Report: Final Fantasy XII Remake Coming Out "Soon"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: Final Fantasy XII Remake Coming Out "Soon"

Final Fantasy composer Arnie Roth says that a FFXII remake is on the way.

Some potentially good news for Final Fantasy fans, it looks like 2006's Final Fantasy XII may be in for the HD remake treatment. At a recent Final Fantasy Distant Worlds concert in Pittsburgh, composer Arnie Roth let slip that that "there is a Final Fantasy XII remake underway," adding that it would be coming out "soon."

You can check out the anonymously submitted video of his announcement Final Fantasy network [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMGTCxb6rAc]).

While Roth does state "remake", which suggests the new project will be a full remake a-la Final Fantasy VII [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141841-Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Director-Planning-Big-Changes-to-Gamepl], what is more likely is that this is just a HD remake, as FFXII was released for the PlayStation 2, and it wouldn't be too hard to bump up the graphics for current gen platforms.

Square Enix hasn't officially announced anything yet, but given the fact that it recently pushed out HD remakes of Final Fantasy X and X-2, it seems fairly probable.

To add a little more credibility, Final Fantasy XII composer Hitoshi Sakimoto was at the event, which is what sparked the announcement in the first place.

Source: FF Network [https://twitter.com/finalfantasynet/status/627677740821393408]

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Fuck yeah- looking forward to finally finishing this thing on my Vita.

Ooh, and I bet it's got that special edition stuff they released in Japan, too, so there's that to look forward to.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I didn't hate XII but I did hate i couldn't do the Zodiac Job System and I also hated Vaan.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Veldie said:
I didn't hate XII but I did hate i couldn't do the Zodiac Job System and I also hated Vaan.
Everyone hated Vaan, it's why you didn't have to have him in the party once you got enough people. Maybe he's less annoying in japanese.

This is actually one of my favorites. Wonder if it'll come out on pc

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
FFXII, I did enjoy that game. I don't believe it received the attention that it could have, especially since PS3 was released the following month.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Article contains two small mistakes by omission: the remake of final fantasy 11 into final fantasy 14 to make it prettier, and then the remake of the remake to make it good. *rimshot* I'll be here all week folks, try the veal.

EOTD

Dec 22, 2009
I really wanted to like this one, but I was never able to get into it. Traded it for Kingdom Hearts II after two days of playing. I keep thinking about giving it another try, but will a HD remake solve the problems I had with it? I'm gonna keep an eye on this.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Cool. I really liked 12's combat system, and I loved the world but... can they do something about Vaan?

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Cannot wait! FFXII was an amazing iteration of the series for me. Usually I do not go for the remakes, but I was one of the unfortunates that got stuck with the perma-blur glitch on the PS2 original. :(

So this will be my chance to both enjoy the game, and be able to finally read/see everything - lmao.

Venatio

Sep 6, 2009
Why does this game need a remake? The plot was a disjointed mess, the characters almost completely unlikable and the combat was akin to banging your head against a wall of pillows for an hour.

I agree with Ragsnstiches, would be nice if we could eject that whiny crap Vaan. It's like they got Tidus and took away everything that made him a somewhat decent protagonist and increased the character flaws to over 9000!

So, who else had absolutely no idea what we were doing in this game by the halfway point? Don't remember the halfway point? Exactly.

Chungus

The memes, Jack!
Mar 25, 2012
If this is going to be a shinier version of the original game, then meh. I still have that, and a working PS2 to play it on. But if it's the Zodiac Job version, then oh mah Lawd, yes. I will buy the fuck out of it.

Either way, I hope this means they clean up the poor audio. While I thought they more MIDI-sounding music had its charm, the voice acting sounding like it was recorded with a towel over the microphone brought the game down.

Not being forced to use Vaan in towns would be nice, too. :p

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Venatio said:
Why does this game need a remake? The plot was a disjointed mess, the characters almost completely unlikable and the combat was akin to banging your head against a wall of pillows for an hour.

I agree with Ragsnstiches, would be nice if we could eject that whiny crap Vaan. It's like they got Tidus and took away everything that made him a somewhat decent protagonist and increased the character flaws to over 9000!

So, who else had absolutely no idea what we were doing in this game by the halfway point? Don't remember the halfway point? Exactly.
That's what I'd love to know. I really wanted to like it but several times throughout the plot, I couldn't help but wonder "What the f*ck am I doing here?"

And Vaan needs to disappear. Ashe, Basch, even Balthier deserve to be the protagonist over Vaan. Hell, I'll take Fran as a protagonist over Vaan. For that matter, Penelo needs to go as well. Neither of them serve the plot in any regard.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Venatio said:

At least Vaan had the good sense to keep his mouth shut most of the time. He didn't ***** and moan about his "story" like he thought he was the driving force behind the plot, unlike Tidus. He wasn't the hero and he knew it, unlike his counterpart in X.

But then again, I didn't even make it to the halfway point in this game. Didn't like the leveling system, and the game had the weakest combat in the numbered series. SquareEnix would have to do far more than just touch up the graphics if they wanted me to finish this game.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Good for people who liked it I guess. I could never get past the fact it was basicly Return of the Jedi without Lightsabers or being set in space. Combat system was ok I guess except for the summon system.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
I've felt like I'm the only person who actually liked FFXII among my peers. It was my second favorite game on the PS2 behind KH2. I am happy to hear it is getting remade. Hopefully they fix the miscellaneous camera issues.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I'm assuming this'll be a remaster, not a remake. And I'll probably buy it; even the original game's assets would look gorgeous in HD.

P.S. Thanks

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Venatio said:
Personally I'm kinda hoping that for this remake they:
1. Change the main character.
And
2. Change the combat system. Preferably lift the FFX conditional turn based system and put that in.

Of course that's pretty unlikely. Its more likely that they'll spruce it up à la FFXHD and push it out of the door. Maybe I'll buy it if it ever goes cheap, I always intended to force myself to play through it one day but oh god the combat system was just painful.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I have only the vaguest memory of this game, no idea what was going on but the non-turn-based combat was welcome at least. The general recent FF character scripts are instantly cringeworthy, so a subbed option would be appreciated (To maintain a comfortable cultural distance between us, as Yahtzee would put it) Ehhhhhh...considering I gave up early on it, i'll give it another shot perhaps. As long as they aren't hoping to charge full price for it, aka: Triple A release price.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I hope they'll fix that terrible special attack system so it's not just your characters throwing kamehamehas in this weird quick time combo loop but instead your guy actually using their weapon to do stuff.

Oh also they could remove vaan and penelo and just make balthier the main character, nothing of value will be lost.