EA Teases X-Wing-Related Gameplay Mode for Star Wars: Battlefront

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
EA Teases X-Wing-Related Gameplay Mode for Star Wars: Battlefront

Electronic Arts has posted a new teaser image to its Star Wars Facebook account telling fans to "prepare for take off."

One of the biggest disappointments many have expressed with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e3-2015/14142-Star-Wars-Battlefront-Preview-E3-2015>Star Wars: Battlefront is that the game, at least at launch, won't come packaged with space battles. That being the case, if a recent teaser image <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/electronic%20arts?os=electronic+arts>from Electronic Arts' official Star Wars Facebook page is any indicator, franchise fans itching for high speed X-Wing/TIE Fighter dogfights might still have something to look forward to when the game releases later this year on November 17th.

The image in question, <a href=https://www.facebook.com/EAStarWars>posted to Facebook this past Saturday, simply featured the Battlefront logo above an X-Wing and the words "Prepare For Take Off." In a brief message above that, a company representative had also written "new mode incoming..." While this in no way paints a clear picture of what the publisher and the game's developers <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/dice>at DICE have planned, many understandably jumped to the conclusion that it would be a new mode focused on the game's fighter combat. Responding to Facebook commenters, EA was quick to shut down any suggestions that it might be space battles, but did post other replies that seemed to further the idea that the new mode will be snub fighter-centric. "We're focusing on air battles and dogfights that take place on the vistas of our planets rather space," the company said, replying to one Facebook user.

While the continued absence of space battles from the game is likely to remain a sore thumb subject for veterans of the original Battlefront games, I'm going to go ahead and say that the presence of any sort of game mode wholly dedicated to air combat would be a huge plus for me. Here's hoping EA and DICE dish out more details in the near future.

Source: <a href=https://www.facebook.com/EAStarWars>EA Star Wars

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Because why have all the fun of a space ship dogfight in space when you can essentially treat them like fighter jets on a planet instead!

Battlefield Reskin is a Reskin.

Just a random bit: judging by what a number of people that played the game at E3 said, trying to fly a ship is rather frustrating...considering all the invisible walls you'll be crashing into.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
EA, you aren't the kind of company that can get away with teasing. Unless you have something concrete to show, people don't trust you...in fact sometimes they don't trust you even IF you have something concrete.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
RJ 17 said:
I'm worried about Battlefront, but no, this simply isn't true going by the info we have. The gunplay will be different, the map structure will be different, the way classes work will be different, the way vehicles work will be different, there'll be different gameplay modes, etc etc.

Is it like the old Battlefront games? Apparently not either. But is it a Battlefield reskin? No, that it ain't either.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
The gunplay will be different,
How? Having blaster rifles instead of assault rifles? That's a reskin.
the map structure will be different,
How? Having Star Wars themed maps instead of war-torn urban environments? Reskin.
the way classes work will be different,
How? With something as basic as class loadouts, you don't really have much wiggle-room.
the way vehicles work will be different,
By finding random pick-ups that let you get into a ship? How is that any different from having a parking-lot full of vehicles that may or may not be there?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Gunplay? No crosshairs, from what I gathered from gameplay videos it's a lot more arcade-y than Battlefield's with less recoil and such. Shit it's even third-person if you want to. Map structure? A lot more varied because we'll see different gamemodes, different planets, etc. Classes/class loadouts? There are none. Playing heroes and villains aren't classes either but random powerups. Vehicles? Yeah they're pick-ups, means you'll see them less frequent and the more random nature makes them a lot less predictable than fixed spawning ala Battlefield, making vehicle warfare a lot less important than it is in Battlefield games.

This is info we've known for a while now, how don't you? Now, are these changes and differences good? I don't know yet. Will it be a Battlefield reskin? The facts don't support such a thing.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I still say having a Star Wars game without space battles is like having CoD game without multiplayer.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
RJ 17 said:
From what we've seen it is not a re-skin at all, it is a substantial downgrade.

So, Battlefield De-skin? No that sounds too gruesome, Battlefield De-make? Battlefi re-skin?

Who know, the flying better improve from the E3 build though, the enjoyment in it was hearing all the pundits comment on how awful it was.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
I still say having a Star Wars game without space battles is like having CoD game without multiplayer.
Well, tell that to MOST other Star Wars games out there.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Bindal said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ok, having a BATTLEFRONT game without space battles then.

Anomynous 167

May 6, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Bindal said:
canadamus_prime said:
The original Star Wars Battlefront didn't have space battles. That was a feature that was added in the second game

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
If they come out to announce space battles/dogfights as payable DLC there will be so much hatred flowing around the internet it'll make the Emperor look like a Care-Bear.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I'm on mobile, so all I saw of this article title was "EA Teases X-Wing-Related Gameplay-"

There was the barest glimmer of hope in me that that meant a new flight sim.

I am now doubly disappointed. :D

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Anomynous 167 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Bindal said:
canadamus_prime said:
The original Star Wars Battlefront didn't have space battles. That was a feature that was added in the second game
Didn't it? Oh. I've only played the second one. Still removing features that were in the previous game(s) seems like more than a bit of a dick move. But then EA's good at that.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
https://www.facebook.com/EAStarWars.uk/videos/1622076404699941/

It's fine escapist, don't post this video that was also teased by EA On FB.

Is it space? No. But I still se capital Ships that look shootable.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Anomynous 167 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Bindal said:
canadamus_prime said:
Didn't it? Oh. I've only played the second one. Still removing features that were in the previous game(s) seems like more than a bit of a dick move. But then EA's good at that.
Everything about this game is a step down from Battlefront 2, apart from the visuals.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
canadamus_prime said:
Anomynous 167 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Bindal said:
canadamus_prime said:
Everything about this game is a step down from Battlefront 2, apart from the visuals.
And yet people are still creaming their pants over it. Go figure.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
Not really a good sign. I don't think the game needs dedicated x-wing modes as EA is the type of company that cut other features to implement it.
Also, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the first time they've added something to the game that wasn't in the originals? And even then it's apparently a watered down version of space battles.