Coming Soon: Futurama Mobile Game

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Coming Soon: Futurama Mobile Game

The official Facebook page for Futurama announced that a mobile game for the beloved series is "coming soon."

The upcoming game was revealed on the official Futurama Facebook page [https://www.facebook.com/Futurama/photos/a.10150284184946620.378653.9588466619/10153335548381620/?type=1] Wednesday, with an attached image that indicates the title will be Release the Drones.

"Good news, everyone! A Futurama mobile game is on the way! Get ready for shiny robots, evil forces and new adventures" the post reads.

An attached link [http://www.playfuturama.com/] takes users to a page with naught but an image of Bender majestically pointing at who-cares-what, and the option of signing up for email updates. No developer is listed.

The Facebook image also includes the logo for San Diego Comic Con which, conveniently enough, is this week.

Other FOX franchises that have gotten the mobile game makeover include the The Simpsons: Tapped Out and Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff, both of which are free-to-play.

With a Futurama mobile game on the horizon, prepare for the "shut up and take my money" memes.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
:( I saw "Coming Soon" and saw the Futurama logo and suddenly became filled with wonder and hope.

Then I became sad when I realized it was just a mobile game. Damn it.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Wow those first 3 words raised my hopes then the last two caused it to crash back down.

Still might be cool though, depending if there are paywalls or not.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
So I'm guessing it's gonna be another of those town building sims except without any actual strategy or management involved other then constantly checking back to assign your zillion npcs a task for x hours.

I think this is why Fallout: Shelter overcame Candy Crush, it's like one of the very few mobile games where you can almost play it like a normal game, albeit a very easy one with the most basic management elements. But by mobile game standards, having those basic management stuff makes Fallout Shelter into the mobile equivalent of a paradox grand strategy game.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
My question is who is publishing it, since I'm rather uncertain who owns what rights where it pertains to Futurama at the moment, and who is developing it and what's their reputation?

journemin

Jul 10, 2015
Looks like a German company called Wooga. http://tstonews.com/futurama-mobile-game/

This isn't such a bad thing. At one point, Wooga was even more popular than EA (creator of The Simpsons: tapped out) in terms of mobile gaming. The company is responsible for Diamond Dash which is (or at least WAS) extremely popular a while back (estimated 100 million downloads as of now). The "Jelly Splash" one did very well also. The thing I'm worried about is that they themselves have said that they put stats before creativity... Meaning they're all about making rehashed versions of old games. I really don't want a futurama flappy bird or gay swipe-and-match puzzle game. I hope that Fox and the futurama team can push Wooga towards making something unique this time around. At least it's not Tinyco.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
It's like the two words "Mobile Game" can ruin anything.

You won the lottery... mobile game.

I just bought you a free... mobile game.

Congratulations sir, it's a... mobile game.

Official release date for the next Half Life... mobile game.

Jun 20, 2013
Meh, that's a let down. Mobile games are rarely worth playing these days.
Makes me want to get a hold of the old PS2 game, but then I remember how frustrating that thing was.