Gears of War Ultimate Revisits the Mad World Trailer

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Gears of War Ultimate Revisits the Mad World Trailer

Remaking their advertising too.

In an effort to demonstrate that the rabbit hole can, in fact, go deeper, one of the most memorable ads ever produced for a videogame has been remade to accompany the remake of said game. A new trailer for Gears of War Ultimate Edition released today, featuring the return of "Mad World" (itself a remake of a 1982 Tears for Fears song; I told you this rabbit hole was deep).

While the opening seconds of the trailer are almost identical to the original, the trailer quickly shifts tone to a much more combat action focused affair. Instead of Marcus wandering empty streets, we get a montage of action sequences that are a bit more in line with the actual experience of playing the game than fantasizing about it.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition is due to release on Xbox One on August 25 (August 28 in Europe), putting a new coat of paint on the nearly decade-old original release. The game will include five previously unreleased chapters and enjoy an improved resolution of 1080p at 60fps.

[gallery=4534]

Microsoft also has a few promotional offers tied to the release of the game. Purchasing the Ultimate Edition will include access to an upcoming beta test for Gears of War 4. Players who buy Ultimate Edition before the end of the year will also recieve a digital copy of Gears of War Collection for Xbox 360 bundling the first four games released and playable on Xbox One through backwards compatibility.

Sources: Official Website [https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=70&v=rwbYhvlrQbc]

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
Oh my god yes the all the feels, I want this so much but I bought a ps4 instead! Now to save for a damn Xbone too

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh god! Now that song! I loathe is so much (it's the Let It Go to me)!!

OT- So it's like the Mast Chief Collection? Neat I guess.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Love the song but the old trailer was better suited for it, this one feels like it should have something else, more intense, because of all the action.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's one hell of a game. It was responsible for chest high walls, but still it is one hell of a game. Constant action. Not a boring story and characters either. At least not for that era.

KaiUno

Dec 12, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
It's one hell of a game. It was responsible for chest high walls, but still it is one hell of a game. Constant action. Not a boring story and characters either. At least not for that era.
Eh... Storytelling was more boring "back in the day", was it?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
KaiUno said:
Adam Jensen said:
Not necessarily. There are better stories from way before. I should have been more specific. I was referring to Xbox 360 only. Story focused games that weren't boring were few and far in between. Last gen was kind of responsible for the increase in games that attempted to be more cinematic and story focused. There are good and bad aspects of that. Dumbing down gameplay is one of the bad aspects. More focus on writing is a good one.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
The song doesn't fit this trailer. I blame the trailer for that though: Gears of War is a shooter game in a horror, decaying atmosphere, not an action romp like its followers were. This version of Mad World fitted well in the original, in that scene from Gears 3, and as an easter egg in Gridlock in Gears 3.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Well that's one way to butcher the trailer I guess.

The lack of action is why the song fit so perfectly in the first place in the original trailer. You weren't seeing people fighting and doing action scenes, you were seeing a man explore the destroyed remnants of a once magnificent city.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I can't help but get the feeling they missed why people liked the original trailer.

Personally, I like the Bad Company remake of this trailer better.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Adam Jensen said:
KaiUno said:
Adam Jensen said:
Not necessarily. There are better stories from way before. I should have been more specific. I was referring to Xbox 360 only. Story focused games that weren't boring were few and far in between. Last gen was kind of responsible for the increase in games that attempted to be more cinematic and story focused. There are good and bad aspects of that. Dumbing down gameplay is one of the bad aspects. More focus on writing is a good one.
Its why I like Gears 2 the best. I felt they developed the characters better and the writing got a lot more better.

I find it sad that people just lumps Marcus as a meat headed guy with no feelings or anything. The books and comics give us a lot of back story and yes they are considered canon, Gears 3 has alot of references to some books and comics.

The characters of Jace and Berney and Anvil Gate are examples.

And Marcus is was the son of a wealthy scientist who lives in Upper Class status. The books tells that Marcus can speak in a posh accent.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
theSovietConnection said:
I can't help but get the feeling they missed why people liked the original trailer.

Personally, I like the Bad Company remake of this trailer better.

In my opinion, that Bad Company trailer was the best thing to come out of the entire Gears of War franchise. I've played the games, their competent, but kind of boring. That trailer, that isn't even for Gears, never fails to make me smile.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Its why I like Gears 2 the best. I felt they developed the characters better and the writing got a lot more better.

I find it sad that people just lumps Marcus as a meat headed guy with no feelings or anything. The books and comics give us a lot of back story and yes they are considered canon, Gears 3 has alot of references to some books and comics.
Eh, it's just like how the Halo books insert more in to the bland characters of the games, it's a little unnecessary when it doesn't really come through in the games.

Regardless, Gears 1 and Gears 2 handled Marcus Fenix the best games wise. Gears 3 utterly shit the bed and made him a rageaholic asshole who's incapable of differentiating his anger at the enemies and his grief at loss. I still want to throttle him every time I watch the final confrontation between him and Griffin [small](you have no point, Marcus, you're just being an asshole)[/small]. Then again Gears 3 shits the bed in the overrall writing, and I think it's best we forget it happened canonically.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Glad I'm not the only one who feels they butchered the trailer. I am not a Gears of Wars fan, but I remember the Mad World trailer literally giving me chills way back in the day. It made me love that song. I watched this new trailer... nothing. I immediately went and re-watched the old trailer... got chills again. That final reveal... the hopelessness.. the narrative conveyed... The feels were real.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Evonisia said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Eh, it's just like how the Halo books insert more in to the bland characters of the games, it's a little unnecessary when it doesn't really come through in the games.

Regardless, Gears 1 and Gears 2 handled Marcus Fenix the best games wise. Gears 3 utterly shit the bed and made him a rageaholic asshole who's incapable of differentiating his anger at the enemies and his grief at loss. I still want to throttle him every time I watch the final confrontation between him and Griffin [small](you have no point, Marcus, you're just being an asshole)[/small]. Then again Gears 3 shits the bed in the overrall writing, and I think it's best we forget it happened canonically.
Did I not just say they did reference books and comics in the games?

And the only thing that upset me about the Gears 3 campaign is the overuse of "Loading Screens" in the guise of seeing the characters opening the same garage like door over and over again.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
So to show their new dedication to Windows as a gaming platform, they're going to take this opportunity to make sure all the games make it to PC this time, right?

Right...?

...I'm sure we're just supposed to stream it, anyway...