Attack on Titan's Live Action Trailer is People-Nomming Nightmare Fuel

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Attack on Titan's Live Action Trailer is People-Nomming Nightmare Fuel

As the movie opens in Japan, the latest trailer for Attack on Titan has surfaced, and it's a gory piece of film - but maybe not what fans were hoping for.

Note: the trailer below is pretty visceral - "visceral" in the sense that you see a lot of viscera all over the place.

The hugely popular Attack on Titan has drawn a diverse array of fans since 2009. It began as a manga, to be followed by an anime series and video games, and its first live-action adaptation has just hit the silver screen in Japan.

A follow-up television serie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140333-Attack-on-Titan-is-Getting-a-Live-Action-TV-Show]s is already in the works.

AoT follows the the survival of humanity against monstrously tall, human-like "titans," with a taste for people. The three main characters - Eren, Mikasa, and Armin - enlist in the military and learn to bring down the giants using swords and pneumatic-grappling-hook "Three Dimensional Maneuver Gear".

Though it appears to capture the violence, this movie may not be what fans of the series were hoping for. For one, much of the action in the trailer seems to take place in darkness, whereas the anime, at least, took place mostly in daytime and was filled with color.

[gallery=4507]

Another thing: Did I miss that bow and arrow the first time around? I don't remember so many guns, either. Oh, and Levi - one of Attack on Titan's most popular characters - was ditched from the story entirely.

Attack on Titan is variety of cross-overs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138369-Attack-on-Titan-and-the-Marvel-Universe-Meet], as well.

Has anyone here seen the film yet? It's already opened in Japan, and made an appearance at Montreal's Fantasia Film Festival. The second instalment opens later this year.

Source: Youtube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gfpC_Z2AyI]

Samsont

Jun 11, 2009
Damn, this movie looks worse than I expected. The effects are like, university student short film project level. It might be alright for the novelty I suppose, or maybe as a movie that's So Bad It's Good.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
This looks like it will standard Japanese cheese, their equivalent of bad 80s action. Well, it should get a few good laughs or maybe wtfs like their commercials do at least.

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Samsont said:
maybe as a movie that's So Bad It's Good.
Yeah, I think it's going to end up firmly in the "good-bad" category. Cheezy, but gory! Terrible acting - but hilarious acting!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wow...and I thought Tokyo Gore Police was stupid!
The amount of cheese, silliness and just straight Japanese-ness in this movie makes Human Centipede look Oscar worthy!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
"Three Dimensional Manoeuvre Gear"
May want to go over that line again.

Oh, and Levi - one of Attack on Titan's most popular characters - was ditched from the story entirely.
That's actually been explained [http://shingekinokyojin.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Manuel_de_la_Fuente/Why_Levi_is_not_in_the_live-action_movies%3F_Screenwriter_finally_answers]

"... Firstly, that the movies are intended to focus on the relationship between Eren and Mikasa (who are a romantic couple in this story instead of adoptive siblings, in case you didn't know), and Levi is simply too badass and would have overshadowed the protagonists -again-.[footnote]Levi consistently ranks first in popularity polls.[/footnote]

And secondly, and the main reason actually, the culprit was his name. The original series depicts a world where most of the survivors that live within the Walls are from western origin (evident in their features and names), and though that formula works fine in animated and manga material, the producers thought that it would be weird to bring it to the live-action world; especially since many of the names are German and it might be uncomfortable to see Japanese actors trying to pull off Germans.

Movies' director Shinji Higuchi started by changing the setting to Japan and using asian actors. At some point they even considered to change the names of the characters to more common Japanese names, but they finally decided to keep the originals. However, Levi's name was a problem, since it contains a "v", which is an unusal letter in the Japanese language, to the point that some dictionaries don?t even use it. Producers thought that his name sounded too foreign and they would need to give some sort of explanation to the audience about it, so they simply chose not to use the character (being replaced by Shikishima)."

My thoughts on the film (from what I've seen in trailers and promotional images) is that it looks too dark and a tad bit poorly made (granted, I am aware that the graphic quality standards for Japanese film is generally set lower), and the fact that the 3DMG users look far too floaty and weightless, which really bothers the hell out of me.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
This is why AoT is one of the very, VERY few anime I'll ever say this about, but... *sigh* It would really benefit from being a big-budget hollywood production.

Seriously, The titans with their grotesque designs, the 3dm gear causing soldiers to zip around archaic buildings like spiderman? Those kinds of visuals are what the modern popcorn thriller is made of, and if the stars aligned just right and someone with talent took the helm it could be truly enjoyable summer flick.

You can see the passion in this project, but the lack of budget has given the whole thing a very campy feel.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Dammit I posted this days ago!

OT- I suppose one thing I will say about the lived action film is that they took the colour palette from Zack Snyder. It's so grey and brownish compared to the vibrate anime!

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
soren7550 said:
At some point they even considered to change the names of the characters to more common Japanese names
Honestly, they should have in this case. They could have gone with: And this is a walled city in japan of the "Attack on Titans"- world, let's see what happens. The manga made hinds to settlements outside and it's even still open how much "endangered" the human race really is.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
So this is a japanese PG-12 commercial?

*calls his 12-years old brother*

"Hey, little brother! Want to see something cool?" >:)

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Horrible. Absolutely horrible!

They turned the titans into ....into giant zombies. And yes, people that have no idea what Attack on Titan is, watch this trailer and instantly said "attack of the giant zombies?". Ridiculous!

THIS is what it should be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRm4IzK1SQ

They ruined AoT!

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
soren7550 said:
"... Firstly, that the movies are intended to focus on the relationship between Eren and Mikasa (who are a romantic couple in this story instead of adoptive siblings, in case you didn't know)
Oh. Well then.

Might as well have changed everything else in the script and renamed it Attack On Giants or something.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Looks dumb, but what else do you expect? It's a live-action adaption of an anime, and literally none of those have ever been good. Especially when Japan is at the helm - say what you will about Hollywood, but this one could really use some Big Budget Effects. That incredibly lame Pixels movie has better looking effects, which is downright shameful.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Sheo_Dagana said:
Looks dumb, but what else do you expect? It's a live-action adaption of an anime, and literally none of those have ever been good. Especially when Japan is at the helm - say what you will about Hollywood, but this one could really use some Big Budget Effects. That incredibly lame Pixels movie has better looking effects, which is downright shameful.
Maybe you're watching the wrong movies? The Rurouni Kenshin and 20th Century Boys movies turned out rather well. And Ikigami is a good movie, no matter how you look at it.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Samsont said:
Damn, this movie looks worse than I expected. The effects are like, university student short film project level. It might be alright for the novelty I suppose, or maybe as a movie that's So Bad It's Good.
Yeah I may just watch this to have a good a laugh, especially after hearing some of the scenes and changes described in the Best Friend Cast this week.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, what about no.

Let animation be animation. Live action really has no business interpreting it.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
As much of a mess as this is gonna be, the cheapness lends itself well to the whole horror aspect, those titans are freaking creepy.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Going to disagree with most people here and say that that looks pretty decent to me.