Polish-Made JRPG Regalia Rakes in Kickstarter Dough

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Polish-Made JRPG Regalia Rakes in Kickstarter Dough

[kickstarter=1719693924/regalia-of-men-and-monarchs]
Polish game developer Pixelated Milk is raising funds to produce its JRPG-inspired role-playing game: Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs.

When most think of RPGs and Poland, the first thing that usually comes to mind is <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140941-CD-Projekt-RED-Pokes-Fun-at-DRM-in-The-Witcher-3>CD Projekt RED and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/10161-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Review>its Witcher games. That being the case, Poland has produced plenty of other ambitious developers, many of whom are taking strides toward making their own mark on the realm of electronic role-playing games.

Take the fine folks at Pixelated Milk. Hoping to raise funds for their RPG Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs, they launched <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1719693924/regalia-of-men-and-monarchs>a Kickstarter campaign aimed at raising $40,000. Now nearing its close, the Kickstarter has managed to push well past that, raising close to $65,000 and even earning nods from other RPG notables <a href=https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/615592250538504192>like inXile's Brian Fargo. These funds, according to the studio, will join $25,000 personally invested by the developers to get the project off the ground.

The game itself will be "a loving homage to classic JRPGs" that focuses in on a young prince who returns to his home to discover it in ruins and his family in debt. Tasked with rebuilding his family's prestige, he sets out to fix up his castle, repair the nearby town and re-establish his kingdom in the game's wider world. Doing this will involve establishing relationships with NPCs, completing text-based side quests, engaging in "light" diplomacy with six factions and, of course, a whole bunch of turn-based strategy combat. The team has also expressed its desire to avoid some of the more cliché story tropes of JRPGs while also imbuing the story and characters with a tone of humor.

All in all, if you're a fan of Japanese-styled RPGs, Regalia looks like it could be a great project to invest in. Granted, you could argue that it's already reached its goal and therefore doesn't need more money. That said, generous gamers have already helped to unlock stretch goals including a PS4 and Vita release. We're betting its developers wouldn't mind have that last extra bit of cash they need to pay for English voice acting. The PC version of the game should arrive in October 2016 with the PS4 and Vita editions releasing a bit later in "early 2017."
[gallery=4374]

Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1719693924/regalia-of-men-and-monarchs>Kickstarter

And Man

May 12, 2014
Disgaea meets Persona
Color me interested. I may have to fund this. Though I am a bit wary about the Social Links. They'll need a good writer to make them work, and even with good writing, I'm not sure how effective they'll be given the setting; in my opinion, part of what makes S.Links in Persona work is the high school setting, something which most everyone has gone (or is currently going) through, which helps make the characters more relatable. Still, the game definitely looks like something I could enjoy.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Demagogue said:
Shouldn't a JRPG be made in... you know. Japan?
Why? The Japanese have invented that particular kind of RPG, but it's pretty much it's own subgenre now. Why should only Japanese developers make these kind of games, their obviously pretty popular outside of Japan.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Demagogue said:
JRPG is a game genre, it's not to tell you where the game was made.

Dark Souls is a WRPG despite it being made in Japan.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I have a bit of a fetish for Amazons/female berserkers. So sign me up. To say nothing of them drawing inspiration from Disgaea, one of the best game series ever.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Aerosteam said:
Demagogue said:
JRPG is a game genre, it's not to tell you where the game was made.

Dark Souls is a WRPG despite it being made in Japan.
Prettymuch this.

JRPG focuses very strongly on character progression and story. They keep it similar to that of a tabletop game.

WRPG's focus very hard on cramming another genre in there. Mass Effect wouldn't be the same without the 3PS mechanics.

Burgers2013

Nov 3, 2013
I want Armstrong's cousin and that tiny dog. BACKED.

...I lose a lot of money that way.

I clocked in more hours playing Disgaea than any other game in my life. I approve of this game.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You know what? That game looked good.
There seemed to be elements of Suikoden in it as well. Specifically, the building up of your town. Though, it sounds like they intend the player to have more say in how it gets built.

On the other hand, it almost sounds too ambitious for the limited amount they are seeking. I could easily see it being a case of them having more ambition than ability (not saying they lack talent, but rather resources) to deliver on those ambitions.

Still, I hope they succeed. And I hope it's a great fun game. I may check it out.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Saltyk said:
You know what? That game looked good.
There seemed to be elements of Suikoden in it as well. Specifically, the building up of your town. Though, it sounds like they intend the player to have more say in how it gets built.

On the other hand, it almost sounds too ambitious for the limited amount they are seeking. I could easily see it being a case of them having more ambition than ability (not saying they lack talent, but rather resources) to deliver on those ambitions.

Still, I hope they succeed. And I hope it's a great fun game. I may check it out.
What will probably help them is that the cost of game development in Poland is about four times less what it is in the US. From the Kickstarter:

"Until now, Regalia had been a purely self-funded project. We got a bank loan and invested our own savings. Through those funds, a big part of the project was funded.

We are confident that combining our finances with Kickstarter would be enough to fund all the features and content we have planned. You guys also have to remember that, as sad as this sounds, the average salary in Poland is one of the lowest in the whole European Union, and is also significantly lower than the average wage in the US. Given this low cost of labour, we can do more than other Western studios while operating on a similar budget."

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Burgers2013 said:
I want Armstrong's cousin and that tiny dog. BACKED.

...I lose a lot of money that way.

I clocked in more hours playing Disgaea than any other game in my life. I approve of this game.
That's Mario and Armstrong's nephew by God as my witness! And on the topic of this game, looks damn promising, hope it succeeds.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I am so happy to see another Polish developer in the spotlight. If there's one area of the world that can challenge and force legitimate competition upon the AAA behemoths it's Eastern Europe with their lower costs of production, educated workforce and willingness to explore and embrace what would be otherwise taboo ideas/concepts.

All the more power to them, shame I don't like JRPGs too much so I won't back it but will look into it after reviews.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
:D Thank you 'pist. I missed that one! One of my favourite Genres, I love games like Disgaea and Final Fantasy Tactics, so this appeals to me massively.

I like the fact I also get to name a monster too... I can't wait to face my monster-alter-ego!

Caught it with just over a day left.