Watch: New Super Mario Maker Trailer Invokes Nostalgia

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Watch: New Super Mario Maker Trailer Invokes Nostalgia

Nintendo harnesses the power of the past I'm the new Super Mario Maker trailer.

"You think you know Mario?"

In the new Super Mario Maker trailer, Nintendo wants to stress that nostalgia is not just being used to market the game: nostalgia is the game. The trailer focuses on all of the ways in which you can create and manipulate beloved classic Mario levels.

Nintendo likely expects (hopes?) that Super Mario Maker will be a big console seller for the underperforming Wii U. A console bundle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141704-Super-Mario-Maker-Wii-U-Bundle-Announced] was recently revealed by Nintendo of Europe that includes a black Wii U Premium console, a physical copy of Super Mario Maker, a Hardcover Artbook and a Classic Colours Mario amiibo from the Mario 30th Anniversary Collection.

Super Mario Maker arrives on Wii U on September 11.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Am I the only person who finds the wonky physics in the trailer portions between gameplay footage really frustrating?

P.S. Thanks

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
well, that looks like it could be a terrible amount of good fun. Sort of looks like they took some elements from little big planet and just threw it in there.

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
Pretty cool, although I do wonder how Nintendo expects to sell another Mario side-scroller ever again. This one game renders every single 2D/2.5D Mario obsolete. Has anyone heard if there's going to be a ban on recreating levels wholesale from the previous games? Eg. could you theoretically recreate the entirety of Super Mario Bros. 3 in the New Super Mario Bros style and share it online?

El Portero

Mar 14, 2010
Nintendo: "Hey! Remember when these Mario titles were a thing?

Me: "Why yes, I do remember Mario. It's really hard to be nostalgic for a franchise you never stopped making games for.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Oh for bloody! Is it possible to get rid of the odd shadow they've placed behind all the models? Because it looks really bad.

I know hardly anyone gives a shit about lighting and shadow work these days (even though they're extremely important for making atmosphere) but it makes it look like they're against wallpaper for fuck sake!

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
STENDEC1 said:
Pretty cool, although I do wonder how Nintendo expects to sell another Mario side-scroller ever again. This one game renders every single 2D/2.5D Mario obsolete. Has anyone heard if there's going to be a ban on recreating levels wholesale from the previous games? Eg. could you theoretically recreate the entirety of Super Mario Bros. 3 in the New Super Mario Bros style and share it online?
Well, until they make a Super Mario Maker 3DS, they can still make them for that. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if instead of releasing 'new' 2D Mario games from here on out, they instead just released paid DLC for this. Perhaps $10 for a level pack that uses a new power-up, plus that power-up for your own levels? Either way, despite the level creation tools, we've still got 5 LittleBigPlanet games, so I don't think Mario is in any trouble here.