Immortality Now? Living Forever In Self/Less And The Real World

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Immortality Now? Living Forever In Self/Less And The Real World

How close are we to immortality via transplanting our minds into fresh bodies?

Read Full Article

noobiemcfoob

Mar 18, 2013
Am I the only one supremely bothered by the "cut off a head and put it on a new body" approach? Just every angle I think about with this seems horrible.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
noobiemcfoob said:
Am I the only one supremely bothered by the "cut off a head and put it on a new body" approach? Just every angle I think about with this seems horrible.
I'm not really bothered, but i had to read thar paragraph like 3 times to see if i understood that right. I mean if it works it's a huge medical advancement. The person has a) volunteer b) is going to die soon.

See if he survives, we could learn A LOT. If he dies , we can learn A LOT. It's a win/win. Although he has to be aware, once he goes under the knife he may never make it back. Courageous doesn't even begin to explain.

That being said, regardless of the outcome i highly doubt that it will be common place. I really hope if this happens we hear about it.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I hate when people bring up average life expectancy statistics. Those statistics are not figured independent of infant mortality rates. 200 years ago, if you live to be 12, you were very likely to live to be 65, which is not substantially shorter than today's standards. The other thing is quality of life. Yeah, people are living longer but their quality of life is still typically very bad in the later years. We have people who spend 15 years in an old folks home rather than 3 or 5. If you can't live independently then you might as well start euthanizing people, or at least me when I get up there.

That said, I find the funniest part of science fiction is always the concept that you get bored a lot. That concept is pretty ridiculous because I don't ever get bored really. There is always something to do. An eternity where you didn't have to worry about aging or your body breaking down is a pretty great idea to me and probably most people.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The head transplant thing, I dont know if I trust that story.

This is Dr. Sergio Canavero and the other on the side is from Metal Gear Solid 5