Warhammer Invades GOG With Retro Re-Releases

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Warhammer Invades GOG With Retro Re-Releases

GOG has added a trio of classic PC Warhammer titles to its catalog of retro games.

In the world of tabletop games there are few names as big and well known <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141508-Hothead-Gamer-Burns-Warhammer-Fantasy-Army-Over-New-Age-of-Sigmar-Rules>as Warhammer. Whether you're talking the Warhammer Fantasy Role-Playing game or tactical miniatures titles like Warhammer 40,000, the franchise overall has, for decades now, enthralled countless players with its gameplay and worlds. That being the case, it should serve as no surprise that folks within the game industry have, on numerous occasions, used their time and skill to transform the brand's tabletop experiences into fun video games. Now, thanks to the efforts <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/gog>of GOG, gamers can re-visit some of the earliest titles to take a swing at doing so.

According to an announcement earlier today, the site, thanks a to a new partnership with Games Workshop, has re-released three of some of the hardest to find Warhammer video games out there. Included in this trio is <a href=http://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_shadow_of_the_horned_rat>Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat, <a href=http://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_chaos_gate>Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate and <a href=http://www.gog.com/game/final_liberation_warhammer_epic_40000>Warhammer 40,000 Epic: Final Liberation. "These games have been next to impossible to find anywhere for years" says Oleg Klapovsky, GOG's VP of Business Development and Operations. "Reviving them meant that we had to dig a lot deeper, but we're excited to have acquired the rights to re-release some of the most important entries in the Warhammer legacy."

All three of the re-released retro titles are exclusive to GOG. Players interested in picking them up will be able to grab Shadow of the Horned Rat and Final Liberation for $5.99. Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate, comparatively, is being priced at $9.99. As per GOG's usual standard, all three games are DRM-free and come packaged with PDF copies of their instruction manuals as well as other goodies such as digital soundtracks.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
*squeal*

Ahum. That is quite cool, dunno about Horned rat and Final liberation but Chaos gate in particular was notoriously fickle to get working and all but impossible to run on modern systems due to some cultist laspistol sound glitch on the 1st level which crashed the game.

Kudos gog for working your magic again :)

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Weeeeheeee! Only Dark Omen's missing and it will be a whole collection of really good Warhammer games =)
(PS Rites of War doesn't count!)

Captcha: fairy godmother. Yes, it's about GoG =)

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
FUCKING RIGHT!
About time too! Chaos Gate is one of my favorite turn-based RPGs. It was X-Com before that was a thing!

Navigator, prepare for a Warp translation. We are going to GOG.

EDIT: Oh Emperor damn it! You have to download and register for GOG galaxy to actually download the game. They have it locked so normal browser downloads don't work.
Dick move GOG.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
yay been wanting to play shadow of the horned rat for a while. now i get to see if its as hard as i remeber it or i was just crap at playing it cos i was a kid.

i remeber final liberation as well though i dont think it grabbed my imagination the same way SotHR did.

never played chaos gate might have to try it out go on a real nostalgia bender

Aug 31, 2012
Awww yeah, ever since I got a new PC with 7 on it I haven't been able to get Chaos Gate to work. The full game of liberation with the FMV for Holt is also a must. Will give The horned rat a go too, it's only £3.99, might as well.

Nice...you get the soundtracks as bonus MP3s!

Silentpony said:
EDIT: Oh Emperor damn it! You have to download and register for GOG galaxy to actually download the game. They have it locked so normal browser downloads don't work.
Dick move GOG.
Works fine without it for me.

Edit: As does Chaos Gate, so far at least.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well I can officially confirm the Chaos Gate port is broken. Exact same problem that always happens with this game. You click "Being Mission" and it crashed.
Been at for over an hour, haven't been able to play a single mission.

I expected better GOG.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Silentpony said:
FUCKING RIGHT!
About time too! Chaos Gate is one of my favorite turn-based RPGs. It was X-Com before that was a thing!
HERESY! *BLAM*

X-com enemy unknown / Terror from the deep allready had been a thing for a long time before Chaos gate came along!

Thought i loved how the chaos cultists exploded into bits of slime when you killed them and how horribly inbalanced Assault squads and later Terminator squads where.

Once you went into melee with powerfists and powerswords even demons werent a problem anymore... Tactical squads? Pft... please.

Also plasma grenades where still a thing in that iteration... good ol 2nd edition equipment

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I loved Final Liberation. The Titans, my oh my the Titans. Will definitely get it. But I will wait for Dark Omen before getting Horned Rat.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
I loved Shadow of the Horned Rat back in the day. It really hasn't aged well. I never cease to be amazed just how terrible we were at making usable interfaces in the past. Although given that the Warhammer world no longer exists, it's probably worth buying just because other than finding old material second hand it's the last chance you'll ever have to actually see it.

Final Liberation is still pretty good though. It's a shame we never had more games like that with the rest of the factions added, especially since it seems as though they'd planned to add more in later. Dawn of War was great, but a proper strategic game with full scale planetary wars and titans involved would have been awesome.

Not sure why Chaos Gate is so expensive compared to the other two. It's not exactly a lot newer, and it was SSI same as Final Liberation so there shouldn't be any funny licensing issues for it.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Silentpony said:
Dick move GOG.
I think you've misread something, gog doesn't require galaxy at all for any of its games. It's a nice option for players but that is all. An option.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
RicoADF said:
Silentpony said:
Dick move GOG.
I think you've misread something, gog doesn't require galaxy at all for any of its games. It's a nice option for players but that is all. An option.
What I got was an error 404: Forbidden screen when I clicked download. Contacted their help service and was told that screen means the game needs the Galaxy client to download.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Silentpony said:
What I got was an error 404: Forbidden screen when I clicked download. Contacted their help service and was told that screen means the game needs the Galaxy client to download.
Heh I've never heard of that for any game, strange if so since they advertise gog as DRM free etc. Perhaps they were suggesting it to get around your error idk.