Witcher 3's Expansions Will be Almost The Size of Witcher 2

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Witcher 3's Expansions Will be Almost The Size of Witcher 2

The Witcher 3's Konrad Tomaszkiewicz claims its paid expansions will be almost the size of its previous title, The Witcher 2.

CD Projekt Red's sprawling open world RPG The Witcher has both paid expansions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138453-Witcher-3-Dev-Giving-Away-16-Pieces-of-Free-DLC-Post-Purchase]. At $24.99, these expansions would have to promise quite a bit of content to satisfy gamers who've been getting a steady trickle of free DLC. Thankfully, developer Konrad Tomaszkiewicz promises that the expansions will be packed so full of content, that they will be close to the size and scope of The Witcher 2 alone.

"The expansion packs will be whole new storylines with all the elements you've got in the main story (like cutscenes, new characters, new items, new Gwent cards) and many, many more. They will be quite long. The first expansion will be around 10 hours and the second expansion will be around 20 hours... and I think it's possible that they will be bigger, because it's always like this (that when we plan some time or hours, it's twice or something like this), but I'm not promising anything right now. And even now, if you sum up this 10 to 20 hours and you compare it to The Witcher 2, it's almost the size of The Witcher 2. And it will be cool, it will be new stories, it will be very emotional stories and I think that people will be happy," he told Game Reactor [http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/329274/Witcher+3+expansions+%22almost+size+of+Witcher+2%22/]

Hearts of Stone, the first expansion pack for the game, launches sometime this autumn, while the second pack, Blood and Wine will be available early 2016.

Source: Game Reactor [http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/329274/Witcher+3+expansions+%22almost+size+of+Witcher+2%22/]

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
Calling it: one of these dlc expansion will be entirely ciri based.

Atleast I hope,still havent beat the game... So much to do first...!

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Yes, thank you, stop bragging. Now where the fuck is 1.07? And where are the bloody releases notes for that matter. I don't care if the expansion is expansive as your QA has significantly dropped in quality.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Does anyone know if the Addons will be implemented into the main game's story or if they are separated from it?

If they are not accessed in the current game world I'll finally start playing the game, otherwise I wait till after both expansions have been released.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Charcharo said:
mad825 said:
Yes, thank you, stop bragging. Now where the fuck is 1.07? And where are the bloody releases notes for that matter. I don't care if the expansion is expansive as your QA has significantly dropped in quality.
So it is a small expansion then?
Damn :(
Oh hardy har har. I take issue when the patches causes more bugs they had in the first place.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Xerosch said:
Does anyone know if the Addons will be implemented into the main game's story or if they are separated from it?

If they are not accessed in the current game world I'll finally start playing the game, otherwise I wait till after both expansions have been released.
The first one will happen in the same world we have now. It will be an additional storyline in Oxenfurt, which is good i think, because that area has not gotten as much attention as it deserves i think.
The second one will be in a completely new area.
Both will happen as part of the main game though. They will not be completely seperate, but i think rather large, enourmous sidequests.
Although form my personal experience i can tell you that the Witcher 3 is a game you can easily play multiple times. I know i will most likely just start another playthrough when the dlcs have been released. I have to do another one anyway since i want to experience both the Triss and the Yennefer Romances and you can't romance both at the same time.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Amaror said:
Xerosch said:

The first one will happen in the same world we have now. It will be an additional storyline in Oxenfurt, which is good i think, because that area has not gotten as much attention as it deserves i think.
Both will happen as part of the main game though. They will not be completely seperate, but i think rather large, enourmous sidequests.
Although form my personal experience i can tell you that the Witcher 3 is a game you can easily play multiple times. I know i will most likely just start another playthrough when the dlcs have been released. I have to do another one anyway since i want to experience both the Triss and the Yennefer Romances and you can't romance both at the same time.
Hmm... now I'm even more intrigued. I guess I'll start this weekend, then. The question you answered was the only thing keeping me for it. Thanks!

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
You don't have to replay the entire game to do that.
Minimum required is the final choice.
Maximum required is from meeting Triss.
Of course you may want to replay the entire game anyway.

Technically, both expansions are side quests, not part of the main quest.

They won't be set at a particular time, because you can start all side quests when you want to.
Almost certainly they will have, at least, the same recommended level as the main quest. Maybe even higher, due to the fact most players will want to continue with an existing character and will have, at least, completed the main quest.

Do everything players always end up overpowered in a level based open world, they are a minority and can limit the inevitable impact by completing the main quest first, then doing all the side quests, this works for all open world games.
Then if you prefer more of a challenge, to getting a 100% completion award, you can start after main quest done save.

Personally, because CD Projekt Red is the developer and buying from GOG gives them all of my money, rather than a publisher taking money and franchise rights, I'm happy to pay full price for their content.
With EA, WB, Ubisoft and all other Major publishers games, I wait for the complete edition to be under £5/$10 on Steam, I'll pay double that for a DRM free GOG release.

As for the complaint about 1.07 patch not being released yet.
Seriously some people are never satisfied.
Patch 1 was released to reviewers a day or two before release.
Patch 2 was ready by release and became the Day 1 patch.
This was the best full AAA release in years on all 3 platforms.
As well as weekly free DLC, in the first month another 4 major patches have been released.
Now the next and biggest patch is coming and the games not yet 2 months old and will have had more patches than most AAA games get in a year if at all.

This games support is 1st class and shows just how crap Major Publishers games really are.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Uhuru N said:
Yes i know i CAN just have a savegame before the decision between Triss and Yenn. But why would i. The game is a lot of fun, replaying it isn't a chore so i would rather roleplay one Geralt that loves Yennefer, a more canon geralt close to the books, and one geralt that loves Triss, a more idealistic and romantic Geralt, for an entire playthrough. Additionally i know that it will most likely be possible to just play the Dlc after finishing the main quest, but i made the experience that these kind of dlc tend to be a lot better when you experience them during a playthrough, with all the context of your main journey, rather than after the game is allready finished.

Concerning the 1.07 patch i aggree and disaggree with you. I aggree that it's really silly to lash out at the developers and call them lazy. They have been releasing continues patches one after the other together with free dlc and just because one particular patch takes a month to be released people are throwing a fit. With other developers you're lucky if they release a patch months after release if they even attempt to fix the games problems instead of just abandoning it. *cough* Inquisition *cough*
On the other Hand i can understand that people are pissed. To give the context here the last few patches introduced a pretty nasty bug to the game. When it's experienced it's impossible to leave the map of the Skellige Islands without crashing the game. The Bug seems to trigger if the Pirate village Trothheim, which you find during the quest "Following the Thread" is visited, even when it's before the installation of these dlcs. I am experiencing the bug myself and cdpr seems to have quite a bit of trouble locating it. Considering that this bug pretty much breaks the game and makes it impossible to continue playing i can understand it pretty well that people are pissed.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Amaror said:
Unless one of my mate's been telling tall tales if you do it right you actually can romance them both.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Politrukk said:
Amaror said:
Unless one of my mate's been telling tall tales if you do it right you actually can romance them both.
Nope. If you try then this happens.

Yennefer and Triss invite you to a Threesome, bind you to the bed naked, make fun of your naivety and dumb you.

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
Amaror said:
...Concerning the 1.07 patch i aggree and disaggree with you. I aggree that it's really silly to lash out at the developers and call them lazy. They have been releasing continues patches one after the other together with free dlc and just because one particular patch takes a month to be released people are throwing a fit. With other developers you're lucky if they release a patch months after release if they even attempt to fix the games problems instead of just abandoning it. *cough* Inquisition *cough*
On the other Hand i can understand that people are pissed. To give the context here the last few patches introduced a pretty nasty bug to the game. When it's experienced it's impossible to leave the map of the Skellige Islands without crashing the game. The Bug seems to trigger if the Pirate village Trothheim, which you find during the quest "Following the Thread" is visited, even when it's before the installation of these dlcs. I am experiencing the bug myself and cdpr seems to have quite a bit of trouble locating it. Considering that this bug pretty much breaks the game and makes it impossible to continue playing i can understand it pretty well that people are pissed.
That's always an issue with bug fixing, the fact that they can't replicate it, means they can't fix it. That doesn't help when you get the bug but, at least they try and fix these issues instead of ignoring it like WB, etc.

Politrukk said:
Amaror said:
...Although form my personal experience i can tell you that the Witcher 3 is a game you can easily play multiple times. I know i will most likely just start another playthrough when the dlcs have been released. I have to do another one anyway since i want to experience both the Triss and the Yennefer Romances and you can't romance both at the same time.
As for romancing both Triss and Yeniffer, no you can't do that. You can have/try to have? sex with them both, but sorceresses have mind reading abilities so that's an issue, you obviously risk, romancing niether of them by doing that.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Uhuru N said:
Amaror said:
...Concerning the 1.07 patch i aggree and disaggree with you. I aggree that it's really silly to lash out at the developers and call them lazy. They have been releasing continues patches one after the other together with free dlc and just because one particular patch takes a month to be released people are throwing a fit. With other developers you're lucky if they release a patch months after release if they even attempt to fix the games problems instead of just abandoning it. *cough* Inquisition *cough*
That's always an issue with bug fixing, the fact that they can't replicate it, means they can't fix it. That doesn't help when you get the bug but, at least they try and fix these issues instead of ignoring it like WB, etc.
Witcher 3 was published by WB Games, which is probably why those A-grade bugs got through their totally weak QA department.

As a publisher, WB doesn?t fix bugs; they only find bugs. Fixing bugs is the job of the dev studio. So yea, the reason those bugs found their way into the game was because WB decided to release those updates without properly testing it, and/or released the update with those bugs there knowingly.

aquarius87

Mar 2, 2011
I remember seeing Witcher 3's stand on gamescom, 2 years ago.
In stead of throwing a handful of t-shirts into a raving crowd, they handed everybody one (even asked your size :$ )
The only things they did throw with were cards with witcher 1 and 2 serial keys.

Their choice to drop DRM because paying costumers had issues with it; free bits of dlc every week; two large dlc with lots of content and a reasonable price...

seriously, how can you not love this company?

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
Steve Waltz said:
Witcher 3 was published by WB Games, which is probably why those A-grade bugs got through their totally weak QA department.

As a publisher, WB doesn?t fix bugs; they only find bugs. Fixing bugs is the job of the dev studio. So yea, the reason those bugs found their way into the game was because WB decided to release those updates without properly testing it, and/or released the update with those bugs there knowingly.
Not to my knowledge, though it may be the case somewhere.
All digital downloads have no publisher at all, CDPR self published digitally and it was reported that Namco Bandai, not WB had the Publishing contract for discs, because no independant can get retail stores to stock discs and that basically means consoles nowadays.

Buy from GOG and CDPR get every bit of the money

Even so this isn't the usual publisher owns the rights deal, CDPR basically made a disc distribution deal with a publisher and took no money from them to make the game. PC Discs are all DRM free and you have GOG download rights if you did get PC disc.

So as far as game content and patching the game is concerned, that's got no publisher involvement at all.
Console updates do take longer due to MS and Sony screening of them though.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Can it actually BE Witcher 2? I'd prefer it if it was, so far at least. The writing's still good but it all just seems so haphazard. Witcher 2 was still semi-open world, but it was tight. Things inter-wove. At the moment it just feels like spilled peas all over the floor, and the ones that happen to touch are the main quest line.

I guess I shouldn't judge though. Haven't played it through yet. I may also be a bit salty I bought it for 90 AUD from the GoG store, regional pricing and all, and now there's a GMG sale for 38 AUD.

Also, can someone tell me why GoG has regional pricing on Witcher 3 and Steam and GmG don't?