Researchers Have Discovered "The Largest Great White Ever Filmed"

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Researchers Have Discovered "The Largest Great White Ever Filmed"

Meet Deep Blue: A 20-foot, pregnant great white shark that was captured in this astounding footage.

She's apparently "the largest Great White ever captured on film," and although this video was shot back in 2013, it has only recently been making it's way around the Internet. My guess: the government held onto it fearing the mass hysteria it would invoke. (Smart move, Obama.)

Spotted 150 miles off the coast of off Mexico's Guadalupe Island, this 50 year-old dinosaur bears its name from the groundbreaking 1999 documentary Deep Blue Sea, in which a breed of hyper-intelligent sharks laid waste to Samuel L. Jackson and his team of scientists (R.I.P Samuel L. Jackson). Either that, or this massive shark is an even more massive Deep Blue Something [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ClCpfeIELw] fan.

The most unbelievable thing about this seabeast? That there are people out there who actually want to SAVE IT! As Mauricio Hoyos Padilla, the director-general of the nonprofit marine research organization Pelagios-Kakunjá, wrote on his Facebook page [https://www.facebook.com/amaukua/media_set?set=vb.581295954&type=2]:
During November and December, we have seen several White Shark pregnant females like DEEP BLUE in Guadulupe Island feeding on seals, satisfying their needs to feed their pups.

They remain in this protected area for a few months but now there is a new challenge. This amazingly enormous female is carrying several little baby White Sharks, just waiting to be free in the Ocean. When White Sharks about about to give birth, they get close to the shore and deliver their pups in shallow areas, known as nursery grounds, who are full of food and free of predators. Unfortunately, these areas are close to shore and very vulnerable to several human threats and DEEP BLUE, her pups and fellow White Sharks need your help!

Right, like I'm going to go out of my way to help the nefarious being that will surely bring about the Sharkpocalypse. Wake up, Padilla! There's going to be a breakfast at Tiffany's, alright, except Tiffany's is actually the ocean and you're on the menu!

I just pray to God that a tornado never sweeps through the waters in which Deep Blue lies, or we're all doomed.

Source: ABC News [http://abc7news.com/926639/]

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
While sharks definitely don't deserve their man-eater reputations, good lord how that one dude just casually leaves the cage to pet that beast's flipper makes me go "NOPE NOPE NOPE!"

And yes, they do need protection. Come now, that whole "Ahh sharks so scawy and monstrous!" joke is getting a little old.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Okay I'm gonna just say this before anyone else does."

"We are going to need a bigger boat"

Cowabungaa said:
While sharks definitely don't deserve their man-eater reputations, good lord how that one dude just casually leaves the cage to pet that beast's flipper makes me go "NOPE NOPE NOPE!"

And yes, they do need protection. Come now, that whole "Ahh sharks so scawy and monstrous!" joke is getting a little old.
Actually those who study sharks know well enough when it's safe to try shit like that. Just like how people who spend time around dogs learn to read the subtle tells of body language and posture. Same too for sharks.

The think about how Great Whites attack. They're blitziers... they come in out of no where at high speed. You never see them coming most times.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
They are "scawy and monstrous", but that's why we love 'm! I never really understood this mindset in general of trying to paint Great Whites off like they're these placid and peaceful creatures who totally don't want to eat humans. Of course they don't go out of their way to just to get humans, but if they're hungry and a human is within reach they're going to grab it, just as I'd imagine they grab anything. Sharks tend to try and eat anything they can get their mouth around.

Anyway, that's one big porker.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Most bites on humans are exploratory, where the shark isn't sure what something is and investigates by putting it in their mouth.

Also, sharks have sensitive faces and love to be petted.

:D

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Cowabungaa said:

It looked to me like he was already doing something outside the cage and then possibly "steering" the shark.

But yes. #sharklivesmatter

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Asclepion said:

That is so cute! I love how the eye rolls - like s/he's reeally enjoying it. :)

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Cowabungaa said:
They are "scawy and monstrous", but that's why we love 'm! I never really understood this mindset in general of trying to paint Great Whites off like they're these placid and peaceful creatures who totally don't want to eat humans. Of course they don't go out of their way to just to get humans, but if they're hungry and a human is within reach they're going to grab it, just as I'd imagine they grab anything. Sharks tend to try and eat anything they can get their mouth around.

Anyway, that's one big porker.
Actually, as the poster below you said, most bites on humans are exploratory, for taste you could say after which they often break off. It's why most Great White victims generally survive, they don't end up trying to gobble up humans. Especially surfers often look like seals when looked at below, at least for a shark.

So yeah, sharks are generally not man eaters at all. Sure they're ferocious, I mean shit look at footage of them flipping about those fake lure seals. But they're not any more ferocious than, say, eagles dropping goats from mountains or lions teaming up on an elephant. Yet pop culture goes all "Ahhhh!" about them, probably thanks to Jaws. Thanks Jaws.
Zachary Amaranth said:
It looked to me like he was already doing something outside the cage and then possibly "steering" the shark.
Which takes unholy huge balls, if you ask me. Despite what I just wrote about sharks, I ain't getting near one, nuh-uh.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I'll admit it, I muted the sound for that video and played the Jaws theme in the background while watching it. That's one hell of a shark.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
What are you babbling on about?
JAWS gave sharks a super negative rep they dont deserve!!!

Look up MALARIA... Tsssh!

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
JaredJones said:
Right, like I'm going to go out of my way to help the nefarious being that will surely bring about the Sharkpocalypse. Wake up, Padilla! There's going to be a breakfast at Tiffany's, alright, except Tiffany's is actually the ocean and you're on the menu!

I just pray to God that a tornado never sweeps through the waters in which Deep Blue lies, or we're all doomed.

Source: ABC News [http://abc7news.com/926639/]

Sharks don't typically eat people, but they do eat jellyfish. A lot. If sharks went away, jellyfish numbers would rise. How safe would the beaches be, then?

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Jeez, that thing is huge. Those cage divers are amazingly brave to stay in the water with an animal that large and with that many teeth. I wonder how hard the bite pressure of a shark that big would be.

It's weird, I'm terrified of the ocean and all the creatures in it but I'm still more scared of Basking sharks or Blue whales than I am of this enormous Great White.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oh , come on. Tornado-shark would never happen!

Still, that is a really big damn shark. He looks...a bit fat. Overfed on...something.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Is it just me or does it simply look chubby/ fat for a great white? I mean I have seen images of them of course but when compared to the video to those, the video great white look more rounder?

Apr 17, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Still, that is a really big damn shark. He looks...a bit fat. Overfed on...something.
Scarim Coral said:
Is it just me or does it simply look chubby/ fat for a great white? I mean I have seen images of them of course the video to those, the video great white look more rounder?
According to the article, the shark is pregnant. Thats a big ol' baby-belly she's got there.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Pallindromemordnillap said:
FalloutJack said:
Scarim Coral said:
Is it just me or does it simply look chubby/ fat for a great white? I mean I have seen images of them of course the video to those, the video great white look more rounder?
According to the article, the shark is pregnant. Thats a big ol' baby-belly she's got there.
I completely missed that in the article, but as soon as I told anyone about it, that was what they figured too.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Asclepion said:
Most bites on humans are exploratory, where the shark isn't sure what something is and investigates by putting it in their mouth.

Hmmm... You know what else puts things in their mouth to investigate what that thing is? Babies. That, or they happen to teething. It could easily be both.

And you know what else looks adorable when you stroke their heads? Babies. And cats. And dogs.

My verdict? Sharks are tentatively in the same category as human babies. Or maybe it's the other way around...

Regardless, that's one cute shark.