Blizzard Hiring For an Unannounced Diablo Project

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Blizzard Hiring For an Unannounced Diablo Project

A new job posting by Blizzard indicates a new Diablo project is in the early stages, but coming.

Blizzard has posted a new job listing [http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=15000KB], complete with hefty requirements, that indicates a new Diablo project is in the works.

Requirements include a minimum of 10 years' experience in creating video game art, a minimum of five years' experience as a lead artist or art director, and "a proven track record of shipping AAA products in an art director role." Also essential is "experience modeling and texturing assets for a diverse visual range of environments and a solid grasp of form, color, and light for both 2D and 3D art assets."

As a "plus," Blizzard says you'll need a "passion for games with a deep understanding of the Diablo franchise." If that isn't enough for you to be convinced of a new Diablo project, directly underneath "Unannounced Project" on the job listing it says "Diablo."

Diablo III 2.7 million copies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133487-Diablo-III-Reaper-of-Souls-Sells-2-7-Million-Copies-in-Its-First-Week] in its first week. With Diablo III's success, it's possible we're looking at another expansion, although that's unlikely considering the amount of time Blizzard usually takes in development.

Blizzard's annual convention for its own franchises, BlizzCon, takes place on November 6 and 7 this year, and it's unlikely we'll hear any specifics before then.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Alfador_VII said:
Hmm, a little early for Diablo IV, another D3 expansion maybe? or a Card Game? :D
Actually I think it's just right for D4. The only reason D3 took so long is that the project restarted from scratch at least once, so it was the equivalent of at least 2 Blizzard game cycles. If they're just starting to build up their team for D4, we're looking at a release 4 years from now at the earliest, given that it's Blizzard. That's 7 years after D3's launch, which is respectable.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Hmm...

This has already generated waves in the D3 community. By their estimates, D3X2 should be revealed at BlizzCon, but shouldn't be linked to this announcement. From what I've read, art direction is something that's solidifed at the start of the project, and I'm sure Blizz has at least started working on the e-pac. So, either this is D3X3, D4, or a spinoff.

Further skuttlebutt is that D3X2 will focus on Skovos. So, if D3X3 focuses on Xiansai (another rumour), I could see the need for a new art director. However, D4 seems quite a possibility at this point in time.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Assuming that you kill Diablo (for the 3rd time) in Diablo 3, what's next?

Kill Diablo again along with its long lost cousins?

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Hawki said:
Hmm...

This has already generated waves in the D3 community. By their estimates, D3X2 should be revealed at BlizzCon, but shouldn't be linked to this announcement. From what I've read, art direction is something that's solidifed at the start of the project, and I'm sure Blizz has at least started working on the e-pac. So, either this is D3X3, D4, or a spinoff.

Further skuttlebutt is that D3X2 will focus on Skovos. So, if D3X3 focuses on Xiansai (another rumour), I could see the need for a new art director. However, D4 seems quite a possibility at this point in time.
Why is another expansion expected in the first place?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Yeah, they need your passion so they can suck it out from ya to fuel their dickish powers and make it online only.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Lizzy Finnegan said:
With Diablo III's success, it's possible we're looking at another expansion, although that's unlikely considering the amount of time Blizzard usually takes in development.
I thought it was already been said (though not officially announced) that they plan to do one last expansion for Diablo III.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Naldan said:
Hawki said:
Hmm...

Why is another expansion expected in the first place?
http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Diablo_III#Expansions

There's also plenty of evidence that points to further development, such as Skovos and Ureh (both were intended for inclusion in the game), Xiansai (concept art) and other plot points. Not saying that any of this couldn't be in a hypothetical D4, but some of it feels more natural to be dealt with in D3 IMO.

4ged

Jun 20, 2011
maybe they fired the art directer for hero's of the storm and need someone to take the mantle of bastardizing diablo in that horrible league of legions abortion. ether way, diablo 3 needs a stat squish not an expac the numbers are in the trillions now and its getting retarded, if you turn off the numbers and just put hp as a percentile you get the same effect but none of the ridiculous numbers that feel like "super" and "extreme" did in the 90's, just stop blizzard... just stop.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
Calling it: "Diablo 3: Tyranny of the Bovine lords"

It will be glorious.
Not bad. But I'm thinking of something more appropriately spiteful.
Like "Wrath of the Consumer Sheep".

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
We'll to be fair, Blizzard does need all the help they can get. Must be pretty sad and embarrassing to have small indie developers like Grinding Gear Games stealing their thunder with a fraction of their budget while still releasing more free expansion content at a faster rate than Blizzard can manage. That and Crate is releasing Grim Dawn soon which will likely take even more of their players away. And even after that they will have to compete with Umbra releasing next year, which is also being done by a tiny dev studio on the cryengine, which looks better than any game Blizzard has ever slapped their synonymous with overrated logo on. Blizzard will need to step up their game big time, if they have any intention of relevancy in the ARPG genre outside of D2.