Final Fantasy VII Remake Will Include "Dramatic" Changes

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Final Fantasy VII Remake Will Include "Dramatic" Changes

Director Tetsuya Nomura has confirmed that Final Fantasy VII's recently announced remake will feature "dramatic" changes to its gameplay.

The announcement of a bona fide <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140764-Artist-Creates-130-Final-Fantasy-VII-Art-Pieces-in-Six-Months>Final Fantasy VII remake was easily one of the most welcome shockers to come out <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e3-2015/14114-Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake>of Sony's 2015 E3 conference. As excited as some fans were however, the reveal also led <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/14175-Erin-On-the-Prospect-of-FF7>some gamers to worry about how faithful an experience Square Enix could produce in the modern era. Addressing the issue recently, the company confirmed that it will indeed be making some alterations to the game's formula, some of which will be "dramatic."

That, at least, is what was expressed by director Tetsuya Nomura when he spoke about the game in a recent interview. More specifically, Nomura indicated that the combat in the new version will most likely utilize a new combat system rather than simply recreating the active-time battles from the original. "We are bringing dramatic changes to the Final Fantasy VII Remake," he stated. "So we're hoping that you'll look forward to additional information that we'll be able to release when the time comes."

Nomura would go on to promise that the changes being made wouldn't transform the game so deeply that it would be unrecognizable to fans. "We want to clarify," he said. "We're not going to be changing it into a shooter or something like that. We are going to be bringing dramatic changes, but we want to make sure it's still recognizable." He would additionally indicate that the development team will be looking to the film Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children as a visual reference, although they won't be using actual models from the movie due to the fact it's "almost ten years" old.

Speaking personally, I don't really think that Square Enix needs to tinker with the gameplay at all. I know that some people dislike the battle systems from older Final Fantasy titles, but I honestly think the gameplay in those now outdated games was leagues stronger than anything Square Enix has produced in the franchise's more modern iterations. Moreover, while the company obviously needs to sell copies to more than just the fans of the original, I'm willing to bet that many of the game's hardcore devotees would be perfectly happy with just a polished up ATB system.

Source: <a href=http://gematsu.com/2015/07/final-fantasy-vii-remake-bringing-dramatic-changes-combat>Gematsu

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I'd be okay with a more action based battle system.
It's the story (and Cloud's personality in particular) I'd rather they not mess too much with, I probably won't get my wish.

gact

May 26, 2014
ATB system is the best for RPGs where you control multiple characters, I hate that system where you just suggest to an AI what to do, it limits strategies and most of the times the AI just sucks and ends up dead.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
I feel merging the battle system of Chrono Trigger to that of FF7 would probably be a decent way to "modernize" the ATB system, except have the characters stay in place after attacking, maybe jumping out of the way of allies and stuff like that. Essentially, make it look 3D without making it "action". Another change that would probably be good (if implemented well of course) is giving each character some more unique abilities beyond limit breaks and stat differences.

Ultimately I'd be fine with a 1:1 port of gameplay and story (other than making translations better of course :p), but as long as they don't make it into "FFXIII: Cloud edition" I'd be okay with gameplay changes as well. I'm of similar mind to Eclipse Dragon when it comes to story and Clouds personality though. Mess that shit up and there will be blood!

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
uh, why? There was nothing wrong about FFVII's system and quite frankly all the systems they've done since then (save for FFX) have been either clumsy or just plain bad.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Personally I'd love to see FF7 with FF10's battle system...that swap-in-swap-out in the middle of combat as great.

As for the character models, I want my "good god are those watermelons beneath your tank top?!" Tifa. :(

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh good. DLC to keep Aeris alive.
I've always said the cliche characters, predictable plot, repetitive combat, and exceptionally corny JRPG dialogue would have been SO much better if that one chick had survived.

But in all seriousness, are they serious? There is nothing they can add that will stop this game from bombing. The problem isn't lack of content, its that nostalgia has warped so many minds and people forget just how boring that game was, and that it was only considered good because of the time period/other games that were around at its release.
There have been so many better games since '97 that this remake will fly as well as a lead balloon at the event horizon of a blackhole.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Aiddon said:
uh, why? There was nothing wrong about FFVII's system and quite frankly all the systems they've done since then (save for FFX) have been either clumsy or just plain bad.
Nomura said in a previous interview that if things weren't changed, there wouldn't even be any point in this project, as people could just buy the original game. It kinda seems like he sees this as a new project complementary to the original rather than a replacement or a "definitive" version.

It also remains to be seen how drastic he means by drastic. Just because it won't be the old ATB system anymore doesn't mean materia is going away (in fact, due to its story significance, it's almost certainly staying), or that the new game won't be turn-based. It could be a re-imagined turn system that's been designed to move faster (similar to FFX), or it could be an action RPG like Kingdom Hearts. It's too early to say yet.

Also, it's worth noting that Tetsuya Nomura didn't work on FFXII or FFXIII, so his ideas might be better than what Hiroyuki Ito or Motomu Toriyama came up with for those games, respectively. Or they might suck. I am totally prepared to be disappointed, but I'm not going to assume I will be.

P.S. Thanks

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Okay now my hype is gone. It seems like that creeping feeling that square is to out of touch is justified. The last few FF battle systems have SUCKED. If they do something like ff12's combat system I will be absolutely devastated...

Honestly what the hell is wrong with the old one? Why change what worked well? Just tweak it a little, don't outright throw it away.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Well there was this way too freaking long magic menu to navigate and pretty much unusable 4x spell materias because nobody likes watching the ultima animation 4 times and everyone always phases magic out completely and ends up with 4x attack instead in the endgame so there's that to improve.
I'd also have no issues if this was actually turn based a la final fantasy X.
The "watching bars fill" part is kind of unnecessary and just gives the enemies free turns while you navigate menus.

The materia growth system could also be a bit more organic and less grindy and maybe they could expand on the materia combination system by having all combos do something like fire+ice creates a steam spell or something.

However since he chose a "shooter" as a reference point of what we won't have to expect, that doesn't rule stuff like kingdom hearts, ff13 or ff12s battle systems out which kinda worries me.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Well, that stinks a mega bunch!

Been many years since they made great games in the FF range, and we want THIS to be FF VII. You can have FF 16 be FF 16, guys... :'(

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I kinda assumed they'd do this, but I hoped they wouldn't. I'd have loved to see a shiny fancy FF with combat that was at once a homage, and also an evolution of classic TB combat. But nope! That would require effort and nuance and craft, and we can't have that...

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Perhaps I am cynical but I can't imagine this end up being anything but a trainwreck. This is the new Square, after all.

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
I'd prefer if they just gave us an option between the old system and a new one. That would give the game a bit more replay value.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
Every new combat system past the basic turn based 3man team simply made it too complicated for me to get into. I don't enjoy spending 20hrs learning an unintuitive combat system every game, so if that is the case, I'll most likely give it a miss.