The Trailer for Ridley Scott's The Martian Looks Like Apollo 13 on Steroids

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
The Trailer for Ridley Scott's The Martian Looks Like Apollo 13 on Steroids

The full-length trailer for Ridley Scott's The Martian has everything a Sci-Fi fan could ever want: The Red Planet, Marooned astronauts, and...Kristen Wiig?!

If you threw Apollo 13, Moon, Interstellar, and a couple gallons of Bane's Venom serum into a blender, you'd have something close to the trailer for Ridley Scott's latest space epic, The Martian, which dropped yesterday.

Based upon Andy Weir's hugely popular novel of the same name and starring Matt Damon as an astronaut stranded on Mars, The Martian has already received an official endorsement from NASA (whose director of planetary sciences, Jim Green, was brought on as a consultant for the film) and rave reviews from those lucky enough to have caught the first 49 minutes of the picture at a recent screening.

So if you're into seeing Will Hunting "science the shit out of" his shipwrecked space station, another space crew (led by Jessica Chastain) committing a mutiny to save him, or Kristen Wiig looking on anxiously from mission control, check out the trailer for The Martian and let us know what you think.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Okay, I'm turning around to Matt Damon as Watney, I must admit.

But fuck that trailer for spoiling the entire story and showing all the big points. The fuck Fox, the fuck... I actually don't think I'm going to watch trailers again for movies I'm really excited about, this one woke me up you could say. Luckily for this one I already knew the story, but damn I'd be pissed if I wouldn't.

Also, last time I checked Watney didn't have a family of his own.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait, Sean Bean is in it? Now I'm expecting a death scene and it won't be Matt Damon.

OT- It look interesting and I may go watch it.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Scarim Coral said:
Wait, Sean Bean is in it? Now I'm expecting a death scene and it won't be Matt Damon.

OT- It look interesting and I may go watch it.
No there breaking that habit this year he survived in Jupiter Ascending already this year.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Okay, I'm turning around to Matt Damon as Watney, I must admit.

But fuck that trailer for spoiling the entire story and showing all the big points. The fuck Fox, the fuck... I actually don't think I'm going to watch trailers again for movies I'm really excited about, this one woke me up you could say. Luckily for this one I already knew the story, but damn I'd be pissed if I wouldn't.

Also, last time I checked Watney didn't have a family of his own.
It mostly looks like they're showing parts of the first two acts. The biggest and mostly only question I have is if Matt Damon gets out of it alive.

I say mostly only question because Sean Bean is there...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
It mostly looks like they're showing parts of the first two acts. The biggest and mostly only question I have is if Matt Damon gets out of it alive.

I say mostly only question because Sean Bean is there...
Nope, they're going all the way up 'till the last act with this trailer, even
showing the in-space crew going all rescue-y and Watney launching, which is pretty much the last bit of the story. Whether he survives that I'll leave up to you, because y'know; space travel!

And that makes me sad, because a lot of things we see in the trailer are maybe not as much twists but at the very least important/big happenings in the story. They might not be big surprises even but they're definitely "Boom! *mic drop*" moments. Seeing all that beforehand lessens the impact, and that makes me really sad.

So I'll be avoiding pretty much every trailer from now on to avoid this happening to a story I actually want to experience for the first time.

Also,
JaredJones said:
If you threw Apollo 13, Moon, Interstellar, and a couple gallons of Bane's Venom serum into a blender, you'd have something close to the trailer for Ridley Scott's latest space epic, The Martian, which dropped yesterday.
I don't know what's up with this over-the-top nonsense description, but all The Martian is is Cast Away meets Apollo 13. Bane's Venom serum, the fuck?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Loved Apollo 13, loathed Interstellar, never seen Moon (insert sad face), and as I think it's also a fair comparison, absolutely adored Gravity (the whole stranded in space thing). But damn if I'm not looking forward to this. :)

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Hawki said:
Loved Apollo 13, loathed Interstellar, never seen Moon (insert sad face), and as I think it's also a fair comparison, absolutely adored Gravity (the whole stranded in space thing). But damn if I'm not looking forward to this. :)
Moon is fantastic. It's by far my favorite of all the films you've mentioned. I'll also highly recommend Sunshine.

I want to see this too. But I kind of feel like I already have thanks to this Cliffs Notes trailer. :(

Dear Hollywood and Marketing Agencies: Stop doing that shit.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
JaredJones said:
I don't know what's up with this over-the-top nonsense description, but all The Martian is is Cast Away meets Apollo 13. Bane's Venom serum, the fuck?
Last time i checked Moon was about a guy on the moon that is clone and escapes to earth to tell the public of what they have done to him, i can't think of any themes from moon that are relatable to The Martian other then there is a human in it and it's not on earth, Cast Away + Apollo 13 is a good comparison though.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Hawki said:
..never seen Moon (insert sad face)..
Damn. I'm almost tempted to get your postal address so I can send you my copy to fix that. Almost. Cuz then I'd no longer have my copy (insert sad face)..

Given the write up I'm curious about the film but given the comments I'm tempted to avoid the trailer. But if I watch the trailer I might be even more interested in seeing the film. Halp!

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
Knowing Ridley Scott he's gonna hire that guy who did Lost again(like he did for Prometheus) and completely screw up the plot for a perfectly sensible movie. Maybe he'll throw some random fantastical elements in about progenitors or something.