Konami Removes Hideo Kojima's Name From Metal Gear Solid V Box Art

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Konami Removes Hideo Kojima's Name From Metal Gear Solid V Box Art

The words "A Hideo Kojima Game" have been deleted from Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain's final box art.

Metal Gear is Hideo Kojima's baby. There are other people involved in it, of course, and we would never suggest snubbing the hundreds of talented people that have contributed to series since its inception. That said, Kojima is still the franchise's undeniable visionary; the man who guides it from each convoluted chapter to the next. You can perhaps understand, in turn, why some have taken note of the fact that Konami has removed his name from the final box art for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

Whereas previous renditions of the game's art had "A Hideo Kojima Game" at the top of the box, gamers <a href=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1079294>at NeoGAF recently noticed that new versions of the box put out by Konami have unceremoniously removed Kojima's name. This, of course, mirrors <a href=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1013350>previous actions taken by the publisher erasing Kojima from other content on official websites and promotional materials pertaining to the famous stealth franchise.

While Konami doing this is disappointing, it's not likely that many gamers will be surprised by the publisher's actions. Konami, this year, has been at the center of a lot of gaming turmoil, much of which has centered around its treatment of Kojima and his projects. In addition <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140601-Konami-Confirms-Silents-Hills-Cancelled-Silent-Hill-Will-Continue>to cancelling Kojima's Silent Hills, the company infamously pulled his teaser game P.T. from the PlayStation Network, essentially <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140645-PlayStation-4s-With-P-T-Silent-Hills-Demos-On-eBay-For-1500>erasing it from existence. Rumors that Kojima Productions <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140187-Konami-And-Hideo-Kojima-Comment-on-Departure-Rumors>will be disbanding after The Phantom Pain's release were also <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141524-Kojima-Productions-Disbandment-Confirmed-By-Voice-Actor>recently confirmed by Akio Otsuka, Solid Snake's longtime voice actor in Japan. What we're trying to say, of course, is that things could be better between Konami and Kojima.
[gallery=4412]
Source: <a href=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1079294>NeoGAF

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
If spite had a taste, what would it be? Sour like a lemon? Spicy like a curry? I can't decide.

OT: I hope his talent finds him a more accommodating home.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Konami, with no due respect because this is despicable, fuck you. The only reason I'm buying this game is because it is the last Kojima Metal Gear. I have honestly never said this before to any publisher I respected, but I'm never buying another game from you juvenile fuckwits.
Mr. Kojima, I hope you continue to have success in your future endeavors and you've always got my support.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Barbas said:
If spite had a taste, what would it be? Sour like a lemon? Spicy like a curry? I can't decide.
Wow, spoken like something Lemongrab would have said.

I almost want to not ever play this game - but it is Kojima's life work and looks so impressive, I know I'll have to. I wonder if how well it does has any impact on Kojima, if he gets royalties from it or anything? If not, really, every Metal Gear fan should boycott this game as a big screw you to Konami and then pick it up in the bargain bin.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Dapper Changeling said:
Hey guys, something just dawned on me. What if this is all a plan from Konami to trick us into buying the game to "Support" Kojima, while lining their pockets?
No such thing as bad press and all.
I mean, I'd buy the damn thing anyways, but, yeah, the idea is there.
That would imply a level of intelligence Konami just isn't capable of.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Remember folks, buy it anyway so you can do your part in leaving Konami with a stinging reminder that they just ditched a massive potential market.

After that, do as you please.

OT: No surprise really, not after they nuked Kojima Productions and scrubbed him from thier official websites.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
2015 coins the phrase Fuck Konami.
I feel something needs to be done by the gaming community to show our support towards Kojima as we are still buying his game to enjoy his work, something petitioned or crowdfunded perhaps. My brain is not in a good state at all today, so perhaps an idea better thought up by someone else?

On the upside, if a gaming general-knowledge book blurb were to be written, they can now use the enticing question; "Do you know your konamis from your Kojimas?"

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Wow, just when you think Konami cant possibly make a bigger Dick move they pull this shit. Well at the very least i'm gonna hold off buying the game, I'd love to hear what Kojima has to say about this.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I really want MGS5, but Konami's actions really have been poor this year. If I do get it, it'll be my last game I ever buy from them. but I'll wait for reviews first.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Isn't this illegal? If someone works on a project, I thought it was legally required to have them credited somewhere.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
Gearhead mk2 said:
Isn't this illegal? If someone works on a project, I thought it was legally required to have them credited somewhere.
I'm sure his name is still in the credits, they're just taking his name off the box art out of petty spite.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Oh that's fucking it Konami. Kojima had better have been already paid for his work, because I'm getting this used and never touching any post-release paid DLC Konami may offer up for it so those wretched fucks don't get a dime out of me. I'm gonna enjoy the fuck out of Kojima's magnum opus, without paying you fucking cunts for spitting all over the only reason you worthless shits barely bobbing above water the past dozen or so years.

Ungrateful shit bags.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Is Konami a child? Or are they just the most moronic company in the world? Seriously, do you want gamers to hate you? I don't even care anything about Kojima, MG:V, or your company. But this has me shaking my head in disappointment.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
I'm buying this game. Of course I want to play it anyway, but I also want sales numbers to show Kojima that his work is loved, no matter what Konami does. I hope Kojima has immense success in his future endeavors. Also, why is MG box art so shit like all the other box art out there? The GA team shows less talent and skill than an child with PS Elements.

It was once so beautiful and unique. It was so different from everything else on the shelves that you recognized instantly.

http://metalgearmoments.com/post/79623376771/honestly-though-i-miss-shinkawas-box-art

Ah those were the days...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I'd say they don't want my money, but since they'll ditching the Console/PC market for mobile, that's pretty obvious. I'm probably still not getting the game though, part petty spite for how they're treating Kojima and part, lack of interest in this game.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
So disrespectful being that its Kojimas creation. Overall though i see Kojima releasing an amazing new game while Konami sinks into mobile gaming obscurity. Every one know Kojima made the game and taking his name off the box wont change that.

Oct 22, 2011
Dapper Changeling said:
Hey guys, something just dawned on me. What if this is all a plan from Konami to trick us into buying the game to "Support" Kojima, while lining their pockets?
No such thing as bad press and all.
I mean, I'd buy the damn thing anyways, but, yeah, the idea is there.
I think the idea is to cashcowhold onto Metal Gear franchise, with or without(in this case) Kojima, so why not begin to accustom people now, with probably the last "true" MGS?

So... How many people will just add "A Hideo Kojima game" to their boxes with a sharpie or something?