How Zelda: Ocarina of Time Can Change Your View of Games

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
How Zelda: Ocarina of Time Can Change Your View of Games

I will never forget the first time I played The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The game did something to me, and my entire perception of video games changed that day.

Read Full Article

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
It sure was a great game. Z-targeting, that is now the expected lock-on button for all hacky slashy affairs now, was a rarity then.
It has been a while, at that age, I remember having to ring a cheat-line for a certain forest temple. A higher phone-rate number for game cheats and help which was really just a guy at the other end, surfing google or whatever to a caller's whim. Sure haven't seen those in a while. If only I knew of the tinterwebs, foolish child mind.

I thought the implimentation of music was amazing too. No other game even tried that. Each place had its' own tune to learn to play for warping. That gave character to individual places. It gave history, mysterious culture and wonder just with that alone. I wish they would use that method more often, but many may not like having to waste precious seconds for each fast-travel, playing the same melody.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I've noticed a lot of Zelda fans have slightly turned on Ocarina of Time in the last few years. Not to the extent where it's been dethroned as a fan favorite, but it does not have the super strong hold it once had.

I think the rising popularity of Majora's Mask in recent years may be the reason for this. People who feel as though Majora's Mask is incredibly deep, interesting, and unique will say that Ocarina of Time is too simple. That it is more of the same since it shares so many elements with A Link to the Past. While I agree Majora's Mask is amazing, it does not make Ocarina of Time a lesser game in any way. Both games enhance the other, and were made to give the player two very different experiences.

lassiie

May 26, 2013
I feel like you guys glossed over the music in that game as one reason why it is so amazing. Every tune was perfect and seemed to fit the environment you were in superbly. Who, as a kid, doesn't remember walking out of the your room in the tree when you first start the game and hearing the kokiri forest tune play? Playful, and childish which was a perfect fit for that area. Then exiting the forest to hyrule field for the first time and hearing, one of the most epic adventure tracks of all time. As a kid, the music was really able to give this game a sense of wonder that no other game had ever matched.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I played it once when I was young for about 5 minutes before deciding it was boring. Wonder if I tried it again if I'd come to the same conclusion. I think the whole Legend of Zelda bit throws me off because I can't identify with Link at all.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Hero of Lime said:
I've noticed a lot of Zelda fans have slightly turned on Ocarina of Time in the last few years. Not to the extent where it's been dethroned as a fan favorite, but it does not have the super strong hold it once had.

I think the rising popularity of Majora's Mask in recent years may be the reason for this. People who feel as though Majora's Mask is incredibly deep, interesting, and unique will say that Ocarina of Time is too simple. That it is more of the same since it shares so many elements with A Link to the Past. While I agree Majora's Mask is amazing, it does not make Ocarina of Time a lesser game in any way. Both games enhance the other, and were made to give the player two very different experiences.
Damn straight! Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask complement each other perfectly. Essentially, they both have what the other doesn't. I think Majora's Mask is the best game ever with Ocarina of Time closely behind at #2. You need to play them both as Majora's Mask is technically a sequel.

Avisell

Jan 19, 2011
lassiie said:
I feel like you guys glossed over the music in that game as one reason why it is so amazing. Every tune was perfect and seemed to fit the environment you were in superbly.
Isn't it known that the music was whipped up in like a day due to copyright issues? The main theme.

The world was the perfect size, similarly with skyward sword. Which is what annoys me about games with massive worlds. The worlds don't need to be huge, they need to be full! There's areas in Skyrim, for example. It was a house, pub or farm in the middle of nowhere for 2 lines of dialogue from an NPC; that's it, nothing more than saying those two lines. It's Quality... not Quantity folks.

Arkham City did a similar thing (like Skyward Sword), the world was small and compact, yet full of content and made for a richer aesthetic and immersion. I was Batman! Not, some fat balding man pushing forwards on a controller for 20 minutes before anything interesting happens.

To this day, no matter the game, its still 'Z-targeting'.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I like the lore of the world and music of the games. But this is probably one of my lesser favorite Zelda's (certainly not Skyward Sword, but nowhere near my favorites either). It's not that it's bad, just that it's boring to me compared to the more compelling games in the series like Majora's Mask or the goofiness of Four Swords. I get WHY people like this one, but I always find it interesting how people put this one on a pedestal when its far from perfect (at least to me anyway).

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
What I took away from it is that basically no dev has learned shit since 1998. It's not even that good of a game, but it's the template for basically everything else.

Wiggum Esquilax

Apr 22, 2015
Great game, but I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. The combat was always an artificially slow cakewalk, and most of the puzzles formulaic. Link to the past IMHO was much better, suffering only from a dearth of NPCs throughout the game.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
I think the whole Legend of Zelda bit throws me off because I can't identify with Link at all.
In what way? And do you need to identify with the main character to follow his story?

Hero of Lime said:
Been happening a lot with the classics recently, not really sure why. New generation maybe(Well I say that, but I'm only 23). FF7 gets it and the whole atb system actually, games that everyone loved and had always loved suddenly became shit and had always been shit, even at the time. Maybe it's a hipster thing.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I've been playing Ocarina of Time on my 3DS lately, and I think it holds up great.
It's a solid game, with rock solid mechanics and beautiful music.

I've really been enjoying my time in Hyrule.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
elvor0 said:
Xan Krieger said:
I think the whole Legend of Zelda bit throws me off because I can't identify with Link at all.
In what way? And do you need to identify with the main character to follow his story?

Hero of Lime said:
Been happening a lot with the classics recently, not really sure why. New generation maybe(Well I say that, but I'm only 23). FF7 gets it and the whole atb system actually, games that everyone loved and had always loved suddenly became shit and had always been shit, even at the time. Maybe it's a hipster thing.
The first problem is his appearence, he's an elf thing with pointy ears and long hair. He looks like a wimp. I can't identify with that at all. I like to at least have something in common with the character I'm playing so I can understand them better. Me and Link have nothing in common as far as I can tell.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
elvor0 said:
Xan Krieger said:
The first problem is his appearence, he's an elf thing with pointy ears and long hair. He looks like a wimp. I can't identify with that at all. I like to at least have something in common with the character I'm playing so I can understand them better. Me and Link have nothing in common as far as I can tell.
I can't imagine many of us actually have anything in common with most video game protagonists. How do you play anything? The way you worded that makes it sound like you're one of the people who would /actually/ be weirded out by Elizabeth being on the front cover of Bioshock infinite.