Dark Souls 3 Hands-On Preview - Same Ol' Souls

Mitchell Saltzman

Mar 10, 2012
Dark Souls 3 Hands-On Preview - Same Ol' Souls

While very little new information was learned in my two hours of hands-on time with Dark Souls 3, From Software continues to impress with the next entry in the infamous Souls series.

Read Full Article

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Holy maker of madness, that music was beyond there must be some other word that hasn't been overused, surely? epic! That trailer...made my heart pee itself a little. They must have broken a record for how quickly 45squid has been seduced from my future wallet.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Need game now please. Wish I got to try it for two hours...

Anyway, I'm excited about this. It will be nice to be back in a world, instead of a city. Bloodborne was great and all, but it feels smaller than the Souls games. This trailer makes it pretty clear that Dark Souls III will not be suffering from that.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
One thing that bugged me about Dark Souls II was that it was a little too slow, as in you might as well never use dodge.

Glad to see that this one is looking MUCH faster. Looking forward to it.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I'm a relatively new convert to the chuch of Dark Souls, but no less fervent in my love for it. This is one of an incredibly small number of games I'm excited for. Even Fallout 4's drawing a meh from me right now.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Yeah, after two I just stopped caring for it since the gameplay is just "walk in circles untill enemy attacks". I really liked DK1 but the combat does have its flaws when the player gets used to it and all the rest that I liked so much was thrown out the window.

This one could be better but I wasnt really looking for more of the same.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
*Reads*
So if I'm getting the right impressions, they're going back to accepting the existence of shields?
Cause Dark Souls II had me worried about the direction the series was going in that regard. How are you supposed to avoid damage without a shield?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well i didnt expect they would reveal too much too quickly. I guess at this point the inventory was disabled to stop people learning tidbits that they shouldnt know about yet, and magic being absent to let the focus fall on the weapon arts.

Souplex said:
Cause Dark Souls II had me worried about the direction the series was going in that regard. How are you supposed to avoid damage without a shield?
By parrying what you can and dodgerolling what you cant.

Though i wont nessesarily complain if shields get as good at thier job as they were in Dark Souls 1 again... as long as you can still reliably pull of a guard break and follow up in PvP.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I'm happy to hear that weapon arts will be replacing the parry mechanic for certain shields, since I'm one of those noobs who beat both previous games without making use of parrying very much. Still, after the disappointment that was DkS II, I'm not going into full hype mode yet, though I am looking forward to it all the same.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
So... It's more Dark Souls? That's it?

I MUST HAVE IT! OH GOD I NEED IT, GIVE US THE PRECIOUS!

Souplex said:
*Reads*
So if I'm getting the right impressions, they're going back to accepting the existence of shields?
Dark Souls 2 was made by a different team within the studio, this is made by the Dark Souls 1 team.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Caramel Frappe said:
josemlopes said:
Yeah, after two I just stopped caring for it since the gameplay is just "walk in circles untill enemy attacks". I really liked DK1 but the combat does have its flaws when the player gets used to it and all the rest that I liked so much was thrown out the window.

Surprisingly they changed that up in Dark Souls 2 so you couldn't strife around enemies. What they did was make7 the enemies look towards your direction like their feet was on a steering wheel, a magnet if you will ... making it almost impossible to get around.

Other times, the enemies would either do a 180 attack behind them or have an aoe spell that hurts you for trying to strife.
Really? Because that was the game where that exploit became really obvious for me to use.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
You have to use a shield to parry? And you get more attacks without one? That's... actually really good for me, since I never utilized the parry mechanic in either Dark Souls games.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
gigastar said:
Souplex said:
By parrying what you can and dodgerolling what you cant.
I'm still confused. "Parrying"? Shields have two options: blocking, and bashing. "Dodgerolling"? How could one do that when wearing a proper amount of armor? What are these alien concepts you speak of?

Though i wont nessesarily complain if shields get as good at thier job as they were in Dark Souls 1 again... as long as you can still reliably pull of a guard break and follow up in PvP.
That will only be okay if they fix the lag issue so that you don't get guard-broken even if you sidestepped, or knocked them out of that silly slap.
vallorn said:
Dark Souls 2 was made by a different team within the studio, this is made by the Dark Souls 1 team.
...That explains so much. Now I'm even more hype for III.
Captcha: Turning point

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Fat_Hippo said:
I'm happy to hear that weapon arts will be replacing the parry mechanic for certain shields, since I'm one of those noobs who beat both previous games without making use of parrying very much.
I hope that we're not getting the whole story here, or the system is still being worked on.
I'd love to see the "weapon arts" be actually tied to the weapon combination, rather than a specific main-hand and absence of a buckler.

For example: Long Sword and Buckler has an 'art' that's a parry into a follow up, Long Sword with both hands get's a special attack, Long Sword+Long Sword have an 'art' that uses both blades, Long Sword + Shield has a bash 'art', etc.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Caramel Frappe said:
josemlopes said:
Caramel Frappe said:
josemlopes said:

Surprisingly they changed that up in Dark Souls 2 so you couldn't strife around enemies. What they did was make7 the enemies look towards your direction like their feet was on a steering wheel, a magnet if you will ... making it almost impossible to get around.

Other times, the enemies would either do a 180 attack behind them or have an aoe spell that hurts you for trying to strife.
Really? Because that was the game where that exploit became really obvious for me to use.
ಠ_ಠ .. You sound rather hostile right now over something minor lol.
My first post was a bit angry because the game looks more of the same and I got somewhat disapointed but the last one really wasnt, I as suprised to hear that because it only really hit me that I could just strafe around most enemies at that early boss that is basicly a tree in DS2.

Then yeah, after that it got hard for me to play DS1 too since it has that issue too (and like you said probably even more). I did play Ninja Gaiden Black in between the two games so maybe that soured the experience a bit.

I feel like a big part of what I liked in DS1 was the discovery (both of locations and game mechanics) and the game mechanics part is already all discovered except whatever new small features they implement, I didnt play Demons Souls so DS1 felt fresh, with 2 nothing really felt new (and the locations part was a big miss, I liked looking at something and then feeling like I was travelling the path to get there).

So yeah, thats basicly it. Just explaining why my first comment is a bit bitter and why my second comment was genuine suprise.