Metroid Prime: Federation Force Brings 4-Player Co-op to 3DS

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Metroid Prime: Federation Force Brings 4-Player Co-op to 3DS

Metroid Prime: Federation Force is coming first quarter 2016, along with Metroid Prime: Blastball.

Read Full Article

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
.........Fuck what?

The first new Metroid game since fucking 2007 (OTHER M DOESN'T COUNT!) and it's a co-op focused multiplayer game? And a shooter that isn't Metroid Prime? On the 3DS, something that would've been more well suited to a side scroller? Well...

<youtube=cdEQmpVIE4A>

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Wow, that looks like absolute unreedeemable shit on every conceivable level (DEM N64 TEXTURES). Christ N, why don't you just send Reggie to personally cockslap Metroid fans? It would send then same message, just less without the thin facade of actually giving a fuck.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah... if it weren't for the title telling us it's a Metroid game, I wouldn't way it's a Metroid game due to its chibi/ kid like artsytle well for the player character. Was going to say it look like Blast Ball but that got answer for me.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
.... Wat.

Who at Nintendo looked at Prime: Hunters and thought making another multiplayer fps on a goddamn handheld was a good idea? Instead of the proper new Metroid game that we've been awaiting for like seven years?

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood riding the coattails of my disappointment in Dark Souls 2..... but sweet damn does this make me feel just a little bit dead on the inside.

Jak2364

Feb 9, 2010
I'm glad I have zero interest in this game, because I get the feeling it's going to be really shitty for left-handed people to attempt playing unless it has circle pad pro/new3ds joystick support. Either way would mean I'd have to pay more money just to make a game playable.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Looks like a fun little title. The Treehouse was streaming it and they had troubles coordinating so it ended up looking like a slapstick comedy

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Honestly, I can't be snide about this.
The long absence of one of my absolute favorite series has had me discussing an awful lot with others about what makes Metroid good, and what doesn't.

I wouldn't necessarily be averse to another multiplayer Prime game if not for one thing: THE FINGER CRUSHING CONTROLS.
SERIOUSLY NINTENDO. Stop trying to make games that require, at least, twin analog sticks on your handhelds!

I said the same thing I about MP:Hunters and Kid Icarus: Uprising, and I'll howl it at Nintendo until they fucking learn.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Wut? What? What the absolute fuck? We've been waiting 8 years (again) for a good Metroid game and they show off this?

Listen, I heard the multi-player in MP: Hunters was the best part of that game, but I've played the campaign. It was boring, and either control scheme caused a variety of hand cramps. It was also barely Metroidvania. It wasn't fun to explore, and the only upgrades that opened up new areas were the other hunters' weapons.

I got a bad feeling they just made another shooter with the Metroid name on it, because having more than one player is going to make the exploration aspect of the series hard to pull off. And, from my experience with Hunter's campaign, they might dumb down the explorative level design even more to focus on combat for the 4 player co-op. As I think I said in the Blast Ball reveal, hopeful they think of a better control scheme, too. It might be really be fun, but I think tacking on the Metroid name is about as bad as giving us a dully, linear game with a horrible story and calling it Metroid (Not that Nintendo would do that right, right?).

Also why must they use chibified character models? (It's easy to design with the 3DS's limited graphical power, I guess.) Metroid is one of the few serious series Nintendo has. The last 5 years (not naming a game that needs no mention) suggests they don't know what to do with the series, and that is sad since rom hackers have been churning out games that look like legitimate sequels/re-imaginings using Super Metroid as a base for years.

Please, Nintendo, make a real Metroid for the Wii U, before it's replaced, or a 2D Metroid that builds off Zero Mission's excellent design philosophy. I don't care which. I'm worried that you will again write off the series, or forget what makes it special by focusing on these spinoffs, if they prove popular. At least AM2R hasn't got a C&D. (Do fuck with that, Nintendo.) That's been the main Metroid related thing I've been watching for years, and Big N failed to change that today.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Well this looks like a pretty big slap in the face for every Metroid fan. People wanted a true successor to the Prime series for more then a decade now but it seems Nintendo just doesn't known what to do with the Metroid IP.

I wonder if this isn't Nintendo just doing a token little thing to say ''Here's your Metroid, shut up'' to the people wanting a new Metroid. This makes me think we won't be seeing a new Metroid anytime soon because if I'm looking at this game it seems Nintendo just doesn't want to.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Hades said:
Well this looks like a pretty big slap in the face for every Metroid fan. People wanted a true successor to the Prime series for more then a decade now but it seems Nintendo just doesn't known what to do with the Metroid IP.

I wonder if this isn't Nintendo just doing a token little thing to say ''Here's your Metroid, shut up'' to the people wanting a new Metroid. This makes me think we won't be seeing a new Metroid anytime soon because if I'm looking at this game it seems Nintendo just doesn't want to.
Hard to say, they could have one in the works, but nothing to show yet. Who knows. I'm a big fan if my username and avatar are any indication and yet I'm not miffed about this game. It looks like it could be fun, not my sort of game, but fun none the less.

Besides, we're finally getting a Star Fox game, and they have had to wait even longer for one that was not a re-release of SF64.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I can't recall exactly where, but I remember hearing that Nintendo had two Metroid games in the works, a main game and a spin-off, and that the spin-off would come first. As for Federation Force itself, I'm going to look at it more optimistically. Since this game is focusing on the Galactic Federation, this could be a chance to get some world building outside of Samus and what she does. What does the GF do besides fighting Space Pirates? What is civilization like in the Metroid universe? This could be a great opportunity to expand the lore of Metroid in ways that could impact future games starring Samus.

gizmo2300

Jul 10, 2009
An opportunity for world building, that is, if the game actually HAS a campaign. I could see it being more of a Monster Hunter type of game given the footage we've seen. Also yes, Other M totally counts, you may not like it (I haven't played it) but that doesn't mean it doesn't count. More importantly, that doesn't mean it doesn't count in the eyes of Nintendo. If this title does badly, Nintendo may take it as a sign that interest in the Metroid IP has waned significantly and that could get a potential main entry cancelled or the series laid completely on ice altogether.

Also, remember when 6 years wasn't a long wait for a sequel? Assassins Creed has really mucked that up hasn't it.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
The article talks about a new Metroid game but it had a random video of bionicle characters in early Nintendo 64 game graphics just shooting stuff and playing basket ball.... that seems like a weird video to link.

Call me when we get an actual trailer for metro...... WHAT?!

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Metroid Pinball wasn't a travesty because it was only a short time after a big Metroid game was released.....releasing this game alone after the previous entry in the Metroid series is nothing more than awful awful marketing.