Star Fox Wii U is Coming This Year

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Star Fox Wii U is Coming This Year

Nintendo opened it's direct event with a massive showing from Star Fox Wii U.

Read Full Article

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I reallllly hope it doesn't kind of suck like armada did.

Eternal Visitor

Sep 14, 2010
that transformation shot looks straight out of star fox 2, just with new graphics.

not that that's a bad thing mind, just funny.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Either those screenshots aren't doing the game justice or those graphics are baaaaad for 2015. That said graphics are a tertiary concern for me, so I eagerly await release to find out if this is a real game or a collection of gimmicks to try and sell people on the stupid tea tray impersonating a controller. Or for that matter just plain bad, Armada was meh and command was shit so my confidence in the franchise isn't super high.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
I am too fucking happy.
I just hope this will be like the first two and I hope beyond all expectation this will be good.
I might just buy a wii U for this.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
It really bothers me that Nintendo keep cramming gimmicks into Starfox titles. Starfox 64 is so great because it's focused entirely on mechanics and gameplay, doing well at it needs no more than skill. It boggles my mind that Nintendo stick to the formula so rigidly with Zelda, Mario and Pokemon yet feel the need to tinker arbitrarily with their other franchises.
Steven Bogos said:
cool Wii U-gamepad specific features.
Sorry Steve, but that's an oxymoron.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I was already planning to get a Wii U this year, now I know when to get it. Which is good timing as my bday is in November :p

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
The gamepad part looked a bit tacked on. Hope you can just play on 1 screen. Otherwise, great stuff. Loved the transforming into walking creature thing.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
This is the only thing that I'm vaguely interested in from nintendo e3 this year. Really boring year for nintendo, yay more dlc, 4 player co-op games out the wazzou.

Woopee.

Jan 27, 2011
Westaway said:
How does Nintendo keep getting away with such terrible graphics
Because most people feel that good gameplay is enough to forgive slightly less than eyeball searing graphics?

Personally, I think the graphics look fantastic. I don't see what your complaint is.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I don't know how I feel about the gyroscope aiming thing to be honest. When I think back to control gimmicks Nintendo has used in the past, I can't think of anything other than the awful Skyward Sword control scheme and the Metroid Prime Pointer control scheme which I also absolutely hated. Neither of those could be changed in the options menu and that makes me think that there probably won't be any option other than to either get used to the gyro-aiming system or get left behind on the first stage.

All that aside though, I am really interested in the game. I can't wait to give this one a try and have always really liked most Star Fox games, even Armada.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Westaway said:
Miyamoto has stated several times that he doesn't care about graphics, he cares about gameplay.

The Order 1886 was an incredibly gorgeous game, and it also sucked so hard it defied comprehension.

It is possible to have both, but according to Ninty, gameplay takes priority.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
aegix drakan said:
Westaway said:
Because most people feel that good gameplay is enough to forgive slightly less than eyeball searing graphics?

Personally, I think the graphics look fantastic. I don't see what your complaint is.
Same here. I've noticed so many people think the visuals are terrible, but they are pretty good. Plus the game is not finished, so I imagine it will look a bit better once released.

OT: The control scheme is a bit concerning for me. I actually like Gyroscope aiming, but I feel as though it may be difficult to enjoy the images on the screen, and concentrate on shooting. Despite that, I've been wanting a new Star Fox for a long time, and it has a lot of potential.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Jeezus, people harping on about the graphics is annoying. "Oh it looks worse than Star Wars on Gamecube!" Really? Piss off.
You would have played that at 480i on a tube-style TV back in 2001. Everyone did. Unless you're bumping the graphic fidelity on an emulator, it's not really comparable.
Yes, Star Fox Zero is not the most graphically impressive game, but at least it has a relatively 'clean' looking artstyle that should hold up years later.
Honestly, I'm just happy to get a space-fighter game on a Nintendo home console again. I miss Rogue Squadron and the genre in general.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Amen to the graphics complaints. It looks fine, cmon guys. It's also not finished. Yes, there are some muddy spots. I also saw some things that looked outright not finished. Hence why this is coming out in 6 months or so.

Also, I don't think we need to worry about control schemes. If you look closely at 2 different points, you can see that both control schemes should be allowed.

Example 1: When the Arwing was turning around to fire upon the red fortress, you can see no crosshair. But look at every other section with the Arwing. I see it there, operating as it should.

Example 2: This is the most important one. If you look closely at the Landmaster section with the giant worm, there's no crosshair, as it showcases the cockpit aiming mode. But look at just before the Landmaster transforms. What do you see? A crosshair.

Of course, both are these have slight problems... You can see a crosshair when the walker is being used on Corneria. Because of that, these examples might not hold up. But, I'm sticking with this assumption for now. Let's also put it this way. I don't think Nintendo of all people would force this idea without an option to turn it off if one half of the modes works properly for most of the gameplay shown.

Also, so excited. Holy hell... Looks great. Can't wait to get a Wii U!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
aegix drakan said:

Or Nintendo could focus on good gameplay and good graphics, like with Super Mario 3D World.

The levels in this game look like slightly uprezzed versions of the Gummi ship sections from Kingdom Hearts 2. Just big, empty, lifeless, textureless spaces. I was getting flashbacks to MDK during that trailer. It would've been fine had this been a remaster of the 64 version, but if they made this game from the ground up for the Wii-U... Eesh!