EA Exec: On-Disc DLC Complaints Are "Nonsense"

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
EA Exec: On-Disc DLC Complaints Are "Nonsense"

Electronic Arts' Peter Moore thinks gamers who criticize on-disc DLC have an "erroneous belief" on how such content is usually developed.

Of all forms of DLC out there, on-disc DLC might be the most controversial. After all, why should customers have to pay for something <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117479-Pachter-On-Disc-DLC-Is-Just-Plain-Greed>already included on the very disc they purchased? Few companies are criticized more than <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/electronic%20arts?os=electronic+arts>Electronic Arts for the practice, but according to Chief Operating Officer Peter Moore, the fear is completely unfounded and misinterprets how DLC is created.

"A lot of that resistance comes from the erroneous belief that somehow companies will ship a game incomplete, and then try to sell you stuff they have already made and held back," Moore said in a recent interview with Gamespot. "Nonsense. You come and stand where I am, next to Visceral's studio, and you see the work that is being done right now. And it's not just DLC, this is free updates and ongoing balance changes."

Moore elaborated further by explaining that on-disc DLC isn't technically "content" - it's more of the support code which helps the actual DLC launch run smoothly. "Think of them as APIs," Moore said. "Knowing down the road that something needs to sit on what you've already made, means you have to put some foundations down. What people are confused about is they think DLC is secretly on the disc, and that it's somehow unlocked when we say."

We've seen lots of examples which Moore is talking about, such as <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137705-Destinys-First-Two-DLC-Reportedly-Already-on-The-Disc>when Destiny included map listings for expansions in the core game. And it's certainly true that on-disc and launch-day DLC don't always have much to do with a core game's development cycle. Not that the internet isn't frustrated with the content on principle after other developers <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117267-Capcom-Says-Its-Done-With-On-Disc-DLC>arguably mishandled on-disc DLC in the past.

Regardless, Moore seems to view DLC and season passes as a way to keep fans engaged (and spending money) on a smaller number of games. "Eight years ago when I joined EA, we were publishing 70 games a year. 70. And this year we might do twelve," he said. "The big games drive so much engagement nowadays, because they are not games you play for a while and then walk away from. Triple-A games today have live elements to them, and things like season passes are a way of keeping people engaged. Today we've got what used to be the size of a whole game development team, of about 40 or 50 people, working solely on the extra content."

What do you think of Moore's explanation for on-disc DLC? Please share your thoughts in the comments!

Source: Ars Technica

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
I'm sure this will be met with a calm and well thought out response by everyone on the internet. Except me.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Oh and here i was under the impression that Moore didnt want EA voted Worst Company in America for a third time?

And here he is dismissing legitimate concerns and then promptly justifying them by saying that DLC is in fact developed in tandem to the core game.

Thats a years work of biulding up good PR gone in an instant.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Oh really? The content isn't already there? It's not just blocked off by an arbitrary paywall? I think I found a piece of DLC that disagrees...

Considering how integral Javik was to the core story of ME3, I'm quite certain he was always meant to be in the game.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Season passes are a way to "keep people engaged"? How about when their coverage runs out, and more DLC's released after the pass expires? Is that keeping me engaged? Pretty sure I've not bought a Forza game since Turn10/MS pulled that bullshit, so I feel fairly dis-engaged thanks to such tactics.

My view of DLC's also coloured by how shite a lot of it is, which has nothing to do with whether there was code - or content - on the disc or not; it comes down to companies flogging more content to keep money being generating before interest dies.

Wasn't EA's 'support' for the Sim City franchise rather anti-consumer, btw? Don't they have a record for BS approaches to 'supporting' IP? Methinks his whining is unjustified compared to the legit complaints of players being exploited and coerced.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Heeyyyy, I remember that guy! He actually looks like the devil in human form. That is really the only reason I remember. I am pretty simple sometimes.

OT: Everyone knows that CEOs do not fare particularly well in these interviews. Why don't we at least give them two days notice to think up a clever response for once? These humans are shit at quick responses. (excuse my non-french).

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Moore elaborated further by explaining that on-disc DLC isn't technically "content"
Yeah, well it's not 'downloadable' either, so there's that.

RJ 17 said:
Oh really? The content isn't already there? It's not just blocked off by an arbitrary paywall? I think I found a piece of DLC that disagrees...

Considering how integral Javik was to the core story of ME3, I'm quite certain he was always meant to be in the game.
'From Ashes' was a launch-day DLC, not an on-disc DLC.

Similar, but not exactly the same.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
RJ 17 said:

Back in 2012 when I argued that, people said it was OK for Javik to be DLC\Pre-Order Bonus. Good thing that people views toward DLC is getting more cynical...

Oh, and Peter Moore is full of shit.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Peter Moore said:
"A lot of that resistance comes from the erroneous belief that somehow companies will ship a game incomplete, and then try to sell you stuff they have already made and held back..."
OK, so you're going to disprove the fact that you're selling incomplete games?
Lets hear your defense...

"Nonsense. You come and stand where I am, next to Visceral's studio, and you see the work that is being done right now. And it's not just DLC, this is free updates and ongoing balance changes."
...Well that's dandy except we can't see what your studios are doing behind closed doors. Nor do balance updates have anything to do with the sale of content. So at best, that's dodging the issue ("trust me, because").

What's really going on is simple: EA is is selling game content. This is nothing new. By selling DLC on day 1, they are OBJECTIVELY selling the core game as "incomplete" (because it doesn't include everything developed for the game at that time; and if it isn't developed how is it on the disc? Magic?)

The bloody obvious explanation, Mr. Moore: You are, in fact, holding back content and selling it at a premium.
To be clear: That isn't a moral indictment or complaint, it's just stating how the process works.

Though it is one reason (among many) why I stopped buying games from your company, and others like it.

kennyloo69

Nov 16, 2009
Is he actually telling the truth? I haven't followed much when it comes to on-disc DLC but all of the replies here are simply ignoring his statement that there is actually no content but just a framework that allows DLC to be added. Can anyone here either prove/disprove this?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
God DAMMIT, EA. You're EVIL, remember? Therefore, you have to keep quiet and stop trying to explain and give potential reasons for your decisions and just let people who would run a business into the ground in a day run over your face. It's part of the contract! Right here in section 8, paragraph 10, line 23: "Be a punching bag for the eternally screaming and furious public who have earwax instead of ear canals." :mad:

(In short: Yes, I do believe that the on-disk stuff is more API than not.)

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
RJ 17 said:
IceForce said:

You say that as though Launch Day DLC and On Disc DLC are mutually exclusive concepts.
I'm fairly certain that, if you have the PC version, you can unlock Javik by using a save editor...alongside pretty much every pre-order bonus. That means that the content was completely finished and included on the base disc, but inaccessible without buying it, preordering, or using a special tool.

Now, laying groundwork for future content in a game is one thing, but consumers had every right to be pissed over ME3's launch-day DLC.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
SlumlordThanatos said:
RJ 17 said:
IceForce said:

You say that as though Launch Day DLC and On Disc DLC are mutually exclusive concepts.
I'm fairly certain that, if you have the PC version, you can unlock Javik by using a save editor...alongside pretty much every pre-order bonus. That means that the content was completely finished and included on the base disc, but inaccessible without buying it, preordering, or using a special tool.

Now, laying groundwork for future content in a game is one thing, but consumers had every right to be pissed over ME3's launch-day DLC.
^My point exactly, thanks for backing me up with that info. :D

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Phew, don't scare me like that, Peter Moore. I was about to think that you were starting to think rationally.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
If it's skins and stuff that is obviously worked on after the game itself is finished and in the bug catching phase, fine. That kind of on disc DLC is perfectly okay in my books since the people working on it weren't going to be doing anything important for the main game at that stage.

When it's an entire character who sheds new light on the game's universe and provides new gameplay, that's just shitty. Yes, the company can do it if they want, but I won't be buying their game.

Really, it varies on a case by case basis for me. As it should for anyone. What's okay for some, may not be for others. That's fine.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
It pisses me off that when he says Free Updates he actually means 'Patches so the games actually fucking work' rather than CD Projekt Red where it's 'a butt load of new missions, character skins, equipment, gwent, new game plus? fuck it why not, we like our customers'.

Because I really don't think he sees the difference.

mrgerry123

Aug 28, 2011
Oh EA how we have missed you. Your sabbatical clearly did you some good. Now get back on that controversy train.