Warmachine Reckoning Review - A Big Advance for Smashy Steambots

Lodur

May 28, 2014
Warmachine Reckoning Review - A Big Advance for Smashy Steambots

Reckoning is the latest update for Warmachine, bringing mercenaries and pseudo-undead horrors to the battlefield.

Read Full Article

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
So... Do you think that a jaded Warhammer Fantasy git who hates Age Of Sigmar should give this a go? Because this looks quite cool to me.

I do plan to try Kings Of War rules too but I think that trying to wean myself off of anything GW related (I will miss you Horus Heresy novels...) is sensible at this point.

Realmikebob

Apr 28, 2011
vallorn said:
So... Do you think that a jaded Warhammer Fantasy git who hates Age Of Sigmar should give this a go? Because this looks quite cool to me.

I do plan to try Kings Of War rules too but I think that trying to wean myself off of anything GW related (I will miss you Horus Heresy novels...) is sensible at this point.
It's a very different game from Warhammer and there are not many similarities between the two. But if you're interested in playing a relatively well balanced, well written rule set with good company support, give it a go, find your nearest Press Ganger and ask them for a demo game.

Now the bad point. Coming from GW games, you might find the models poor. The aesthetic of the models is quite nice in my opinion, but the actual casting quality is a very mixed bag with miscasts and wrong parts in the sets quite common. But there has been a definite improvement in the three years I've played and some of the latest releases have been great, and their customer support for replacing parts is good.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Realmikebob said:
vallorn said:

It's a very different game from Warhammer and there are not many similarities between the two. But if you're interested in playing a relatively well balanced, well written rule set with good company support, give it a go, find your nearest Press Ganger and ask them for a demo game.

Now the bad point. Coming from GW games, you might find the models poor. The aesthetic of the models is quite nice in my opinion, but the actual casting quality is a very mixed bag with miscasts and wrong parts in the sets quite common. But there has been a definite improvement in the three years I've played and some of the latest releases have been great, and their customer support for replacing parts is good.
Since I used to live in the UK, GW's customer support of "If the casting is shit we'll give you a new one or your money back" was always great, especially in the early Finecast days where I went through 3 boxes of (free!) Raptors before I got one that didn't have horrible bubbling.

I think I might give it a go considering it's apparently well balanced. The balance of Fantasy is what always attracted me to it over 40k. No Fish of Fury or tactics like that made me enjoy fantasy a lot more.