Could Human Waste Be Recycled Into Food For Space Travel?

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Could Human Waste Be Recycled Into Food For Space Travel?

One day, astronauts might recycle urine and carbon dioxide into highly necessary food and medicines for space missions.

We at The Escapist joke sometimes about how real-life science resembles science-fiction. But when we finally kick off this whole "colonizing space" thing, it probably won't look much like Star Trek. We don't have the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140670-NASA-Confirms-The-EMDrive-Warp-Field-Still-Generates-Works-In-A-Vacuum>warp drives, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140670-NASA-Confirms-The-EMDrive-Warp-Field-Still-Generates-Works-In-A-Vacuum>wormholes, or even cryogenic freezing technologies that make long trips feasible, so food and air must be managed as efficiently as possible. But what if those ships could be self-sufficient? Assistant Professor Mark Blenner at Clemson University wants to find out, which is why NASA awarded his team a grant to show human waste could be recycled into food and medicine. In other words: Carbon dioxide and urine might one day be crucial ingredients supporting space travel.

Not quite the replicator technology we hoped for, is it? Yet according to Dr. Blenner, the process is a necessity. "The challenge of long-term space travel requires that astronauts are able to recycle," Dr. Blenner told The Escapist. "It will be difficult to bring all the food, medicine, nutrients, and materials you could possibly need. So making these on demand in space, from the waste produced during space travel would be important."

NASA has awarded Dr. Blenner and his team a $200,000 per year to show the process is feasible. To do so, Blenner will attempt to engineer a strain of yeast that grows from human waste products. "We envision an algae culture that is converting carbon dioxide could be a food for the yeast when combined with urine," Dr. Blenner explained. "So one of our tasks to determine if algae and urine contain compounds that are inhibitory to yeast growth and to develop strategies to address removing inhibitors or developing tolerance."

Food would be the obvious by-product, but not the only one. The project also wants its engineered yeast to produce omega-3 fatty acids, which apply to health and brain function. Blenner even wants to go a step further and let the yeast create polyester plastics. If successful, these plastics would be a raw resource for 3D printing, allowing astronauts to create machinery parts on the fly. Maybe that replicator reference isn't far-fetched after all.

I can't help but feel struck by the historical parallel. Back when crossing the ocean required lengthy ship voyages, <a href=http://news.discovery.com/adventure/survival/what-can-you-drink-when-stranded-at-sea.htm>some crews resorted to drinking urine when fresh water ran low. This turned out to be a bad idea, but science might be resurrecting the concept (after a fashion) to become a crucial part of space travel.

And Dr. Blenner's project <a href=http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-awards-grants-for-technologies-that-could-transform-space-exploration>is just one of eight approved by NASA. If successful, synthetic biology might not just change how we think about space travel - it could very well enable it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
One of the harsh realities that science fiction has thrown at us in the concept of long extended trips through space is that in order to ensure survival, you may have to recycle/refurbish food, air, and water. This means that your waste in all forms would have to be somehow made useful in some manner to put back into the ship's capability to support your life. Water and air seems the most-feasible, though it's likely that we won't...really be too happy about the water, even if it turns out pure. We'd still be constantly reminded that this was urine at one point. The food problem is the real issue. You can't use human fertilizer on food plants, say. The theory of fertilization through this process is that there are nutrients that the plants soak up in order to grow. Since the human body reacts badly to taking in things that were from a human in the first place - the same reasons that it's also unhealthy to eat human flesh - you're asking for an imbalance of some sort. It has to be done to something even less direct than that.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
FalloutJack said:
One of the harsh realities that science fiction has thrown at us in the concept of long extended trips through space is that in order to ensure survival, you may have to recycle/refurbish food, air, and water. This means that your waste in all forms would have to be somehow made useful in some manner to put back into the ship's capability to support your life. Water and air seems the most-feasible, though it's likely that we won't...really be too happy about the water, even if it turns out pure. We'd still be constantly reminded that this was urine at one point. The food problem is the real issue. You can't use human fertilizer on food plants, say. The theory of fertilization through this process is that there are nutrients that the plants soak up in order to grow. Since the human body reacts badly to taking in things that were from a human in the first place - the same reasons that it's also unhealthy to eat human flesh - you're asking for an imbalance of some sort. It has to be done to something even less direct than that.
Not necessarily. I'm betting the urine problem won't be a big deal, as we're quite used to water on Earth being some form of waste product by now. Maybe some will, but I'd bet they'd be a minority, and the type to complain about everything anyway.

The other waste products are more interesting. Normally, we want those far away from anything that's immediately consumed by humans. The bacteria and proteins spat out are pretty harmful if we keep up contact with the stuff, especially if they're ingested. Better to have a few degrees of separation, if possible. In space, that may not be possible, so more direct methods are required. Either directly to bacteria or plants designed for the task, or even better done mechanically. For a long journey it's probably that power is pretty cheap mass-wise, so a high-power, low mass solution is best. Such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercritical_water_oxidation would be nice I think.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
FalloutJack said:
the same reasons that it's also unhealthy to eat human flesh - you're asking for an imbalance of some sort. It has to be done to something even less direct than that.
The reason why it's unhealthy to eat Human flesh is down to catching disease or more specifically prions similar to Mad cow disease (along whatever the person was infected with). It is generally inadvisable to consume another predator anyhow.

Poo tends to be concentrated with stuff that isn't generally good for us from what we've eaten and has waste produced by the liver (processed blood and whatnot). The problem I see with recycling is that you'll be consuming the same waste more or less.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Considering that Urine, eve before purification, is safe to drink, that is very feasible possibility right there (and is actually used as survival tactic in deserts).

As far as human excrement goes, its not much different from excrement of any other large mamal. Thats where plants come in. they use what is toxic to us and create what is not. Our nature is built on animal excrement... There is no "Waste" in the cycle of life. only whether you can replicate the entire cycle on a spaceship.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Xeorm said:
FalloutJack said:
Not necessarily. I'm betting the urine problem won't be a big deal, as we're quite used to water on Earth being some form of waste product by now. Maybe some will, but I'd bet they'd be a minority, and the type to complain about everything anyway.

The other waste products are more interesting. Normally, we want those far away from anything that's immediately consumed by humans. The bacteria and proteins spat out are pretty harmful if we keep up contact with the stuff, especially if they're ingested. Better to have a few degrees of separation, if possible. In space, that may not be possible, so more direct methods are required. Either directly to bacteria or plants designed for the task, or even better done mechanically. For a long journey it's probably that power is pretty cheap mass-wise, so a high-power, low mass solution is best. Such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercritical_water_oxidation would be nice I think.
It's worse than that. You can't even use human solid waste for fertilizer until it's beenchemically sanitized. That's because the bacteria and parasites that reside in us have the capability of encysting themselves for very very long periods of time until they come across the right condition I mean Cholera can remain dormant for decades and spring back to life the moment it senses contacte with your stomach.

NO it's the unfortunate truth of space travel. NOw trhat said, recycling our own waste into fertilizer we use in a hyroponics set up to grow food is not a bad set up but it's got a Diminisihhing ROI. It's why Most scii go with FTL travel that compresses the time so that it's no longer than a crusie voyage to the next resupply. COld sleep In which case you remain in suspended animation not consuming anything for a period. And Space Magice otherwise known as the replicator from STar trek

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Strazdas said:
[
Considering that Urine, eve before purification, is safe to drink, that is very feasible possibility right there (and is actually used as survival tactic in deserts).

As far as human excrement goes, its not much different from excrement of any other large mamal. Thats where plants come in. they use what is toxic to us and create what is not. Our nature is built on animal excrement... There is no "Waste" in the cycle of life. only whether you can replicate the entire cycle on a spaceship.
Ah, but I was only hitting the psychological angle for the urine, in that you are reminded "Oh yeah, this was most-recently my piss.". I know I'd be nagged by this a little. But as for the feces...

MonsterCrit said:
It's worse than that. You can't even use human solid waste for fertilizer until it's beenchemically sanitized. That's because the bacteria and parasites that reside in us have the capability of encysting themselves for very very long periods of time until they come across the right condition I mean Cholera can remain dormant for decades and spring back to life the moment it senses contacte with your stomach.
What seems to be concensus is that you need a few more degrees of separation before you can consider the practice healthy and safe.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Misericorde said:
FalloutJack said:
Strazdas said:
[

Ah, but I was only hitting the psychological angle for the urine, in that you are reminded "Oh yeah, this was most-recently my piss.". I know I'd be nagged by this a little. But as for the feces...

MonsterCrit said:
What seems to be concensus is that you need a few more degrees of separation before you can consider the practice healthy and safe.
However we choose to see it in terms of a taboo, the fact is that it carries all of the risks of cannibalism.
I think I just said that. So yes! Forgo the feces!

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Misericorde said:
FalloutJack said:
Misericorde said:
FalloutJack said:
Strazdas said:
[

MonsterCrit said:
However we choose to see it in terms of a taboo, the fact is that it carries all of the risks of cannibalism.
I think I just said that. So yes! Forgo the feces!
Separation might not be enough though, which is why we incinerate medical waste. Feces will contain (in some cases) a bit of fresh blood too, so you're really talking about the full spectrum of biohazards, potentially including some prions. As far as I know there is no standard method to make prions safe, cooking certainly doesn't do it, nor does radiation or most chemicals that leave the food edible down the road.
When I was thinking it, I meant the kind of act that so separates the issue that it can't come back to harm us. For instance, the world isn't inundated with our shit. It's being used in some manner somewhere. Whatever great circle of life that shit fulfills, we would have to microcosm it to make it safe, basically. And if we can't? Forget it. That's all.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Is it just me or does NASA know something that we don't.

Because they are really pushing space exploration hard this time.

Captcha: Other Worldly? GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Strazdas said:
FalloutJack said:

Urine is actually not safe to drink... infact quite the opposite. Dear god how did that start. No it won't technically poison you right away but all you're essentially reintroducing the very toxins your body tried to get rid of WHich is not doing your stomach, liver or kidnies any favours. Especially not your liver or kidnies.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
FalloutJack said:

MonsterCrit said:
well then i guess you will not be pleased to know that a lot of water we bathe in is full of animal urine. You can only really escape it if you only use deep upderground mineral water only.

and like i said, there needs to be the entire cycle and not just tomatoes fertilized by feces here. as far as cholera goes, one would assume the person being sent into space does not have one to begin with.

MonsterCrit said:
Urine is actually not safe to drink... infact quite the opposite. Dear god how did that start. No it won't technically poison you right away but all you're essentially reintroducing the very toxins your body tried to get rid of WHich is not doing your stomach, liver or kidnies any favours. Especially not your liver or kidnies.
Assuming healthy kidneys they are as capable of recycling those toxins the secnd time as they would be from fresh food. the only way this would leave actual lasting damage is if you are starting from a position of a person that isnt healthy to begin with.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Strazdas said:
Actually, Pittsburgh water is heavily treated for purification before it reaches the tap. It's all about those grand degrees of separation, yo.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Strazdas said:
FalloutJack said:

MonsterCrit said:
well then i guess you will not be pleased to know that a lot of water we bathe in is full of animal urine. You can only really escape it if you only use deep upderground mineral water only.

and like i said, there needs to be the entire cycle and not just tomatoes fertilized by feces here. as far as cholera goes, one would assume the person being sent into space does not have one to begin with.

MonsterCrit said:
That and there is also the diurretic effect.. It's why you won't find any survival guide that endorses drinking your own urine. It's not going to help. Due to osmotic diffusion it will actually pull watter from your body in the initial stages.

And yeah I'm aware there's no such thing as pure water.. in fact scientifically.. pure water is actually harmful to the human body. SHort and long term. As for cholera. I used that as an example. truth is we all have bacteria and parasites in our gi tract and unfortunately most of those while perfectly fine in the large and smalle intestine will wreak havoc when introduce to other parts of our GI tracts.
Assuming healthy kidneys they are as capable of recycling those toxins the secnd time as they would be from fresh food. the only way this would leave actual lasting damage is if you are starting from a position of a person that isnt healthy to begin with.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I wonder how efficient they could possibly make this with likely diminishing returns with every "transfer" of energy. The general rule of thumb is that each level of consumption of energy is reduced by 10%. So a plant converts 10% of the sun's energy. A cow converts 10% of the plant's energy. A human converts 10% of the cow's energy and so forth.

FalloutJack said:
Strazdas said:
Actually, Pittsburgh water is heavily treated for purification before it reaches the tap. It's all about those grand degrees of separation, yo.
There are several holes in purification processes. For example, hormones in urine aren't commonly filtered out so even estrogen/progesterone from women are making their way into your water. Fun stuff.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Lightknight said:
I wonder how efficient they could possibly make this with likely diminishing returns with every "transfer" of energy. The general rule of thumb is that each level of consumption of energy is reduced by 10%. So a plant converts 10% of the sun's energy. A cow converts 10% of the plant's energy. A human converts 10% of the cow's energy and so forth.

FalloutJack said:
Strazdas said:
There are several holes in purification processes. For example, hormones in urine aren't commonly filtered out so even estrogen/progesterone from women are making their way into your water. Fun stuff.
There are several holes in a normal process. As I understand it, we overcompensate to the point where you can taste the iron. You see, the rivers can get pretty damn dirty, sometimes. Come to Pittsburgh after a big rainstorm or even a flood and see how the Monongahela and the Allegheny Rivers turn the Ohio River half-blue and half-brown. With weather like that, who needs enemies? So, they treat it pretty damn hard. A friend of mine left here and went over to his folks' place where they have well-water. HOO BOY did he get sick. Putting aside the normal effect, his body was acclimatized to our water enough that he had a more severe reaction, and then it happened AGAIN to acclimatize back to ours!

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
I guess it depends on how much nutritional content can be salvaged from human waste. If water, salt, iron, and proteins can be extracted out, I could see it being injected back into the body.