Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation - Does Tom Cruise Still Have It?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation - Does Tom Cruise Still Have It?

The fifth installments in long-running franchises aren't always good. How did the new Mission: Impossible turn out?

Read Full Article

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
During the film Jupiter Ascending, i was thinking of this current over-dependance on CGI and how it detracts from any sense of real tension. It was early on as the obvious main hero came swooping down in a hail of CGI and choreography to save teh girl; i lost any sense of fear for the character's lives as they focused too much on the pretty colours and sweet moves instead of visceral, close shots to make us feel we were there. It failed to excite on that level when you know they are getting out anyway, i was just waiting for the CGI shield-cushion to end so something slightly more believable would begin...Like conversation. And for an epic sci-fi adventure, that is a huge fail. It was disappointig because the film could have been great. It has a premise that quite caught my attention.

Oh well. TL:DR This looks to be just what i need as a counterbalance. They missed out though; Tony Jaa would have complimented the experience perfectly for visceral action. He could even just be a second tier guard, it wont matter. As long as his elbows and knees do the talking.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
I don't know why but all the spy films look fun this year

Kingsman
Mission Impossible
Man from U.N.C.L.E
Spectre

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Remember that Dave Chappelle skit where they had "Dave Chappelle: the movie. Written by Dave Chappelle"? That is sometimes what these movies feel like.

Don't get me wrong, I've actually enjoyed all of them (except the 2nd), but sometimes the whole thing does come across as Tom Cruise making a fantasy movie about how totally awesome Tom Cruise is.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
P-89 Scorpion said:
I don't know why but all the spy films look fun this year

Kingsman
Mission Impossible
Man from U.N.C.L.E
Spectre
Kingsman was actually great. It's very b-movie in a good pulpy sort of way and obviously doesn't take itself seriously, which just makes it more fun.

I might see this latest mission impossible film, I've pretty much been over Tom Cruise in general, but then I happened to see Edge of Tomorrow because I was interested in the original novel (which had a much better and more awesome name of "All you need is Kill") and to my great surprise, both me and my wife really liked it. It was a good film.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Good to hear it's another hit. Ghost Protocol was awesome, because not just Tom, but every principal character got to do something cool. I hope that continues in this new one.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Darth_Payn said:
Good to hear it's another hit. Ghost Protocol was awesome, because not just Tom, but every principal character got to do something cool. I hope that continues in this new one.
Did you see it? Was it good? I think 1-3 blah at best. Ghost Protocol was terrific in large part due to the reasons you state: a terrific ensemble entertainment. I'm hoping this is in that league.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
So, I saw this, and it was a pretty well-executed piece of fluff action. Not quite as "turn off your brain" as some of the Furious movies, but nothing you'll be thinking about in a year, most likely.

One thing did bother me, though- the mook henchmen are all supposed to be highly trained ex-intelligence agents (and ones recruited under a highly particular set of circumstances, at that), but they're all treated by everyone (including the Big Bad) as if they were completely expendable, interchangable, off-the-shelf thugs. A movie like this usually only has time for a certain number of named characters who receive some development, but if I were actually someone like one of these guys are supposed to be, halfway through the movie or before I would be saying, "Screw this! I'm forging a new identity and disappearing before I get casually bumped off! I have career options, dammit!"