The Worst Mistake Heroes of the Storm Players Make, and How to Avoid It

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
The Worst Mistake Heroes of the Storm Players Make, and How to Avoid It

Increase your win rates in any game with this one tri- okay, okay. It's still solid advice, though.

Read Full Article

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
This sounds a lot like something I once heard a football (NFL, that is) commentator say a few years ago:

"If you score more points, it helps to win the game."

:p

Vanilla_Knight

Jun 25, 2015
This is unsurprisingly true. When losing games it either comes down to people not playing the objective or being map aware, but the biggest reason above those is when three people go into a fight without correctly measuring up the ability to win the fight thus they all die. People will continue running in when the other team has a three level gain, dying, and giving them a bigger gain. It's too bad that blizzard sucked at balancing this game to the point where structures are worthless at that point. Steam rolling lanes is too easy, made worse by team members running in to pointlessly die.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
I have some more critical thoughts on major mistakes players make not taken into account;

1) No one can decide which lane to take and sometimes a lane is completely empty. Support characters shouldn't be solo either. People should see what composition the team is and figure things out accordingly.

2) Ignoring mercenary camps. Especially when there's a time gap for the map mechanics to come into play and you can squirrel one or two camps before the big push comes in.

3) Ignoring the map mechanic. Some people ignore the skulls/cave on that one map or think they can save up 30 coins (or never turn them in at all) until they die and give them all up. They stand around to push try and barely push a lane when they aren't playing a hero even good at it. It's different if their guy can take out a fort by themselves but I don't see them doing this.

4) Disconnecting because they have bad internet. This isn't even something I consider acceptable 10 years ago. I would love/hate to know how much time has been wasted watching in-game pop-ups telling me someones reconnecting in games like SC2.

Heroes is a pretty decent game but I wouldn't mind more options around my characters. I wouldn't give up League of Legends though.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
The worst mistake HotS players make? Playing HotS. XD

I tried to like it, I really did, but the balance and flow is just so bad I can't. I think it needs time to work out the kinks and then it might be an ok game.

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
It may seem obvious, but it's actually really solid advice. You'd be amazed at how much better games go when you start picking your battles and bailing out of unfavorable encounters. Hit and run attacks aren't as glorious as battling to the bitter end, but they win a lot more games.

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
It seems obvious yes, but it's like common sense. Not as common as the name may indicate. And hey, I understand I do it too. Get repeatedly killed when I shouldn't have because I over extended, or got tunnel vision and stated in a fight just a little to long as the rest of my team was bugging out, leaving me suddenly in a 1v5 or whatever. Sometimes you die just because you are out matched. Their team has a better composition. They are working together better, or they got an early level lead and just start snowballing. Bad matches happen. But I've seen way to many people dive into things they just shouldn't be diving, or re-engage when they should be running and it can be so frustrating. HOTS may not have as many people who will get on your case for every single mistake. But it's hard not to get frustrated with someone who keeps making the same mistake a dozen times in one match.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Vanilla_Knight said:
It's too bad that blizzard sucked at balancing this game to the point where structures are worthless at that point. Steam rolling lanes is too easy, made worse by team members running in to pointlessly die.
That's....kind of the point. Heroes games aren't /supposed/ to last very long, and the obvious way to do that is have towers become less effective quite quickly. It's not bad balance, its an intentional design decision.
Sarge034 said:
The worst mistake HotS players make? Playing HotS. XD

I tried to like it, I really did, but the balance and flow is just so bad I can't. I think it needs time to work out the kinks and then it might be an ok game.
What's wrong with the flow? Also, not really sure what the balance issues are that both of you are talking about. It's no more "unbalanced" than DOTA or LoL. I've yet to feel that there are any heroes that I just cry over having to fight, even on release day or any that I deem a free kill. Obviously there are tier lists, but LoL and DOTA have that too, but if you both think that the game is horribly imbalanced, you either didn't play enough, or just weren't very good at it. I will say that the matchmaking is awful, but thats a separate issue to the balance of the actual game.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
elvor0 said:
What's wrong with the flow? Also, not really sure what the balance issues are that both of you are talking about. It's no more "unbalanced" than DOTA or LoL. I've yet to feel that there are any heroes that I just cry over having to fight, even on release day or any that I deem a free kill. Obviously there are tier lists, but LoL and DOTA have that too, but if you both think that the game is horribly imbalanced, you either didn't play enough, or just weren't very good at it. I will say that the matchmaking is awful, but thats a separate issue to the balance of the actual game.
In short, the flow is broken when laning is conflicting with the map objective. When playing with randoms you always have split teams trying to do both. The difference in LoL (haven't played DotA) is that a low tier champ can defeat a high tier champ with enough skill. It doesn't feel like low tier champs stand a snowball's chance in hell against high tier champs, regardless of skill. I think that's my biggest point, it doesn't feel like skill matters in HotS, just champ selection.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Sarge034 said:
elvor0 said:
In short, the flow is broken when laning is conflicting with the map objective. When playing with randoms you always have split teams trying to do both. The difference in LoL (haven't played DotA) is that a low tier champ can defeat a high tier champ with enough skill. It doesn't feel like low tier champs stand a snowball's chance in hell against high tier champs, regardless of skill. I think that's my biggest point, it doesn't feel like skill matters in HotS, just champ selection.
Oh okay fair enough, I can understand that. I like it, it makes the games short but intense and enjoyable at the same time. I think the objectives just take time to acclimatize to.

I personally wouldn't say that there's /that/ much disparity between heroes, rather that some aren't designed with dueling in mind(I assume that's what you're on about, if not feel free to correct me), obviously there are nasty combos (KT + Jaina + Johanna is pretty fucking deadly) and tanks have quite a bit of disparity on them at the moment though, which I'm hoping gets balanced out, as Muradin and Johanna dominate. It's totally possible to take out someone tiers above you if you've got a real good command of the Hero though. Obviously a Hammer isn't going to 1v1 a KT, but that's just not how she was designed.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
elvor0 said:
Oh okay fair enough, I can understand that. I like it, it makes the games short but intense and enjoyable at the same time. I think the objectives just take time to acclimatize to.
I really tried to like it. I wouldn't mind objectives if they were optional, such as dragon and baron in LoL, but they're not. You get the objectives or you lose, but when they always have lane pressure you literally can't do either. If you leave lane minions take objectives. If you stay in lane to defend the map bonus wins the game for them. Have had multiple, MULTIPLE, games where the enemy team just used the pyramids or ship to win the entire game for them.

I personally wouldn't say that there's /that/ much disparity between heroes, rather that some aren't designed with dueling in mind(I assume that's what you're on about, if not feel free to correct me), obviously there are nasty combos (KT + Jaina + Johanna is pretty fucking deadly) and tanks have quite a bit of disparity on them at the moment though, which I'm hoping gets balanced out, as Muradin and Johanna dominate. It's totally possible to take out someone tiers above you if you've got a real good command of the Hero though. Obviously a Hammer isn't going to 1v1 a KT, but that's just not how she was designed.
That's my point, anyone can play a "good champ" but great players should be able to push a champ past it's limits. I took on a full health mordekaiser as a 3/4 health soraka and won just because I played better. I don't see that in HotS. I see the same team comps every game because those champs are objectively better. Try something against the meta and you lose.