Capcom Confirms Resident Evil 2 Remake

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Capcom Confirms Resident Evil 2 Remake

Fan favorite sequel due for an overhaul.

Capcom has confirmed today that the developer will be pursuing a long-rumored remake of Resident Evil 2. In a video released to the official Resident Evil YouTube account, Capcom's Yoshiaki Hirabyashi made the announcement, saying, "We do it!" by way of a disappointingly short-lived striptease.

Hirabyashi, who will be the producer on the title, has been involved with the Resident Evil franchise since the 2002 prequel release, Resdient Evil 0. He has been serving as a producer in the series for the last two major releases, Resident Evil 6 and the remastered version of (the 2003 GameCube remake of) the original Resident Evil, which released in January.

Details beyond the existence of the project at Capcom's internal R&D Division 1 studio have not been divulged. Hirabyashi noted that further information likely won't be provided for a long time, and suggested that fans keep themselves occupied in the meantime with the upcoming release of Resident Evil 0 HD.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcW6W-xVl-8]

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Sounds good. I'm glad they decided on a full remake and not a remaster. It also reminds me I should get RE Remake as soon as it goes on sale.

I do hope that they will change it a bit and make it more like RE4 in terms of camera and controls, but I know that there's a very small chance of that.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Cool! Resident Evil is such an important IP to Capcom, was there ever any doubt that they would do this?

I hope they continue the over-the-shoulder camera. I would also want Elza Walker to make an appearance, but the sheer awesome of that might blow up my PC.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
As much as I love this game, I'm hesitant. Capcom isn't exactly what I'd call "good at things".
That they make decent games every now and then seems to be a fluke rather than something intentional. Here's hoping they don't fuck this up like they did the 360 port of RE4.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Aww yis! This, with the RERE0 remake/remaster/rewhatever is definitely on the "totally going to Let's Play" list.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Okay I am absolutely stoked! I just hope they keep it survival horror like the original RE remake. They BETTER not turn it into a RE 4/5/6 clone and copy their battle systems!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I would be so relived if they remake exactly how they did the first game. Please just please don't remake into Resident Evil 4 with in RE2 skin.

I want that Fixed Camara angles back. I don't want just another shoot em up over the shoulder combat. The slow moving zombies will barely stand a chance.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Something I've wanted for so long... and now I'm terrified.

Don't balls this up, Capcom. I implore you!

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Algernon said:
They did a very decent remake of the first one, I'm ready for this.
I would like to remind you that was 10 years ago. I would also like to remind you that Capcom has gotten shit-faced since then. This is going to suck, this is going be a case of "be careful of what you wish for".

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Casual Shinji said:

Now you know how the FF7 fans feel.

This is at the top of my list. I'm hoping we get dopey Leon, and not badass Leon.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fox12 said:
Casual Shinji said:

Now you know how the FF7 fans feel.

This is at the top of my list. I'm hoping we get dopey Leon, and not badass Leon.
Yeah, but with FF7 you know Square is going to dump a shit ton of money into the production. With Resi 2 you have a company that's clearly on the look-out for a quick buck, and that hasn't made an old school Resident Evil since Zero. That's 13 years ago.

So will Capcom do want the fans want them to and remake it in the style of REmake (full prerendered backgrounds loaded with animated detail), or are they going to take the "easy" route and make it another Revelations (a mediocre third-person shooter with cheap graphics)?

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Yeah, but with FF7 you know Square is going to dump a shit ton of money into the production. With Resi 2 you have a company that's clearly on the look-out for a quick buck, and that hasn't made an old school Resident Evil since Zero. That's 13 years ago.

So will Capcom do want the fans want them to and remake it in the style of REmake (full prerendered backgrounds loaded with animated detail), or are they going to take the "easy" route and make it another Revelations (a mediocre third-person shooter with cheap graphics)?
I thought Revelations was great, personally.

Prerendered backgrounds limit the player's aspect ratio and resolution to the background. RE games with fixed camera angles often have enemies attacking from off screen that the character should clearly be able to see.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Oh, YESSSS! I was really disappointed when the Gamecube version wasn't a remake like the RE1. I've waited over 10 years for those G-Virus monsters to get a facelift.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Asclepion said:
Casual Shinji said:

Prerendered backgrounds limit the player's aspect ratio and resolution to the background. RE games with fixed camera angles often have enemies attacking from off screen that the character should clearly be able to see.
Yes, but that's the game Resident Evil 2 was. It was a slow traversal through the environment, because every screen transition could reveal something lumbering around or waiting to pounce on you. The whole thing is obviously super outdated, from the fixed camera angles, to the door/stairs animations, to the item boxes, but this is what gave these games their spook house charm.

You take RE2 and turn it third-person and it'll completely alter nearly every aspect of the game. Could it be done? Sure, but this would require a level of discipline from Capcom's part to not turn it action-y, not to mention innovation, that I don't think they possess. It would basically mean they'd have to reinvent the wheel like they did with Resident Evil 4, and yeah... that's not gonna happen.

I can't speak for every fan, but I'm sure that what makes the people that love RE2 so excited for an RE2 remake is that they imagine it to be like REmake, but for RE2.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
Asclepion said:
Casual Shinji said:

Yes, but that's the game Resident Evil 2 was. It was a slow traversal through the environment, because every screen transition could reveal something lumbering around or waiting to pounce on you. The whole thing is obviously super outdated, from the fixed camera angles, to the door/stairs animations, to the item boxes, but this is what gave these games their spook house charm.

You take RE2 and turn it third-person and it'll completely alter nearly every aspect of the game. Could it be done? Sure, but this would require a level of discipline from Capcom's part to not turn it action-y, not to mention innovation, that I don't think they possess. It would basically mean they'd have to reinvent the wheel like they did with Resident Evil 4, and yeah... that's not gonna happen.

I can't speak for every fan, but I'm sure that what makes the people that love RE2 so excited for an RE2 remake is that they imagine it to be like REmake, but for RE2.
Corretion the last old school Resident Evil was Outbreak. And that game had a Zoo full of Zombie Elephants and Lions.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Corretion the last old school Resident Evil was Outbreak. And that game had a Zoo full of Zombie Elephants and Lions.
Can you blame a guy for forgetting that messy situation?

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Well that's kind of cool. I always thought Resident Evil 2 was crying out for a remake similar to the one they originally gave the first game on the Gamecube (and recently remastered and rereleased on Steam) because, while Resident Evil was an impressive and impactful game, it was RE2 that was the truly iconic one that really blew the kneecaps off the gaming world- the FF7 of the survival horror genre, as it were.

Only problem is, though, it's going to be made by Capcom. Not mid-90s or even early 2000s Capcom, but modern Capcom. Capcom hasn't suffered the same slide into total retardation as Konami has, but they haven't really been treating the Resident Evil property very well over the last few years. In fact let's be honest: the series hasn't really been good since RE4. So if the remake is a throwback to the classic adventure of old (fixing the issues of the camera and clunky controls) then it could be good, but if it's intention is to "remake RE2 by making it like RE6" then honestly I'd rather they didn't.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Well Capcom you're a decade late but it's good to know this is finally happening. I actually still haven't played the Resident Evil remake on any of the platforms it's available on but I may give Resi-2 a look if I have one of the consoles I actually have. I liked two more than the original anyway.