Horizon Zero Dawn - Intelligent Design

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Horizon Zero Dawn - Intelligent Design

Horizon Zero Dawn is Guerrilla Games? first new IP in over a decade, and the E3 2015 presentation suggested that it was definitely worth the wait.

Read Full Article

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Three things I wish for this game, right off the bat:

1) Let that battle not be a one-off, but a possibly reoccurring hunt.
2) Don't make the protagonist have that much internal monologue during the actual game.
3) Most importantly, *don't be exclusive* *don't be exclusive* *don't be exclusive*

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I absolutely love the concept, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
On the one hand, this all looks pretty cool.

On the other, this doesn't make a lick of sense when you think about it for more than 2 seconds. How come mankind is reduced to wearing bearskins and living in tribes when highly advanced technology is literally just walking around? From the gameplay trailer it's clear they can take them down easily enough. Have humans become too stupid to properly utilize all this tech, or is it a question of respect/reverence toward these robo-saurians that withholds them from it?

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
The visuals are stunning- the action itself kinda reminded me of Lost Planet, but smoother.

I haven't been following E3 at all, but will we be able to create our own characters via some sort of character generator, or do we have to play as that one?

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Best new IP on E3. Really excited about this one.
Finally free of having to mix Halo, CoD and Space Nazis and this what they come up with? GREAT!

freaper said:
3) Most importantly, *don't be exclusive* *don't be exclusive* *don't be exclusive*
Guerilla Games is a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment.
In short: It will be exclusive to the PS4.

Devin Barker said:
Im all for suspension of disbelief and what not... but this is just stupid...
And that?s why it will be glorious!

Casual Shinji said:
On the other, this doesn't make a lick of sense when you think about it for more than 2 seconds. How come mankind is reduced to wearing bearskins and living in tribes when highly advanced technology is literally just walking around? From the gameplay trailer it's clear they can take them down easily enough. Have humans become too stupid to properly utilize all this tech, or is it a question of respect/reverence toward these robo-saurians that withholds them from it?
No one cares. Just enjoy the show for once.

the December King said:
I haven't been following E3 at all, but will we be able to create our own characters via some sort of character generator, or do we have to play as that one?
You have to play that one.

Mike000

Nov 22, 2007
1) They've said it's open world, so there should be more fights with those guys, probably.

3) It's a Sony-owned studio, so, yeah, it's gonna be exclusive.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ishigami said:
Casual Shinji said:
If it goes for the silly, or if it's a cartoony universe, sure. But this game seems to be aiming for a grounded setting with a serious tone, one it expects me to buy into, and in that respect it doesn't appear to have much internal logic. Maybe as more details about the lore are revealed it'll come together, but as it stands it's pretty stupid.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This does look fascinating. The style looks similar to a free roaming Enslaved: Odyssee to the west. The red-headed protagonist helps.
Robot...evolution? Skynet planet petri-dish?

I dunno, we'll cross that ole bridge when we get to it. Just let me hunt giant robot dinosaurs please.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
I really hope it's open world.

That said it looks too easy and unrealistic. Games that go for the emotional realism this one seems to be, cannot have people getting tail whacked by 10 tons of metal t-rex or hit with multiple grenades and just walk it off.

Most games usually have a reason you can take inhuman punishment; a special suit or your the chosen one. As far as I can see, the main character is a women in animal skins.

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
my only thing i want from this game is to have a logical reason as to why they made robot giraffes and T-rex, if they could answer that without going "What has science done!" that would be great

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Ishigami said:
the December King said:
Oh well, that's a shame- but at least it will make others happy!

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Ishigami said:
Best new IP on E3. Really excited about this one.
Finally free of having to mix Halo, CoD and Space Nazis and this what they come up with? GREAT!

freaper said:
Guerilla Games is a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment.
In short: It will be exclusive to the PS4.

Devin Barker said:
Im all for suspension of disbelief and what not... but this is just stupid...
And that?s why it will be glorious!

Casual Shinji said:

the December King said:
More power to you if you enjoy it... I will be passing

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
Casual Shinji said:
If it goes for the silly, or if it's a cartoony universe, sure. But this game seems to be aiming for a grounded setting with a serious tone, one it expects me to buy into, and in that respect it doesn't appear to have much internal logic. Maybe as more details about the lore are revealed it'll come together, but as it stands it's pretty stupid.
I imagine it's a similar situation to a jungle tribe seeing a drone, maybe we have forgotten the knowledge, and now these robots are no more different to us than a deer.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
DayDark said:
Casual Shinji said:
I imagine it's a similar situation to a jungle tribe seeing a drone, maybe we have forgotten the knowledge, and now these robots are no more different to us than a deer.
Yeah, but you do see her using mechanical parts that fell off as one-shot cannons, and that bow looks pretty advanced as well. And they've obviously been hunting these things for quite some time. Also, her banter reveals someone with a modern and inquisitive personality.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
DayDark said:
Casual Shinji said:
Yeah, but you do see her using mechanical parts that fell off as one-shot cannons, and that bow looks pretty advanced as well. And they've obviously been hunting these things for quite some time. Also, her banter reveals someone with a modern and inquisitive personality.
It sounds silly if they just handwave it and provide no explanation, but I doubt they will just leave it at that. I can think of multiple ways to justify it off the top of my head.

For example: the one-shot cannons can easily be explained away as simple to use but hard to understand, you don't need to know the chemical reactions and mechanical know-how to make a gun in order to pull a trigger, a lot of less industrialized countries run up against this problem, despite having the first world nations installing generators and solar panels to help them out, they don't have the tools or knowledge to build them themselves or even machine replacement parts for maintenance and repairs, if the industrialized countries stopped sending them resources, most of that technology would fall into disrepair and be abandoned. Really advanced tech requires a lot of effort and resources to maintain and repair, even if you have the knowledge, it is useless without the massive machines and factories required to reproduce it.

The biology of the robo-dinos themselves could also be a hindrance, if they have some kind of self-sabotage or destruct mechanism, it would be kind of hard to gain any useful tech from them if all your left with after destroying them is a husk where all the vital components have been destroyed.

The tribal mechanic can also be easily justified by a forced nomadic nature, if the survivors have to remain mobile to avoid either hostile robots or other bands of human raiders, then settling down and actually developing anything resembling advanced technology would be impossible, you can't machine any sort of complex parts if you have to move your entire settlement every month or so.

It's a silly premise by itself, but it's not really that hard to justify it in at least a plausible enough fashion to build a serious game around.