"Now THAT'S Bunny," and Making Audiences Care

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
"Now THAT'S Bunny," and Making Audiences Care

On the history of misogyny in the world of magic...

Read Full Article

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
With Greg Wilson I got the sense more that they weren't fooled, but they were being nice to honor him and his parents.

SilverHunter

Sep 22, 2014
I think I need to disagree about the assertion that Penn and Teller forgot about the "little girl" part of the Bunny in a Hat trick. Considering that you wouldn't have children attending a show like that... Having a little girl on stage to get the rabbit would be ridiculous. They also don't need to explain every single nuance of the trick when it can be shown as well. And with the female volunteer, they used her as the substitute for the "little girl" part of the trick. While she wasn't given the rabbit at the end, necessarily, she was the one who had the top hat from which it came from, and was brought up and subsequently had it revealed and pulled out, for her to pet and verify it was a real rabbit.

ritchards said:
With Greg Wilson I got the sense more that they weren't fooled, but they were being nice to honor him and his parents.
Eh... That could partly be the reason. But I also get the feeling that while they knew how parts of the trick was done, it was the effect overall that may of ended up stumping them in the end potentially. It's kind of hard to tell though, when we are ever only exposed to the word games and hints that they try and use to relay what they think was done to the magician for him to confirm. I noticed they used "Force" before, but ended up switching to "Jedi Powers" afterwards. Maybe because The Force was pretty close to a term that could expose part of the trick.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
I think the main reason behind the "giving away a rabbit to a young girl" part falling out of favour is pretty simple, and actually explained by Penn in the act.

We care a lot more about animals and their treatment now, particularly looking after them, for which reason its incredibly rude to give a child a pet without at least having carefully arranged it beforehand with the parents - meaning a lot more setup work than in the past when pets were essentially disposable if things "didnt work out" looking after it.

As for the later part, Id be interested to hear more about the history of the sawn woman. I can find references to changing women's fashion making the routine more practical for a female assistant, and Id always have assumed the "loveliness" of the lovely assistant to play a part, but Ive never heard before about this other angle. Id love to know more about how it came about and how we know about it, but I cant find anything online in a quick search.