Streamer Breaks Record for Largest Minecraft Pixel Art

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Streamer Breaks Record for Largest Minecraft Pixel Art

Twitch streamer Thorlar has just completed the biggest pixel art image ever made in Minecraft... and he did it for a good cause.

Thorlar [http://www.twitch.tv/thorlar] is a twitch streamer who has spent 23 weeks creating the massive image of Kerrigan, Deathwing, and Diablo on Minecraft, which weighs in at a whopping 1,128,960 blocks.

"I just kept building big pixel arts and found myself noticing that my viewers said they never saw anything so big. So I decided to try and go way over the top after researching: 1,128,960 blocks," Thorlar told me in a Twitter discussion today. "Didn't really expect it to go viral... just did it for fun and because I like a challenge really. And whilst building it, collecting money for charity just because I think it's worth it."

Thorlar selected Make-A-Wish foundation as his primary focus, and recently partnered with their Irish branch [http://makeawish.ie/give-support/fundraising-ideas/fundraising-through-twitch/]. "We are delighted to be involved with a truly unique and innovative fundraising idea, brought to us through Twitch partner, Thorlar," the page reads. "Thorlar will be live streaming each day, doing what he enjoys most, playing computer games."

"The ad revenue generated by each viewer of this live stream will be donated to Make-A-Wish Ireland. So the fundraising mechanism is simple - as the visitors to the website increase, so does the money to Make-A-Wish!"

"It felt right to try and make the world a little bit brighter and happier, while having fun doing so" Thorlar said of the project.

The day the record was set, Thorlar says that he raised $1337. He also said that over the course of the project, the most money was raised through Humble-Bundle, which had raised just over $2,000. This is part of an 11 year long challenge of daily streams, from which Thorlar hopes to raise $100,000.

For this image, Thorlar free-formed the build. "While it may seem extreme at first, one can consider this: Most people would agree by simply knowing the MC palette and the colors of an image that you can easily make an 8-bit Mario pixel art. The only difference between that and my build is size and some more complexity. Learn the palette and patterns for shading and well... Suddenly you can build whatever you want."

For more from Thorlar, you can check out the gallery below.

[gallery=4330]

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
SHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! O.O

That's some good art! I imagine it's pretty therapeutic to complete something like that, a little bit at a time, like a jigsaw puzzle or an enormous paint-by-numbers kit.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
freaper said:
It almost looks simple, but then he zooms in...
It's heavily reminiscent of the DOS or early Windows game artwork. There were only sixteen or thirty-two colors to work with, so they had to do some highly creative stuff to make decent looking pieces. Turning art into pixel art with a limited palette is very much an art in it's own right.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Well I built a square wooden house, let's see if he can beat that!

But seriously, this is freaking amazing and cool.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Amazing dedication!

Why does his twitch stream constantly make irritating noises?

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
Weaver said:
Amazing dedication!

Why does his twitch stream constantly make irritating noises?
Lol, those aren't irritating noises. That's a very famous musician called Smooth McGroove, who makes acapella covers for famous video game tunes. I guess it sounds weird because it's at such a low volume.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
That Gosick! one is pretty damn nice. They're all impressive but seeing a slightly more obscure, actually good anime show up there was not something I expected.

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
Is that Starcraft/Diablo one too, or just a normal image? The Gosick and Duke Nukem images are especially impressive will the fully done backgrounds. Well done!

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Call me a skeptic, but I don't think its legitimately made by hand. I think he coded a pixel 2 Minecraft converter. That would be way much easier and still impossible to prove it was not made by hand.

Consider what it would mean if this was really made by hand:

1,128,960 blocks divided by
6 months
30 days
8 hours
60 minutes
= 13.07 blocks per minute.

While placing 13 blocks per minute is certainly doable. Consider that this only works out if he has been working at it every day, 8 hours straight, like a full-time job, through all weekends.
13 blocks per minute would also mean placing one block roughly every 5 seconds throughout this time. Easy. But considering that you have to somehow look up the required block, somehow select it in creative mode, get your bearings every once in a while... I don't see how this is possible without putting it more time, like working 10+ hours at it every day.

So either, this guy is a seriously incredible and disturbing Minecraft freak without a job or life, or it's not made by hand.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
Call me a skeptic, but I don't think its legitimately made by hand. I think he coded a pixel 2 Minecraft converter. That would be way much easier and still impossible to prove it was not made by hand.

Consider what it would mean if this was really made by hand:

1,128,960 blocks divided by
6 months
30 days
8 hours
60 minutes
= 13.07 blocks per minute.

While placing 13 blocks per minute is certainly doable. Consider that this only works out if he has been working at it every day, 8 hours straight, like a full-time job, through all weekends.
13 blocks per minute would also mean placing one block roughly every 5 seconds throughout this time. Easy. But considering that you have to somehow look up the required block, somehow select it in creative mode, get your bearings every once in a while... I don't see how this is possible without putting it more time, like working 10+ hours at it every day.

So either, this guy is a seriously incredible and disturbing Minecraft freak without a job or life, or it's not made by hand.
Can think what you like, doesn't much matter when he apparently streamed most if not all of the process while he was working on it.