Harebrained Schemes to Kickstart BattleTech this Fall

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Harebrained Schemes to Kickstart BattleTech this Fall

Jordan Weisman returning to the well once more.

Harebrained Schemes, developer behind Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and the forthcoming Shadowrun: Hong Kong has announced their intent to launch a Kickstarter campaign to develop a game based on a different classic FASA franchise. At GenCon in Indianapolis this week, the studio revealed they will seek funding for a new BattleTech.

Few details have been announced regarding the project at this stage. The studio has confirmed that the game will feature turn-based combat (the first in the franchise to do so in more than twenty years), and will have an open-ended, "Mercenary-style," campaign.

Co-created by Harebrained Schemes' founder Jordan Weisman, BattleTech first saw life on the tabletop in 1984 (as "BattleDroids") and has spawned numerous spin-off series (including MechWarrior, MechAssault, and MechCommander), more than a hundred novels, and even a short-lived animated series.

BattleTech will be the fourth Kickstarter campaign from Harebrained Schemes. Their 2012 funding drive for Shadowrun Returns amassed $1.8 million, resulting in the production of that game and its expansion (later released as a standalone title), Dragonfall. A second Shadowrun Kickstarter in January of this year also met with success and Harebrained will release the fruits of that labor, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, next month.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Are they really going to use Kickstarter for all of their games? You'd think getting over-funded with all previous projects would make up most of the money to be spent on developing a new thing. (Basically I'm saying is do they really need Kickstarter a forth time?)

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Not enough information to really talk about. I mean don't announce you will be doing a kickstarter because all there is for us to do is wait and try not to forget about it.

On the other hand, I have been looking a mech TBS game with no results for a long time, but on the other other hand I didn't like shadow-run all that much. It had too much talking. I got really board with Harebrained's last game and haven't been able to finish it. Though on the other, other, other hand the campaign style might fix that issue.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
You mean the first "released" and "official" turn-based BattleTech game. MechWarrior Tactics never came out (thank god. that project was shit) and MegaMek has been doing table-top-rules BattleTech for years.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Aerosteam said:
Are they really going to use Kickstarter for all of their games? You'd think getting over-funded with all previous projects would make up most of the money to be spent on developing a new thing. (Basically I'm saying is do they really need Kickstarter a forth time?)
No, they don't need one. In fact they already have the funding needed for the core of the game.* I kind of think kickstarter is being used more as a way to get in touch with their audience. (Gage interest, spread the word, get money and options.) I think you will find different views on how OK that is.

*oops, I may have got that detail wrong. I read speculation as fact in one article.

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Aerosteam said:
Imagine the shitstorm that would result from backers if it were learned that they allocated excess funds collected from a campaign to a different project, though. Anyone with a minor quibble about the quality of the crowdfunded project would immediately claim fraud.

A better question might be why they aren't using profits from the other projects to fund development, but I suspect that they probably are. The finances of Kickstarter projects are all kinds of convoluted now, as many crowdfunded games will actually cost considerably more than the projects seek in donations, and it's a safe bet that some of their money is tied up in there.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Since I absolutely loathe Mechwarrior Online and the old Mechwarrior games don't work on my PC I FULLY support this project, hell I'll actually contribute to the Kickstarter.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
Harebrained offers things I have never wanted and suddenly, with a few meager words I am filled with desire.

Clearly, theirs is a vile sorcery I should have nothing but hate for and yet, my heart is filled with a sweet longing, an anticipation of things to come, for an another piece of this wrong world to be set right once more. And even though I know 'tis but base lust for filthy lucre that drives them on, to deny them my allegiance would be to deny my very self.

All in all, the idea looks pretty promising :D

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Conrad Zimmerman said:
Aerosteam said:
Imagine the shitstorm that would result from backers if it were learned that they allocated excess funds collected from a campaign to a different project, though. Anyone with a minor quibble about the quality of the crowdfunded project would immediately claim fraud.

A better question might be why they aren't using profits from the other projects to fund development, but I suspect that they probably are. The finances of Kickstarter projects are all kinds of convoluted now, as many crowdfunded games will actually cost considerably more than the projects seek in donations, and it's a safe bet that some of their money is tied up in there.
It looks like they are doing the same thing here that they did with Shadowrun: Hong Kong, they are using profits from their other projects, and the profits from Hong Kong will likely go towards this game. The game is likely already funded at its core and will be produced whether the kickstarter succeeds or not.

The system that the studio is using seems to be relying on Kickstarter to fund extra content rather than the core game, the way they justify it is by stating that their games are niche (which they are, these aren't multi-million unit sellers with a $60 price tag) and kickstarter funds allow them to hit above what their budget would normally allow.

Some people don't believe that and say its scummy behavior, but they managed to use it effectively with Dragonfall, which was a massive improvement in pretty much every way from the admittedly kind of mediocre Shadowrun Returns. If they can do it again with Hong Kong coming the 20th of August, then they might be able to adequately justify this particular method of using Kickstarter i.e.: as a way to give indie companies the extra budget to make niche titles more robust than their previous titles.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
This is great news! They did a good job on the first Shadowrun game and since then they've practiced their craft and poured profits into each subsequent release. I'll almost definitely be backing this...since Front Mission 5 i've been stuck for a good mech combat game

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
That's very cool; I used to play MechCommander in the Starlance League, and most of the other Battletech games. An updated version of any of those would be welcome.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Aerosteam said:
If it works...

Pragmatically speaking, getting overfunded is a double edged sword. Yes you get more money, but that also equates to more sales, more production, more shipping and more of the small but rapidly stacking ancillary costs. These projects run at a profit (or they should) but I don't think it's entirely fair to assume that there will be a giant pile of money to set aside for the next project that may or may not work.

Running a Kickstarter lets Harebrained separate the risks of each new project from the company, if it's funded great, if it isn't shrug and focus on the next one, you haven't committed much funding. It certainly makes sense from a business perspective.

On a purely emotional note, the only thing I want from Battletech is Warhammer scale Mech and tank models. The Imperial Guard must be supported by Timberwolves of the hitherto lost Legio Kerensky!

Captcha: GADZOOKS! Yes captcha, gadzooks indeed.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I know absolutely nothing about mech warrior, just that there are mechs and that Hairbrained schemes is really good at making games.

Consider me on board!

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
So far their track record is fine; Shadowrun Returns was a good start for reviving the franchise, Dragonfall and its subsequent Director's Cut were good followups that improved on the mechanics, and Hong Kong is looking to be an even better addition. Bringing back Battletech could be interesting, if just because I feel that the mech genre is very underutilized in gaming.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
JamesBr said:
MegaMek has been doing table-top-rules BattleTech for years.
Heh, I was be so on board if this project was nothing more than MegaMek with some bells and whistles.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
JamesBr said:
You mean the first "released" and "official" turn-based BattleTech game. MechWarrior Tactics never came out (thank god. that project was shit) and MegaMek has been doing table-top-rules BattleTech for years.
Whatever happened with Mechwarrior Tactics anyway? I remember a decent bit of word of mouth, a bunch of people streamin it (and showin the tons of really bad connection problems with it), then it just sort of died.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
shintakie10 said:
JamesBr said:
Whatever happened with Mechwarrior Tactics anyway? I remember a decent bit of word of mouth, a bunch of people streamin it (and showin the tons of really bad connection problems with it), then it just sort of died.
It lost its developer (Roadhouse initially) and then bounced around for a while trying to find a new one before the publisher (Infinite Games Publishing) shut down and it got canned. The property was sold to someone (not sure who) at the end of 2014 and we haven't heard from it since.

Corralis

Nov 12, 2009
shintakie10 said:
JamesBr said:
They stole everyone's money and fucked off apparently. I didn't bother funding Mechwarrior Tactics, I already spent about $1000 in Mechwarrior Online and that game is far more fun.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
Slycne said:
JamesBr said:
MegaMek has been doing table-top-rules BattleTech for years.
Heh, I was be so on board if this project was nothing more than MegaMek with some bells and whistles.
Me too. Something a bit easier to use, with more polish. I'd be totally down for that. They did a decent job with Shadowrun, fingers crossed they get to make this. Not enough table-top-wargames have been made into digital form using 1:1 table-top rules.