Splatoon is Getting a New Ranked Mode Tomorrow

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Splatoon is Getting a New Ranked Mode Tomorrow

In "Tower Control", both teams will fight for control of a central tower which they have to "ride" into their opponent's goal.

So Splatoon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/splatoon] has proven itself to be an amazing little game, despite being an online shooter and a new IP - two things that Nintendo usually doesn't do. The most fun you can have is easily in the game's ranked mode, but the default "Splat Zones" mode, that is, fighting for control of a specific area of the map, are starting to get a bit old.

Thankfully, Nintendo is adding a new kind of ranked battle into the rotation tomorrow - "Tower Control". In Tower Control, a tower will spawn in the center of the map, which both teams rush to control. If only members of your team are standing on the tower, it'll start to move towards your opponent's goal. If you make it all the way to the goal, you'll win with a knockout victory, but if neither team has reached the goal by the end of the time limit, then whoever is closest wins.

It's a crazy kind of tug-of-war mode that, unlike Splat Zones and of course the unranked Turf War mode, seems to focus more on killing your opponents rather than painting the terrain.

If you've been keeping an eye on Splatoon news, you'd know that Tower Control was one of the new game modes revealed in the massive datamine of the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141295-Splatoon-Datamine-Reveals-Future-Content] last month, alongside the "Rainmaker" mode.

Tower Control goes live tomorrow, on 7/1 at 7 PM PT.

Source: Splatoonus Blog [http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/122853178249/tomorrow-on-7-1-at-7-pm-pt-a-new-ranked-battle]

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I have a feeling weapons with high range will be the top choice for a mode like this. Rollers will probably not be favored well aside from the Dynamo Roller with its insane ink flinging distance.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Just in time for the first North American/European Splatfest. They've also been rolling out new maps and weapons at a frequent rate so people can try different strategies and techniques. Like the Carbon Roller that just came out which doesn't have the insta-kill squish like the other rollers, but does have a quick flick attack that caused heavy damage at the right range. And of course there's still more to come.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
This seems interesting.
Got to give it a shot tomorrow or the day after, being the noob on the team since everyone else has already played the crap out of it at that time xD

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
I hope we get another map before the Splat Fest, the new vertical map seems crazy fun - just falling on top of unsuspecting victims with my rolla

Moray Towers:

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Does anyone know if this new mode has its own rank attached to it? I really hope it does so I can fight my way up more than one, and it makes for more longevity for the game itself.