8 Great Games that had Terrible Box Art

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Great Games that had Terrible Box Art

You can't judge a book by its cover, and it's a good thing that we don't judge these eight great games by their terrible box art.

Read Full Article

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Mega-Man's first NES cover is definitely on my hitlist of worst commercial art pieces ever. I don't understand how anyone got paid for that eyesore. Having owned the game myself when it was released, I'm glad that the game had nothing to do with the cover. If it had been at all as poorly done as that cover, there never would have been any further series releases... Lesson in the whole "never judge a book by its cover" or in this case a video game by its boxart.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
008Zulu said:
I too really liked the game; "10 out of 10".
I like it even more in Canada, where the multilingual box art exists with English, Spanish and French. It's a clusterfuck.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Mega Man's cover is almost forgivable as being an extremely liberal interpretation of the source material by someone that had only ever heard a general description of the game.

What is not forgivable is that the being depicted on that cover is so poorly designed as to call into question if the artist had only ever heard of a human being by general description. Sure is has 2 legs and 2 arms and a head, but the way they are put together is more bizarre than the rest of the cover.

Its a constipated hunchback with no neck, foreskin for arms, one good leg, and one that might be on backwards. Both seemingly sprouting directly from his codpiece. And its holding a gun in sunny Miami in the year 199X, whats not to love?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
How did I have Okami all this time and not notice this?? Oh the shames! I am but a fool. A but-fool, if you must.

Captcha: Know your rights. Erm...captcha, is there something you should tell me?

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
No mention of Phalanx? Great game - legendarily baffling,awful cover art:

(Thanks, Wikipedia)

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Mortuorum said:

(Thanks, Wikipedia)
You don't remember the banjo-playing rhythm section in Phalanx? You had to unlock the overalls outfit first. Trust me.[footnote]Seriously, don't trust me.[/footnote]

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
I still can't believe Street Fighter X Tekken used the atrocious NES cover art for their rendition of Megaman.
Neither can I, but I imagine I mean that a different way than you.

As for Batman Arkham City's GOTY art, its worst crime[footnote]In the same way that a shoplifting flower-stomping kitten-kicker's worst crime is, obviously, kicking kittens.[/footnote] is it look like "10 Out Of 10" is the name of the game.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I'm a bit surprised that

Didn't make it onto the list. Though, to be fair, some might say that there are worse out there.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Mortuorum said:

(Thanks, Wikipedia)
I'd like to mention that it's a space shooter (for those who never heard of this game); but the cover art makes it too obvious.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I love Amnesia, but that cover art is something I'm glad I never saw before I played the game. This [http://www.amnesiagame.com/images/splash_main.jpg] was fine. And that artist went only a third of the way when it comes to the Grunt's 'splodey face [http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2010/09/amnesia-the-dark-descent-review/amnesia-dd-3.jpg] At least the brute was done okay.

And that Batman one looks like a magazine cover. Not a game's box.

Now tell me: Is this bad?

I'd say it's bad for the store shelf, but great for home.

This [http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2010/09/amnesia-the-dark-descent-review/amnesia-dd-3.jpg] is good except for the tacky sex appeal. This [http://gamingsince198x.fr/wp-content/uploads/daggerfall-box.jpg] one is good too, minus the quote and cheesy tagline. But to be fair, Beth was just starting out.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Mortuorum said:
No mention of Phalanx? Great game - legendarily baffling,awful cover art
(Thanks, Wikipedia)
I feel like they got the people who did the advertisements for

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
How did I have Okami all this time and not notice this?? Oh the shames! I am but a fool. A but-fool, if you must.

Captcha: Know your rights. Erm...captcha, is there something you should tell me?
i still cannot see IGN's logo :(