8 Disappointing Videogame Endings

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Disappointing Videogame Endings

There's nothing worse than a bad ending for a videogame, as these eight examples show.

Read Full Article

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
The Borderlands boss fight was bad. On my first run through, I discovered there was a spot you could stand and just bludgeon the thing to death with a melee attack.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I agreed with Halo 2 and Kotor (especially when it was such an easy boss fight). Before you mention ME3 to me, I haven't played it but I am aware at how bad it was.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I had problems with KOTOR:TSL long before that last conversation. The last 1/4 to 1/3 of that game was downright tedious, and felt like it has basically been thrown together with a lot of use of cut-and-paste, broken up by the occasional overly prolonged boss-fight.

(Another room full of Dark Jedi? Oh... Joy.)

God love Obsidian, but I hope some day they learn how long and how much money it will actually take them to complete work-for-hire. Or just a formula where they add twenty-five percet to their base projections; that might work, too.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Hold on... so Halo 2 gets a mention because it's ending was more-or-less a "to be continued," but Rainbow Six: Vegas doesn't get a mention when its ending ACTUALLY WAS a "To Be Continued" screen.

Huh.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Callate said:
I had problems with KOTOR:TSL long before that last conversation. The last 1/4 to 1/3 of that game was downright tedious, and felt like it has basically been thrown together with a lot of use of cut-and-paste, broken up by the occasional overly prolonged boss-fight.

(Another room full of Dark Jedi? Oh... Joy.)

God love Obsidian, but I hope some day they learn how long and how much money it will actually take them to complete work-for-hire. Or just a formula where they add twenty-five percet to their base projections; that might work, too.
They didn't run out of money, Lucasarts slashed their development time and demanded they get it released for Christmas.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
The most recent one for me was The Order: 1886 it was a disappointing game to begin with, and then it just... ended. When I first saw the ending I said "wait, that's it?" and I was so annoyed by how anti- climatic the whole experience was and how underwhelming I found the game that I have never revisited it. It is such a shame because I was looking forward to it so much before it came out.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
1) I thought the ending to Alan Wake was okay. It left questions, to be sure, but I figured they would just address them in the sequel. I thought it was a good enough ending for the first game. Of course, the sequel never came around, and while the two DLCs and American Nightmare helped explain a lot of stuff, I still want more.

2) Yeah...the whole first Borderlands game was really lacking some spit and polish in the story department. The certainly improved on it in the DLCs and the following games though.

3 and 4) Never played them.

5) I kind of get this one, but again, I'm okay with "To Be Continued" so long as I know there's another game coming. While I would have liked a bit more closure, I knew that Halo 3 would eventually be out and I could see what happens, so I could wait.

6) Yeah...budget cuts and rushed product at their finest. Honestly, part of me is kind of glad that this game go so butchered, because I don't know if I could have handled having some of my friends turn to the Dark Side and having my other friends kill them, but...yeah, so much potential, gone.

7) I thought the ending to Mass Effect 3 was great. What? Shepard has to take her ship back from a rogue Cerberus operative, and then she has a huge party with all of her friends at her new home as they celebrate the defeat of the Reapers. I'm not in denial. I didn't roll my eyes at the Mass Effect 4 trailer. SHUT UP! IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! LALALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING!!!!

8) Never played it.

I would like to add Half-Life 2 Episode 3 (EDIT: 2, I meant 2) to the list. At first, that ending was great. "Oh man, can't wait for the next game!" My friends and I were all buzzing about it for several months after it came out. It has now been years. The buzz is gone, and the excitement that I felt and wanting to know what would happen has long since faded. It has been replaced with a sense of betrayal, which has also faded to a simple, "I just don't care anymore" attitude. Good job, Valve.

Jan 12, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
I would like to add Half-Life 2 Episode 3 to the list. At first, that ending was great. "Oh man, can't wait for the next game!" My friends and I were all buzzing about it for several months after it came out. It has now been years. The buzz is gone, and the excitement that I felt and wanting to know what would happen has long since faded. It has been replaced with a sense of betrayal, which has also faded to a simple, "I just don't care anymore" attitude. Good job, Valve.
You played Episode 3? Tell us your secrets!

OT: Seamus did a great takedown of Fallout 3 on his site. It's one of those stories that gets worse the more you look at it, when all the things that you thought would be explained, or didn't notice the first time, become very obvious and unavoidable.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Tuesday Night Fever said:
Hold on... so Halo 2 gets a mention because it's ending was more-or-less a "to be continued," but Rainbow Six: Vegas doesn't get a mention when its ending ACTUALLY WAS a "To Be Continued" screen.

Huh.
Well in all fairness, RSV was for an actual continuation of the story and the game, while Halo 2 was a case of the whole third game originally being part of the second one, and it was only during develoment that it was decided that half the campeign would be used for a stand alone Halo game after it (Halo 3: ODST wasn't called Halo 3 because of its engine, it was literally supposed to be the actual Halo 3)

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
*cough* Mass Effect 3 was bad overall when you think about *cough*

KoTOR II's ending hurts the most because we'll never get a KoTOR III.

Or if we did, it'd be mutilated by Bioware.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
I would like to add Half-Life 2 Episode 3 to the list. At first, that ending was great. "Oh man, can't wait for the next game!" My friends and I were all buzzing about it for several months after it came out. It has now been years. The buzz is gone, and the excitement that I felt and wanting to know what would happen has long since faded. It has been replaced with a sense of betrayal, which has also faded to a simple, "I just don't care anymore" attitude. Good job, Valve.
You played Episode 3? Tell us your secrets!

OT: Seamus did a great takedown of Fallout 3 on his site. It's one of those stories that gets worse the more you look at it, when all the things that you thought would be explained, or didn't notice the first time, become very obvious and unavoidable.
Time travel, sucker! Let me tell you, you think the ending to Episode 2 was bad? You ain't seen nothing yet!
(Seriously though, oops. My bad.)

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I never considered the ending in The Secret of Monkey Island 2 like a "it was all a dream" ending. It was way too suspicious.

EDIT: I didn't play any Mass Effect game until early this year. Seeing that the ME3 ending controversy was mentioned from time on time, and how disingenuous where the people who complained about the complainers; I decided to play the 3 games before giving my opinion. The result: some of the best 160 hours of my gaming experience I ever had, followed by the most disappointing 1 hour (I played the ending 7 times).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
CaitSeith said:
I never considered the ending in The Secret of Monkey Island 2 like a "it was all a dream" ending. It was way too suspicious.
Yeah, the whole Monkey Island 2 ending was wierd. What makes it wierder is that what it meant was never really addressed in any of the following games(Curse tries to hand wave it all away at the end but it doesn't really work), and Ron Gilbert won't tell anyone what his version of Monkey Island 3 would have been like, so we'll probably never know.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
They didn't run out of money, Lucasarts slashed their development time and demanded they get it released for Christmas.
Actually, no, that's not true.

As near as I understand it- and according to an interview with Obsidian's CEO, Feargus Urquhart- the deadline they struggled to make was the original one they had contracted to accomplish. Apparently there was some mis-communication along the way after a positive QA sign-off that suggested they would be given more time, but it was never signed off on by the brass, and the contract was never changed. That they changed their scheduling for a time to reflect what they believed was the new deadline was unfortunate, and they can certainly be given some slack for that.

But it also needs remembering that they signed on to complete the game in 14-16 months when Bioware had turned down the same timeframe, and at a time that Obsidian had a whopping seven people on their staff (source).

But LucasArts isn't the Sith Lord in all of this, the Obsidianites are quick to point out. The house that Star Wars built sent QA people over to help in-house, and did "crucial" work getting all the game's cinematics together.

No, the real fault, Avellone says, was Obsidian's eyes being bigger than its belly.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
The Fallout 3 ending had problems, for sure (such as the likely presence of an immune to radiation character), but I don't think the fact that you can die is one of them. Nothing wrong with a heroic sacrifice to end a story.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
No coincidence that most of these endings suck because they're just setups for sequels and DLC.

You can leave it open for those and still do a fantastic job wrapping up the current game in a satisfactory way(Mass Effect 2), so there's just no excuse here. If you you're not going to let the bald raging a@#hole kill Zeus, then don't spend the whole game leading up to that and just yank it away and end with 'Buy the Sequel! Which is even dumber than this one!'