Gamer Sends 2,240 Bottle Caps to Bethesda to Pre-Order Fallout 4

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Gamer Sends 2,240 Bottle Caps to Bethesda to Pre-Order Fallout 4

Imgur user GatorMacheteJr sent Bethesda 11.5 pounds of bottle caps to pre-order Fallout 4.

One of the trademarks of the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141190-Kitty-Cosplay-Creates-Fuzziest-Fallout-Hero-Ever>Fallout universe is the use of bottle caps as money. It's also one of those things that doesn't much sense you actually think about it but hey, who are we to argue with the post-apocalypse? Silly as the idea of bottle caps for currency is however, there are some in the real world possessing the guts to actually give it a try.

<a href=http://imgur.com/gallery/tYZPO>Imgur user GatorMacheteJr, for instance, recently decided to test Bethesda's sense of humor by attempting to pre-order Fallout 4 with bottle caps. "I only saw prices listed in pre-war dollars," he said, in a letter written to the publisher. "I wasn't exactly sure what the exchange-rate is these days, so I went ahead sent everything I've been able to save since I played Fallout 3 for the first time." According to Gator, that amounts to a whopping 2,240 caps collected over the course of 7.5 years of "hoarding." The caps, in total weigh 11.2 pounds, all of which he's shipped to Bethesda's Maryland office.

The big question, of course, is how <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/bethesda%20softworks?os=bethesda+softworks>Bethesda will respond. On his Imgur page, Gator fully admits that he hopes enough people will learn about his pre-order effort to make the company's "too nervous" to turn him down. That being the case, we'd honestly be surprised if the publisher gave into his scheme. His moxie may be impressive, but rewarding him for this could open the floodgates for other gamers to try similar shenanigans in the future.

Fallout 4 itself is slated to release later this year on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e3-2015/14076-Fallout-4-First-Details>on November 10th and will cost $59.99 in pre-war cash.
[gallery=4307]
Source: <a href=http://imgur.com/gallery/tYZPO>Imgur

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Most enterprising and amusing. I say give the man his game, since he was the first to think of it.

EDIT: A nice comment on the Imgur page:

In an old abandoned office building in Fallout 4, there is now a dusty box containing 2240 caps.
That sounds like a good Easter egg to me.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I don't think they should. It'd be funny, but there'd be a huge bandwagon effect I imagine which would make it get old real fast.

And the "make them too nervous" tactic is too heavy-handed and manipulative for me to want this guy to get his pre-order for nothing.

I know "poor multi-million game developer" and all, but he actually expects an outcome from this, so it's hard for me to laugh with him.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
You might want to check this sentence again
It's also one of those things that doesn't make much sense when you actually think about it
OT: This is the same company that wanted its fans to name their children Dovahkiin for infinite TESO games, I won't put it past them if they reward this guy with a copy.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Tbh the whole "hope enough people pay enough attention to my antics so Beth feel they have no choice but to act as per my demands" kinda ruins it.

This would have been a cute joke, and something to even make an easter egg of in the actual fallout game..Then you get to that part and joke becomes less cute when dude is there waiting expectantly for his "payment".

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
I would say they would have obviously given him a free game, possibly with a free DLC pass to boot if not for the "making them too nervous to refuse" comment. Without that it would have been a golden egg of free advertising in the gaming and social media. With that, it is suddenly extortion where the guy targets their reputation and holds it at ransom during the high-point of the Fallout 4 hype wave.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I don't think they should give him the game as it would set a, probably very annoying, precedent. What they should do is hook him up with a ride through Swag City.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Yep, it is funny.
Bethesda should send him a semi-destroyed dvd-box with scratched disc with F4 logo on it. What? You think that in 2240 the disk will be as good as it is on the release date?

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
GabeZhul said:
I would say they would have obviously given him a free game, possibly with a free DLC pass to boot if not for the "making them too nervous to refuse" comment.
I was of the same thought. Figured if it wasn't for that comment, they'd give it simply because it might have increased coverage for anything to do with Fallout(not that that's a hard thing to accomplish). Instead, this guy seems like a huge dick and Bethesda gets a bit more free advertisement for Fallout 4.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
No doubt they will give him something cool.
Marketing 101: spend a few nanocents from the six+ figure marketing budget to milk funny fan ideas to the bone!

A game costs them next to nothing, and the impact of free press is worth that of at least one, probably several expensive ads.

Floodgates, pffff! Not been in the press for long, have you?

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Frankster said:
Tbh the whole "hope enough people pay enough attention to my antics so Beth feel they have no choice but to act as per my demands" kinda ruins it.
Yeah, I thought this was a cute idea and was fully prepared to get on board the 'they should give him a copy' wagon until I read that bit.

Comes across a bit...well...manipulative.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Major_Tom said:
I hope he won't try to send 2000 military grade 5.45 rounds to 4A Games.
Maybe his next step is to send a couple of small nuclear warheads to Bethesda. That would certainly get him way more attention.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Frankster said:

This would have been a cute joke, and something to even make an easter egg of in the actual fallout game..Then you get to that part and joke becomes less cute when dude is there waiting expectantly for his "payment".
It gets a bit dodgy too when you re-read his letter afterwards, the whole letter basically boils down to "Hey I'm a fan, look at all this time and energy I wasted collecting all these bottle caps, give me the game kthxbye" which comes down as a slight bit douchey.

Still, kudos for the creative idea.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
This idea started off fun and creative until..

Gator fully admits that he hopes enough people will learn about his pre-order effort to make the company's "too nervous" to turn him down.
I hope the guy gets nothing. He probably will though.