Rabbit-Centric RPG The Warren Pits Players Against "Creative Constraints"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Rabbit-Centric RPG The Warren Pits Players Against "Creative Constraints"

The Warren's designer wanted to create a "light-footed" game that's easy to learn but filled with "creative constraints."

A couple weeks ago, we reported <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141583-The-Warren-Nears-10-000-in-Kickstarter-Contribution>on The Warren, a tabletop RPG aimed at dropping players into the paws of defenseless rabbits struggling to survive in a cruel wilderness. While it might initially sound odd that players would ever prefer to play as fluffy bunnies rather than armored adventurers, the game's successful <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/kickstarter>Kickstarter campaign has been indicative of one definite thing: role-playing as rabbits is something that people want to do.

The appeal of that idea isn't much of a mystery to the game's designer Marshall Miller. "For me, the fun of role-playing comes not from the boundless possibilities but from the creative constraints," he said, speaking to The Escapist. The Warren's focus on rabbits, in turn, is an attempt on his part to create an experience where players can't rely on magic spells or brute force to overcome obstacles. "Rabbits may compete among themselves, to bolster their statuses or help establish the kind of community that they want to live in, but there's no way they can meet a dog or an owl or a man or a tractor-driven multi-crop thresher head on." Stripped of the power to fight, players will instead have to fall back on their wits and find alternative methods of attaining victory.

Despite this focus on forcing players to think outside of the hack-and-slash box, Marshall also wanted to make a game that reduced its mechanics down to something that was, ultimately, easy to pick up. "One of my goals for The Warren was to make a light-footed game that was easy to teach, run, and wrap up at conventions," he explained. Focusing the game on rabbits made this easier because they naturally can't use a lot of the modifying equipment and tools that can make other rule sets seem so convoluted. "The Warren has only one playbook with a couple options for [each] rabbit." This brevity allowed Miller, and the game's publishers at Bully Pulpit Games, to produce a system where individual sessions don't have to take too long but can still tie into longer and deeper campaigns.
[gallery=4457]
The Warren, of course, isn't the first RPG to base itself on the plight of rabbits. Back in 1976, for instance, Fantasy Games Unlimited published Bunnies & Burrows. Similar to The Warren, it emphasized role-playing over battles and pit players against a merciless natural world. That game would go on to be revised and published multiple times. We'll have to wait and see, of course, if The Warren enjoys a similar longevity. If its success <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bullypulpitgames/the-warren-0>at Kickstarter is any indicator (it's raised five times its initial goal), it might have a chance.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I always said what Watership Down was missing was a bunch of D20 rolls and pen/paper rules.

God forbid they do something fun like Ninja Rabits vs the Canadian Lava Goose.
But no, they had to go with a dry, realistic RPG where you attempt to bite a carrot, roll a 1, get a critical miss, break a tooth and slowly starve to death...

Sep 13, 2009
Sounds kind of interesting actually. From the reviews and impressions I've seen of it, it looks like it's being pretty well received. I showed this to a friend and she's going absolutely nuts over it

Silentpony said:
But no, they had to go with a dry, realistic RPG where you attempt to bite a carrot, roll a 1, get a critical miss, break a tooth and slowly starve to death...
That's a relief. Apocalypse World uses two d6's, so you'd never need to worry about that happening.

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
This might be the closet I would get to some Redwall rpgs or games. I mean the idea sounds interesting so color me intrigued.

Schtimpy

Oct 29, 2013
Riot3000 said:
This might be the closet I would get to some Redwall rpgs or games. I mean the idea sounds interesting so color me intrigued.
Overgrowth
http://www.wolfire.com/overgrowth (or youtubing it is good)
Alpha. Humanoid rabbits, wolves, cats, rats and dogs with swords. little on the brutal side, 1 hit kills and fast paced, but that kinda fits Redwall. It's expensive, and you can't load that many characters/entities for large battles, but user made maps and really good parkour.

OT:

I don't really play roleplaying games, but I think this is really cool for two reasons:

1. Any game that comes out that's not about killing stuff is a good thing. As a fan of killing stuff, we have too many games about killing stuff. Any idea that comes out could start a trend and we can get more variety, and..

2. I'd love a (pc) game where I can play as a animal in a full natural ecosystem. I know of one or two, but those are scenarios, and I'd rather open world.

just saying, it'd be really cool if this took off, became a genre, and came to other media. Who else misses old discovery?

(unless discovery dodged the craphammer that hit the rest of the EDU cable channels, then nvm on that last part.)