Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's Bosses Can be Beat by Combat, Stealth or Wits

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's Bosses Can be Beat by Combat, Stealth or Wits

You'll be able to tackle Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's "boss battles" from multiple different angles.

Mankind Divided [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/deus%20ex%20human%20revolution], there will be a lot more tools to deal with bosses.

"It's all about supporting all the different play aspects," stated gameplay director Patrick Fortier. "That was the main thing that was missing from the boss fights. Thematically, I think they were interesting, but certain players found a challenge there that wasn't really catered to them."

As for Mankind Divided's bosses, Fortier explains that "There are ways to stealth them, there are ways to beat them in combat and there are conversations you can have that maybe give you a different means of dealing with the situation altogether."

"You can also decide to do it lethally or not," adds narrative director Mary DeMarle. "For Human Revolution, because of the way we designed it, [the bosses] always died in the cutscenes. You had no choice. But we rectified that in the Missing Link DLC, and we've rectified it in this game."

Good to see that they have addressed the single piece of most consistent criticism for the game.

Source: Games Radar [http://www.gamesradar.com/deus-ex-mankind-divided-lets-you-defeat-bosses-combat-stealth-or-conversation/]

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Cool now we just need to know beforehand who these people are, why we are opposing each other and we generally need to give a fuck about them.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
But can they be beaten in the art of a true gentleman, the riverdance?

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Ok, two things. Firstly, I didn't have a problem with having to fight boss battles, I had a problem with the whole idea of ending sections of the games with boss encounters full stop.

Secondly, my biggest problem with Human Revolution wasn't the boss battles (although they were awful) but rather the ending which boiled down to "All your choices so far were meaningless, press 1,2,3 or 4 for ending 1,2,3 or 4."

DerangedHobo

Jan 11, 2012
TallanKhan said:
ending which boiled down to "All your choices so far were meaningless, press 1,2,3 or 4 for ending 1,2,3 or 4."
Honestly, I still see that as one major troll by the writer(s). Like "Hey, you're in a Deus Ex game, here's 3 DIFFERENT KINDS OF DEUS EX MACHINA!". My personal gripe with the endings is that it will probably have dickall affect on the final game which is really annoying. It'd be understandable if it was with a different character but the whole "give you choice in this game" and then proceeding to choose one of those choices and just call it "cannon" in the sequel is lazy.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
DerangedHobo said:
TallanKhan said:
ending which boiled down to "All your choices so far were meaningless, press 1,2,3 or 4 for ending 1,2,3 or 4."
Honestly, I still see that as one major troll by the writer(s). Like "Hey, you're in a Deus Ex game, here's 3 DIFFERENT KINDS OF DEUS EX MACHINA!". My personal gripe with the endings is that it will probably have dickall affect on the final game which is really annoying. It'd be understandable if it was with a different character but the whole "give you choice in this game" and then proceeding to choose one of those choices and just call it "cannon" in the sequel is lazy.
I'd agree with you two, except the game crashed repeatedly on a random stairwell right at the end.

This was with the game in windowed mode with the lowest resolution and all the settings down as my shiny new PC apparently couldn't handle the cockroach infested DE.

OT:
Yay! I didn't mind them at all, but some many people whined about it I'm glad that did it so they are all happy. Hopefully it's like the "good" options in Dishonoured for non-lethally removing someone from the situation. Though a certain non-lethal in Dishonoured is definitely not good at all. Creepy Lord, that one is.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
Sounds good, the bossfights were really annoying. The first one was especially bad.
I hope that they also modify the leveling system, so that it doesn't discourage playing it different to being stealthy while knocking every single enemy out with the takedown ability.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
great news indeed. once you knew how to handle the bosses in HR it wasnt much of a hassle but certainly annoying if you try to be all stealthy. like it really makes no sense when encountering the first boss after being all stealthy without raising an alarm. how the hell could they know im here?
looking forward to this title then.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Dango said:
But can they be beaten in the art of a true gentleman, the riverdance?
Probably not. So... pre-order cancelled.

OT: This is good. Stealth was the way to go if you really want to feel like a badass. Hopefully the PC port will be as good as Human Revolution was.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Good! I would have been permanently stuck on the second boss if she didn't glitch out and get stuck in a wall so I could point blank headshot her 5 or 6 times.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
K12 said:
Good! I would have been permanently stuck on the second boss if she didn't glitch out and get stuck in a wall so I could point blank headshot her 5 or 6 times.
lol. she is actually easy.
all i used was the typhoon. this always stuns her but eventually she dies after 5 or 6 of them.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Teoes said:
Cool now we just need to know beforehand who these people are, why we are opposing each other and we generally need to give a fuck about them.
If you know any of these things ahead of time then it's not Deus Ex.

Speaking of which, I'm playing through Human Revolution right now and really quite enjoying it.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Of course they are. They're not going to fuck that up again after the backlash from last time. Its not EA or Activison we're talking about here.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
008Zulu said:
I have the Directors Cut of HR, but I still had to shoot the bosses and kill them. Did I miss something?
No, that is exactly what the article is about. You have to somehow kill the bosses in HR, even if you've only specced stealth and was trying to do a non-kill run of the game. The reason apparently being that they hired someone else to do the bossfights while they concentrated on the rest of the game.

After the backlash they changed it in the dlc, and they're going to change it in the next game now.

edit: I understand the confusion now. What they meant is that they changed the boss in the dlc to that nature. They obviously couldn't go back and change all the bosses in the normal game, because that would mean changing the entire game, throw out a bunch of cutscenes and make new ones, record new dialog, change the rooms, etc etc. It wouldn't be possible within a reasonable budget.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Halyah said:
TallanKhan said:
Ok, two things. Firstly, I didn't have a problem with having to fight boss battles, I had a problem with the whole idea of ending sections of the games with boss encounters full stop.

Secondly, my biggest problem with Human Revolution wasn't the boss battles (although they were awful) but rather the ending which boiled down to "All your choices so far were meaningless, press 1,2,3 or 4 for ending 1,2,3 or 4."
Both the first and second game did similar. Although they did require a weeeeee bit more effort(though the endings were mostly bad there too).
I will give you that but to my mind it was more forgiveable in the early games, afterall, when the original Deus Ex came out games in general were far more linear so any kind of differentiated ending was fairly innovative. To my mind it is far less excusable today.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
My gripe with HR was that more xp for stealth. So to make the most points stealth was the best route. It was tricky at times to get the "ghost" ratings. I like a challenge, but I'd rather it was truly open to all approaches like Hitman and Dishonored.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Teoes said:
If you know any of these things ahead of time then it's not Deus Ex.

Speaking of which, I'm playing through Human Revolution right now and really quite enjoying it.
Except not the case for Deus Ex with Navarre, Hermann or Simons. In each case we had a good idea of their personalities and motivations before heading to our choice of resolution and the game was better for it. Not the same can be said or to the same extent for Human Revolution.

Don't confuse me for someone on an HR downer, by the way. I loved that game.. apart from the bossfights.