Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II Available on Mac, Linux with New Features

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II Available on Mac, Linux with New Features

New release offers more graphical options and Steam Workshop support.

More than a decade following its original release, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has been released for the first time for Mac and Linux users.

Available today on Steam, the new releases are published by Aspyr and come with a variety of new features which have also been implemented in the previously available PC version. The game now includes native widescreen support for monitors at up to a 5K resolution and full controller support. Gameplay achievements and cloud saves have been added, as well.

In addition, KOTOR II now has Steam Workshop support, making it that much easier to install "The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod" [http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485537937]. Considered by many fans to be the definitive experience, the mod restores a significant quantity of content developer Obsidian cut from the game in order to meet its late 2004 release date on Xbox. While it was never particularly difficult to install before, reducing the process down to a couple of clicks is quite welcome.

On Steam through July 28, the newly updated game is on sale for $7.49, 25% off its regular price of $9.99.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/208580/]

jamail77

May 21, 2011
But no Steam Workshop support for KOTOR I. No restored Juhani lesbian romance subplot or Carth coming to the Star Forge ending or visual upgrading mods for it. Fail I say. FAIL!

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Gives me a excuse to play it again its only been 3 years sense my last play through but now i got a suped up computer to play it on for cast

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That sounds like a decent enough excuse to take a break from The Witcher 3. Not a complete break though. Just as something to play in the evening after I'm done witchering around all day long.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Funny, I had just reinstalled it. Asides from the restoration mod, had to get the resolution and minimap fixes. Would my saves be compatible with this? Or would I have to start over again? Because I just got off Telos... I might go insane if I have to go through that and Peragus again.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I got the KOTOR collection disc a couple years ago with Windows 7 support. Is it possible to get the widescreen fix to work with this version?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Well... That's me playing this again.

Wonder if Kotor 1 will get the same treatment, with Steam Workshop etc

Sep 14, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
I got the KOTOR collection disc a couple years ago with Windows 7 support. Is it possible to get the widescreen fix to work with this version?
it's been a while, but I believe using google-fu there are old forum posts and such you can find that work with any edition of kotor I and II for widescreen support, you just have to trick the settings right and put a new .ini file in the game directory (in game it'll say something different for your resolution, so don't worry about that after you start the game)

HHammond

Jun 28, 2011
So this came out of nowhere.

As pretty much the only Star Wars property I genuinely love I'm very happy about this. Now to make all my friends play it!

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
Funny, I had just reinstalled it. Asides from the restoration mod, had to get the resolution and minimap fixes. Would my saves be compatible with this? Or would I have to start over again? Because I just got off Telos... I might go insane if I have to go through that and Peragus again.
You can skip Peragus with a mod, literally called "Skip Peragus".

I don't think you can skip Telos though, although I could be wrong.

OP: This is good news, but I doubt we'll see anything that could match TSLRCM come out of the workshop.

The game's biggest allure and biggest flaw is that it was incomplete. Patching that up helps, but like with Fallout New Vegas, you get the sense that Obsidian had more time, it would've been a damn masterpiece.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
ServebotFrank said:
So when can we get an update that makes KOTOR not fail on modern pcs?
Given that Bioware are no longer independent and under the claws of EA; never.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
ServebotFrank said:
My PC is pretty modern, and apart from a bit of lag here and there (just slightly) it works perfectly fine.

What problems does it have if i may ask?

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Mahorfeus said:

OP: This is good news, but I doubt we'll see anything that could match TSLRCM come out of the workshop.

The game's biggest allure and biggest flaw is that it was incomplete. Patching that up helps, but like with Fallout New Vegas, you get the sense that Obsidian had more time, it would've been a damn masterpiece.
You get that sense with literally every Obsidian game. Almost all of their games had the potential to become masterpieces had they not been rushed by their publisher.

Chief offenders being KOTOR 2, Alpha Protocol (This game is underrated), and New Vegas. They do Bioware better than Bioware ever did since they do a much better job with branching off paths and with their writing. Pillars of Eternity is probably the only game Obsidian has ever made that they were able to do whatever they wanted with.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
arc1991 said:
ServebotFrank said:
My PC is pretty modern, and apart from a bit of lag here and there (just slightly) it works perfectly fine.

What problems does it have if i may ask?
It doesn't support 1080 resolutions so you have to get a mod that makes it run in Widescreen windowed mode which is a fucking nightmare. If you get just one thing wrong the game will crash. It also needs a separate mod to make the menus not super tiny which I can't get to work despite numerous tutorial videos. Even after I got it working ONCE the game crashed after a few minutes.

I can not get past the Endar Spire, the game just does not work.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
ServebotFrank said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Mahorfeus said:

You get that sense with literally every Obsidian game. Almost all of their games had the potential to become masterpieces had they not been rushed by their publisher.

Chief offenders being KOTOR 2, Alpha Protocol (This game is underrated), and New Vegas. They do Bioware better than Bioware ever did since they do a much better job with branching off paths and with their writing. Pillars of Eternity is probably the only game Obsidian has ever made that they were able to do whatever they wanted with.
Probably because Obsidian likes to fuck with the canon and introduce it's own twist to events that the publishers don't like from a brand recognition/sales data perspective.

I mean, KoTOR II arguably had the best type of exploration behind the Star Wars philosophies, done in a way that was mature and believable(though sometimes still feels a bit cut down, like when you go to Onderon and you choose who you give the extra passports to).

Same thing with New Vegas. The Enclave in FO:3 had nothing on Caesar's Legion as the villains. The latter were an actual force that would hunt you down, make examples of their victims and had a fiercely intelligent leader to boot. To contrast, The Enclave were like CoD Soldiers who just blew shit up and called it evil.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Coruptin said:
Buy from GOG guys. Steam version probably won't even work.
As a person with the Steam version, it works. Hell it's actually been running a lot smoother than it had been. There are still some bugs (dialogue getting cut of or rapidly skipped) but the damned thing works. Also easier access to the Restoration Mod through Steam Workshop.