Terraria's 1.3 Patch is Now Live!

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Terraria's 1.3 Patch is Now Live!

Among many new items and fixes, Terraria's 1.3 patch streamlines multiplayer - no more port forwarding and IP sharing!

The day is finally here! That massive 1.3 patch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140939-Terraria-v1-3-Launches-June-30] we talked about for the PC version of Terraria has finally gone live - absolutely free of charge of course. Among many new items, features, and bug fixes, 1.3 completely streamlines the entire multiplayer process. It's now as simple as right clicking on a friend in Steam and choosing "join game" - gone are the days of port forwarding and IP sharing.

Dedicated server hosters will still need to download the dedicated server software [http://terraria.org/server/terraria-server-1302.zip] of course, but joining them is a much simpler affair.

Additionally, if for some reason you've yet to pick up the game, there's a special 1.3 patch launch week discount right now, knocking 25% off the price [http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600].

To see all the stuff that has been added, be sure to check out the official changelog [http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-changelog.20617/]. Though, keep in mind that "Terraria is a game about exploring", and Re-logic says it has hidden quite a few surprises in there.

For now, the patch has only been officially announced for the PC version of the game - it's unclear when (or if) it will make its way to Terraria's various console and handheld versions.

To download the patch, simply boot up Steam and it should automatically start. Enjoy!

Source: Re-Logic [https://terraria.org/news/it-has-begun-terraria-1-3-launches-today]

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Sweet merciful Buddhachrist! Thanks for the reminder! Time to roll up a new character and get started...

Question. Did Terraria always have achievements?

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
NeutralDrow said:
Nope, that was one of the new additions to the patch. I like it, it's a good indicator for how far you've gotten into seeing all of the content Terraria has to offer.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to stock up on non-perishable food and water before I bunker up my room, 'cause I'm going to be playing this shit for a long, loooooooong time.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
T-Shirt Turtle said:
NeutralDrow said:
Nope, that was one of the new additions to the patch. I like it, it's a good indicator for how far you've gotten into seeing all of the content Terraria has to offer.
Speaking of good indicators of how far you've gotten into something, looks like blocks now have visual indicators of how much damage they've taken.

Really small thing to get excited about, but it's gonna make planning things much easier. I wonder what those mentions of "marble" and "granite" in the world creation meant, though...am I gonna get new building materials? I didn't think they could get better when I learned I could build houses and furniture out of cactus and congealed honey.

EDIT:
The Guide can defend himself now!

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
...and the gift that keeps on giving, keeps on giving.

Terraria is like what Minecraft could have been had Mojang actually given a damn about updating the game ever.
Gameplay? What on earth is that?

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
Achievements in Terraria? Guide can defend himself? What the hell is going on here.....that must be what my girl was squeeing about ( the achievement part). Welp, time to download zee patch...and glad to hear multiplayer is streamlined, that'll make things easier for us.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
now if only starbound would come out officially... i bought it early access, but i didn't realize how early that access really was.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Dear gods....I'm only two hours in (taking some time, since my friend and I started an Expert world) but I'm already floored by the new additions. Even the minute touches are phenomenal, like the water dripping from the ceilings near bodies of water. And of course, the wealth of new sound effects, the new biomes, critters, and NPCs, the new backgrounds, the new weapons, etc, etc. I especially like the new Wormhole potion. Makes exploring with a friend dramatically easier.

I've been asked why I believe Re-Logic is one of the best indie-devs out there. The only answer I ever need to give is, "Look at what the game launched with, and look at what it has now. And bare in mind, those updates were free."

Now if you'll excuse me, it's back to attempting, yet again, to traverse my world's Corruption without dying - all the while hoping I can get my hands on the PDA...

NeutralDrow said:
It did not. They're a part of the Steamworks integration they've implemented, the same system that allowed them to streamline the multiplayer as well.

I wonder what those mentions of "marble" and "granite" in the world creation meant, though...am I gonna get new building materials? I didn't think they could get better when I learned I could build houses and furniture out of cactus and congealed honey.
I can confirm that granite is not only a new kind of block and wall tile, but is also a furniture set and a new biome - complete with granite-themed creatures.

Haven't come across marble yet, but I have found a new NPC in the Underground named Boney Mays. He's like an eccentric version of the Traveling Merchant.

Not only that, but he (and the other NPCs) can use furniture and converse with each other. I've even seen my Merchant and Demolitionist playing rock, paper, scissors.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Damn expert mode. This shit is freaking awesome. I love it. Played like 8 hours yesterday and just got back from college and now going back to play again.
Eater is as easy as always with the Vilethorn.
But the Eye man. That freaking Eye is insane. And I was stupid enough to sell the awesome musket I got from Shadow Orbs. Killing the eye with the Vilthorn was damn hard. It just won't stop. Always moving around.

Also did Red change the RNG a bit or was my session blessed by the RNG Goddess? I got a cloud in a bottle right at the entrance of the cave close to the middle. Hermes boots like 1 drop below. There was a Pyramid with the sandstorm in a bottle close. First fishing and I fish the pickax, next fishing a golden crate with the turtle mount. Few fishing later and I get the saw fish.
Before the second night I had enough emeralds for a Emerald hook and enough platinum for a whole platinum armor set. I hope the blessing lasts a bit longer and I find water walking boots to combine them with the lava ring so that I can get Lava walkers.
Vigormortis said:
I can confirm that granite is not only a new kind of block and wall tile, but is also a furniture set and a new biome - complete with granite-themed creatures.

Haven't come across marble yet, but I have found a new NPC in the Underground named Boney Mays. He's like an eccentric version of the Traveling Merchant.
Marble seems to be inspired by the Greek mythology. There are mobs like Medusa which will turn your into stone and kill you rather fast. Well, at least that was my case since she turned me to stone like on a ledge and pushed me down so the fall killed me. Then there are Javelin throwers who seem to be skeleton of former Spartan warriors.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Heh, I didn't even know about this patch, I do sure picked a good time to get back into Terraria.

Question though; do you need to re-generate your world to take advantage of all the new biome stuff? I assume you do.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
martyrdrebel27 said:
now if only starbound would come out officially... i bought it early access, but i didn't realize how early that access really was.
To be fair, it IS a pretty big game, and it's completely playable as-is. That said though, I can't wait for it to be "done" as well. It's everything I love about Terraria only with an awesome sorta Sci-Fi/Fantasy setting that is right up my alley. I played the hell out of it when it first came out, but now I just wanna wait for the game to be finished before jumping back in.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Started up a new world with a bunch of my friends. Just non-stop fun. Everyone is pairing off looking for loot, and because of expert mode, the killfeed is constantly running.

I'm enjoying carving our disjointed mineshafts into a screaming mad minecart ride direct to hell. No more hellevators, we travel in style.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
To be fair, it IS a pretty big game, and it's completely playable as-is. That said though, I can't wait for it to be "done" as well. It's everything I love about Terraria only with an awesome sorta Sci-Fi/Fantasy setting that is right up my alley. I played the hell out of it when it first came out, but now I just wanna wait for the game to be finished before jumping back in.
i'm in the same boat, played the hell out of it on launch, a few updates wiped my progress, i started again gladly each time, but now i'm just wanting to wait til full launch before jumping back in. last i played though, they promised the updates would stop resetting progress.

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
Vigormortis said:
Not only that, but he (and the other NPCs) can use furniture and converse with each other. I've even seen my Merchant and Demolitionist playing rock, paper, scissors.
They can converse with each other AND use furniture? That is awesome. Now I wonder if the arms dealer will be even more aggressive in pursuing the lady npc's....I need to get home so I can start playing this. Or rather restart another world and play again.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
The Lunar invasion is awesome, gotta hunt them down later when I got some time. I wonder what can you craft from the materials.

Edit: The Moon Lord, wtf is up with that guy, Jesus, gotta gear up with the new stuff it seems.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Haven't gotten very far, yet (goddamn antlions), but I could swear that Terraria has been picking up some pointers from Starbound when it comes to new area design. And they're the right pointers (new area design and materials, without saying that every single shade and consistency of dirt is a different block type).

Question, though: what is Expert difficulty? Does that just start a world in Hardmode? Should I be creating one and using a more established character to build, or is it safe for new characters? And is there a limit on the amount of creatable worlds? I seem to remember it was ten before, but I could be wrong (and I'm on my last world if I'm right).

And what's that option to "save to cloud?" Does that mean you can make a multiplayer world without someone needing the server running constantly?

Vigormortis said:
Oh, man...now I'm really going to have to up my house designs. Haven't gotten far yet (ran into huge trouble crossing a desert with just the starting equipment), but I noticed the Guide and Merchant occasionally talking about stuff. I'm usually perfectly fine with elaborate designs that need high jumping/grappling to get around, but if the NPCs themselves can finally take advantage of the layouts?

Not only am I going to have to keep in mind for my newest world that every level should be easily accessible via ramps, maybe with a few non-house, non-storage rooms thrown in, but I might have to retrofit some of my established worlds to be handicap-accessible, as it were...

EDIT: Wait a second, I wonder if I should check up on the Mechanic and the Goblin Engineer. I always put them in adjoining rooms.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
NeutralDrow said:
Haven't gotten very far, yet (goddamn antlions), but I could swear that Terraria has been picking up some pointers from Starbound when it comes to new area design. And they're the right pointers (new area design and materials, without saying that every single shade and consistency of dirt is a different block type).

Question, though: what is Expert difficulty? Does that just start a world in Hardmode? Should I be creating one and using a more established character to build, or is it safe for new characters? And is there a limit on the amount of creatable worlds? I seem to remember it was ten before, but I could be wrong (and I'm on my last world if I'm right).

And what's that option to "save to cloud?" Does that mean you can make a multiplayer world without someone needing the server running constantly?
Ok here is what I know so far, Expert difficulty apparently has better enemy Ai, for instance the eye keeps dashing and apparently better loot but I don't know about that. Also save to cloud means to save the character or world over the internet so that you can access them from other computers and to prevent them from getting corrupted