Star Wars: Rogue One May Resurrect Peter Cushing With "Eerie" CGI

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars: Rogue One May Resurrect Peter Cushing With "Eerie" CGI

Star Wars: Rogue One might include an "eerie" CGI Peter Cushing reprising the actor's role as Moff Tarkin.

In the pantheon of genre actors, Peter Cushing was easily one of the best. A mainstay of the Hammer Horror films, he became well known for a variety of roles including Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Who and, of course, Dracula's nemesis Van Helsing. Of all of his roles however, perhaps the most iconic was his performance as Moff Tarkin in the original <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars%20rogue%20one?os=star+wars+rogue+one>Star Wars. While only present in the first film, the cold and calculating Imperial commander would leave a tremendous impression on fans and remains one of the franchise's most beloved villains. It should serve as little surprise, in turn, that Disney and Lucasfilm might soon be bringing Tarkin back.

While neither company has yet to officially confirm it, sources have reported to the media that 2016's stand-alone <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140093-Star-Wars-2016-Standalone-Flick-Will-Be-Called-Rogue-One>spin-off film Star Wars: Rogue One will feature a digital version of the actor reprising the famous role. If the anonymous source can be believed, it won't be just a bit part either. "This is one of the most complex and costly CGI re-creations ever," they said. "Cushing is a pivotal plot line as he was the one to create Darth Vader and there's a whole back story that will come out." They further indicated that the film's creators are sparing no effort to make the CGI version of the actor as realistic and lifelike as possible. "They are going through hours and hours of old footage," explained the source.. "It is eerie to see someone who has been dead for so long come to life on a screen." Cushing himself, of course, passed away <a href=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Cushing>in 1994 from prostate cancer.

While some might dispute whether or not it's really necessary to bring Tarkin back, there are some arguably understandable reasons that he film's makers would want him involved. Tarkin, in both the movies and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/12667-Star-Wars-Tarkin-Novel-Proves-the-Universe-Won-t-Change-Much>the current novel canon, was easily the person most instrumental to the construction of the first Death Star. With Rogue One focusing on the heist that stole the Death Star plans, it would almost be weird to not have his character there in some capacity. What remains to be seen (assuming this rumor is true) is how well the fake-Cushing will fool audiences. Tarkin has appeared as a digital character in both the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoon series, but the CGI for that more stylized and far less realistic than what they'll need for Rogue One. Technology has certainly advanced in recent years, but it will still be interesting to see if Disney and Lucasfilm can defy the uncanny valley for an entire film.

Source: <a href=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3207415/Dracula-legend-grave-Star-Wars-prequel-Peter-Cushing-digitally-recreated-new-spin-Rogue-One.html>The Daily Mail

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
Cool and Weird....
Not sure if this is something we should encourage though. Why get new actors when you can just CGI dead ones in at a much lower cost?
I have no faith in Hollywood using this power for good.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Man, I never reckoned "Bojack Horseman" would have any predictive value, but there ya go; they called this.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Stupidity said:
Cool and Weird....
Not sure if this is something we should encourage though. Why get new actors when you can just CGI dead ones in at a much lower cost?
I have no faith in Hollywood using this power for good.
I would think it would be the opposite. An entirely CGI recreation of an actor with a level of detail so that it blends in well, would cost a small fortune. While CGI can be very cost effective for backdrops and effects, nailing the nuances of a live action character (in a Star Wars film no less) would be a tall order.

If and when it becomes cheap and easy to do convincingly, then a debate would be warranted.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Mr Shearer, do you guys still have the 'OFFICIALLY A BAD IDEA' article header sitting around there?

Because now is the time to use it, use it with extreme prejudice.
If it's going to be all CGI make an animated film and let the dead stay dead.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
ron1n said:
An entirely CGI recreation of an actor with a level of detail so that it blends in well, would cost a small fortune.
Money be damned, it cannot be done. CGI works great for very brief shots, making the edges of a practical effect all stick together better or making something entirely nonsensical appear on screen.

Transformers, dinosaurs and other such fantastical objects (like say, Smaug) work because we have no real frame of reference.
Real world objects and vehicles less so, because even small inaccuracies look wrong (watch any action movie stunt where the objects go from real to animated, MI:Rogue Nation was the last really terrible one for this).
People, no matter how carefully rendered, how precisely animated and lovingly scripted always take a running leap into the Uncanny Valley. It never looks right, human beings are too finely tuned to the movement of other human beings to properly accept what they are seeing on the screen.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
fix-the-spade said:
Money be damned, it cannot be done. CGI works great for very brief shots, making the edges of a practical effect all stick together better or making something entirely nonsensical appear on screen.

Transformers, dinosaurs and other such fantastical objects (like say, Smaug) work because we have no real frame of reference.
Real world objects and vehicles less so, because even small inaccuracies look wrong (watch any action movie stunt where the objects go from real to animated, MI:Rogue Nation was the last really terrible one for this).
People, no matter how carefully rendered, how precisely animated and lovingly scripted always take a running leap into the Uncanny Valley. It never looks right, human beings are too finely tuned to the movement of other human beings to properly accept what they are seeing on the screen.
I would tend to agree, but it really depends on how much screen time the character has and in what context. I can't imagine Disney would even be considering it if they didn't think they could pull it off convincingly as anything less would not only be an insult to Cushings legacy, it bring back shades of the remastered George Lucas controversy.

They've done a really good job recreating him in the Rebels series so I have no doubt whatever they decide to do, it will be quality.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I'm sensing a Tron Legacy style of uncanny valley coming.

If only they had established lore with a popular, but non-cast character they could draw from instead... A Grand Admiral instead of Grand Moff maybe.......... Or a hot secret agent force user.... I'd even settle for Commodore Lord Tion at this point e_e.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ukomba said:
If only they had established lore with a popular, but non-cast character they could draw from instead... A Grand Admiral instead of Grand Moff maybe.......... Or a hot secret agent force user.... I'd even settle for Commodore Lord Tion at this point e_e.
It's almost like you're hinting at something...hm...does she have red hair by chance?

Anyway, I don't think this is a good idea, but I do think they could pull it off. The reason being because I remembered what they did in Winter Soldier. They had a real old woman portraying Carter, and then in editing they just used CGI to put Carter's face there. And you really can't tell. So I think this could be done, and done well. I just don't think it should be done. Surely they can find someone else who can play Tarkin well enough.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
I don't know they are getting pretty good at it

Of course, it will be a lot easier to spot a fully animated person next to real people.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I haven't followed any of this, but how long before the movies does this take place in, that they just can't cast someone that looks like a bit younger Peter Cushing?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Grabehn said:
I haven't followed any of this, but how long before the movies does this take place in, that they just can't cast someone that looks like a bit younger Peter Cushing?
Well, Operation Skyhook took place JUST before the original movie started. In fact, you were seeing the end of it with the Star Destoryer chasing down the Tantive IV.

Couldn't telling you what the DU lore is.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
For those saying uncanny valley this or that...it actually can be done right, it just requires a willingness to do it right and not settle for anything other than the best. Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen is a prime example. They did it in Black Swan to get Natalie Portman's face on a professional ballerina. There's also this impressive ad...

Edit: oops didn't notice this was an older article