Capcom Questions Fans About Possible Resident Evil 2 Remake

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Capcom Questions Fans About Possible Resident Evil 2 Remake

A recent Facebook post from Capcom's R&D Division has asked fans what they think about a possible Resident Evil 2 remake.

While the original Resident Evil is considered by many to be the essential survival horror classic, there are some (present company included) who would point to its sequel, Resident Evil 2, as being a far superior product. That being the case, you can perhaps understand the frustration of the game's fans who have watched Capcom re-release and remake the series' first game on several occasions while barely even giving its follow-up the time of day. If a recent Facebook posting is any indicator however, that's something that could potentially change.

Writing last night on the Resident Evil <a href=https://www.facebook.com/residentevil/posts/1011658972188323>Facebook page, Capcom's R&D Division asked fans for their thoughts about a possible <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133989-Resident-Evil-2-Fan-Remakes-Playable-Police-Station> Resident Evil 2 remake. "Enthusiasm for a Resident Evil 2 remake is something we've been hearing from you over the years, and has drawn some recent attention in the media," the company wrote. "We're not certain how we feel about this approach, and would like to ask your honest and frank opinion about the 'Resident Evil 2 Remake' and what the brand identity is supposed to be about." Since the query was posted, more than 7,000 people have offered responses with many expressing strong feelings of "take my money now, please."

While the phrasing is perhaps a bit odd, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that Capcom might be curious about gamer's take on a possible RE2 remake. Setting aside the fact that the game's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/goodoldreviews/12504-Good-Old-Review-Resident-Evil-2> freaking awesome and deserves more attention, last year's HD remaster of the 2002 Resident Evil remake was actually something of a hit for the company. Capcom has likewise since <a href=http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2014/full/explanation_2014_full_05.pdf>expressed interest in producing even more remasters and remakes to help bolster its bottom line. Continuing with Resident Evil 2 would only make sense.

Source: <a href=https://www.facebook.com/residentevil/posts/1011658972188323>Capcom

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
Yes, a thousand times yes Capcom, remake 2 , 3 and maybe even Code Veronica, I'd rather have you churn out HD remakes every 5 years of Resident Evil than watch them continue down the path they have been going in.

Now can we get HD remasters of Breath of Fire 1 to 4 as well?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
On one hand: ALL OF MY YES.

On the other hand: they put a dipstick to gauge interest in Megaman Legends 3, got overwhelming hype as a response, and decided to cancel it out of "lack of interest".

You can never be certain with Capcom. I'm honestly surprised they haven't pulled the "If enough people buy X, we may consider working on Y" gambiit, like they did with Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, and Darkstalkers.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
gave my vote. a very big yes indeed. would be great if we can play in a third person perspective and /or switch from 3rd person to fixed camera angles.
also requested to have a dino crisis remake. this game is also awesome and very underrated.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm actually all for it, controversially, but I'd rather they just hot-box the RE0 remake as soon as possible.

....actually scratch that. Please PLEASE Campcom, take your time. Lovingly polish these games, change a few things if need, make re-write some of your legendarily terrible dialogue.

Make the RE0 and RE2 remakes games that even a jaded fucker like I can look forward to.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Scrythe said:
On one hand: ALL OF MY YES.

On the other hand: they put a dipstick to gauge interest in Megaman Legends 3, got overwhelming hype as a response, and decided to cancel it out of "lack of interest".

You can never be certain with Capcom. I'm honestly surprised they haven't pulled the "If enough people buy X, we may consider working on Y" gambiit, like they did with Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, and Darkstalkers.
True, but RE2 was an overwhelming financial and critical success, while ML was not. I think Innafune leaving also had something to do with it. I see it as being similar to the konami scandal now.

I'm surprised it took the company this long to notice. REmake was definitely the best of the bunch, but an RE2 remake could be just as exceptional.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Is this in response to how they've been shown as incompetent by that fan remake of RE 2 in UE4?

Hey, someone remake MegaMan in a next gen engine and maybe then Capcom will stop sniffing their own arses for five minutes.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
"Oh shit, Square Enix is doing that thing everyone wants them to, we should step up our game. Hey fans, should we remake that game you really really want remade? We're not sure if you want that. We definitely don't."

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Oh yes, yes, yes please!

That is if it's in the style of REmake, meaning prerendered backgrounds. And I don't know how keen Capcom is to go back to that style of game design. Could they even do it? I mean, what was their last game with prerendered backgrounds? Onimusha 2?

It's important to remember that the HD re-release of REmake was just that... a re-release -It wasn't an Resident Evil from scratch. And Capcom's current record for the RE games hasn't been great.

I'm all for a REmake2, but I question if Capcom still has the chops to pull it off -To give it that same treatment they gave REmake.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Just get rid of the rhesus monkeys who made the PC port, they couldn't even remove the mouse cursor. That requires at least a chimpanzee.

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
For the love of god yes... we wanted it back when they teased us with a Gamecube remake of RE2, which was just a port, we wanted it when they did RE Zero, and we were praying for it when REmaster sold so well. Capcom, do this, give us a proper Remake of RE2 and not just a port with updated visuals, we have been begging for over a decade now!

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
RE2 was not only my favorite game of the series, it was the last one that I enjoyed.

However, and I can't stress this enough, Capcom has got to figure out a better control scheme. Playing all of these games is not unlike playing Surgeon Simulator but without it being fun to try and overcome the controls.