, the Brutes aren't a priority for the Arbiter or the UNSC at the moment (aside from joint-UNSC and Swords of Sanghelios political efforts to unite the Brutes as an ally). This is also why they aren't seen in Halo 4 - they aren't part of Jul's forces because (a) they're not really interested in what he's up to, and (b) Jul most likely doesn't want them in his Covenant after the Great Schism and general Elite dislike for the Brutes.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:

"Oh, well done. You saved the galaxy/planet/city/whatever from the giant threat. That was X-number of years ago, so step off. You're not important anymore/you're an inconvenience to the world now, blah blah blah."
That's not exactly what's happening. The MC and other Spartan IIs are still an invaluable UNSC assets that command huge respect. But due to the events of Halo 4, the Chief has become embroiled in something far greater than the UNSC can comprehend and requires him to go solo (with Blue Team) in order to do his duty.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
An Ceannaire said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

That's not exactly what's happening. The MC and other Spartan IIs are still an invaluable UNSC assets that command huge respect. But due to the events of Halo 4, the Chief has become embroiled in something far greater than the UNSC can comprehend and requires him to go solo (with Blue Team) in order to do his duty.
And while the UNSC might support the Chief I think ONI have their own plans so that's why they are surrently hunting him down. I knew those Spooks could never be trusted.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
An Ceannaire said:
Evonisia said:

How so? Jul's forces consider themselves the true successors to the Covenant and are the largest/most-powerful of the post-war Covenant factions. Hence, the The Swords of Sanghelios (and often the UNSC) refer to them as the Covenant.
They can call themselves what they want: they aren't the Covenant and never will be. Though full disclosure, I was annoyed that the UNSC/Separatists kept calling the Covenant Loyalists the Covenant in Halo 3, but at least the Loyalists could claim that they technically never left the organisation. It comes off as just an excuse to restore a status quo just because it's your story, which is very fan-oriented and less logic-oriented. Halo 4 did the exact same thing (given that it appears to be the same organisation), and it was horrible then as well. Halo: Reach also kinda did this, and I suppose ODST did as well (to a much lesser extent).

The Brutes fell into in-fighting after the events of Halo 3. Even more than the Elites, the Brutes suffered greatly from the loss of leadership and technical assistance provided by the Prophets. They have since become heavily divided along tribal lines and haven't been a significant player in the post-war environment. As such, the Brutes aren't a priority for the Arbiter or the UNSC at the moment (aside from joint-UNSC and Swords of Sanghelios political efforts to unite the Brutes as an ally). This is also why they aren't seen in Halo 4 - they aren't part of Jul's forces because (a) they're not really interested in what he's up to, and (b) Jul most likely doesn't want them in his Covenant after the Great Schism and general Elite dislike for the Brutes.
Thanks for updating me. Seems the Brutes have faired better than some other races once the scalpel of 343 descended on the franchise.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Evonisia said:
They can call themselves what they want: they aren't the Covenant and never will be.
That's irrelevant though. Jul considers his faction to be the continuation of Covenant and most of the Elites and UNSC refer to his group as such.

Though full disclosure, I was annoyed that the UNSC/Separatists kept calling the Covenant Loyalists the Covenant in Halo 3
Old habits die hard. The UNSC had been fighting the Elites (who represented the most dangerous forces of Covenant) for over 25 years by the time of the Great Schism. In addition, it might have been acknowledgement by the UNSC command that they recognised the Arbiter's forces as the "legitimate" faction in the schism.

It comes off as just an excuse to restore a status quo just because it's your story, which is very fan-oriented and less logic-oriented. Halo 4 did the exact same thing (given that it appears to be the same organisation), and it was horrible then as well. Halo: Reach also kinda did this, and I suppose ODST did as well (to a much lesser extent).
I'm failing to understand what you mean about all of this being illogical.

Thanks for updating me. Seems the Brutes have faired better than some other races once the scalpel of 343 descended on the franchise.
What's wrong with what happened to the Elites?