Mom Defends Superhero Child In Raising Dion

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Mom Defends Superhero Child In Raising Dion

In Raising Dion, mothers don't just act like superheroes - they raise them as well.

Do you think it was hard for Raising Dion, an independent comic about motherhood while raising the most powerful being on Earth.

Raising Dion follows Nicole, an ordinary woman whose seven-year old Dion turns invisible, moves objects with his mind, and generates plasma from his fingertips. What's more, Dion is growing more powerful every day, making it difficult to maintain discipline or teach responsible use of his powers. But the real challenge arrives when mysterious agents start stalking Dion, forcing Nicole to fight for the only family she has left.

"No one's ever done a comic book story from the parent's point of view," Liu told The Escapist, "the parents all usually die!"

To promote the comic, Liu has created a live-action trailer teasing what the series has in store. Instead of jumping ahead to Dion wearing a cape (assuming he ever will), Nicole faces the challenge of keeping her son on the straight and narrow - especially when playful misbehaving leads to Dion exploring darker impulses. But the trailer's also incredibly charming, and I suspect anyone with a soft spot for motherly love will probably enjoy what Raising Dion offers.

"There's a lot of talk about the lack of diversity in superheroes in Marvel and DC movies," Liu said. "So here's an indie grassroots story that features a strong female protagonist and a diverse minority cast."

[gallery=4587]

What's more, you can start reading the series today. Raising Dion's first issue can be downloaded for free, while hard copies and future issues will be released <a href=http://www.indyplanet.com/front/?product=128905>on IndyPlanet. It's a solid opening chapter, and I for one will be very curious to see where it leads.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Got to give them credit for a cute idea, normal adult caring for a supernatural child is a theme I've touched upon a couple of times in my writing, always fun to write.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Something I'd read no? Nah, isn't really my style. A great idea that to my knowledge is pretty damn original? Hell yeah!

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
Elfgore said:
Something I'd read no? Nah, isn't really my style. A great idea that to my knowledge is pretty damn original? Hell yeah!
Execution matters, even if the premise doesn't seem something I'm interested in.
I was surprised to love Strangers in Paradise as much as I did, for instance.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
At first I was thinking that this was going to be more trite "Mothers are the hardest workers ever" propaganda. But then I saw the trailer and I'm totally going to see this film. I may even wear pants for it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Don't most Super Heroes develop their powers in their teens? I know that's half the point with the X-Men, but I think even Superman didn't first develop his powers until he was in high school.

I bring it up because at that stage in a person's life it's much easier to accept that they would hide their powers. One reason being that they know they would be a target for the government, and the other being the fear of how others would react to, and possibly reject, them. But try to tell the six year old throwing a tantrum in Walmart that they need to put the tractor down and stop throwing pedestrians.

So, yes, I can certainly see potential in this story.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
damn... with that trailer - when is HBO going to pick that up as a legit series

Jan 12, 2012
Lightknight said:
At first I was thinking that this was going to be more trite "Mothers are the hardest workers ever" propaganda. But then I saw the trailer and I'm totally going to see this film. I may even wear pants for it.
You can be pantsless a while yet; they're making a comic book, not a movie. Though that trailer did look good enough for a film project.

OT: I you're going to give Dion a role model, Mr. Filmographer, pick Superman instead of Batman. Heck, put All-Star Superman on a loop and hope that it sinks in.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hmmm...I think some decades ago there were lots of stories about baby Superman causing mischief and his adopted parents having to cover his powers up.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So what does everyone think of the actual comic? The teaser trailer was great, but I'm curious what you all think about the actual material.

I read it last night, and I liked the feel of it. It was very fun and lighthearted, especially when having the mother and father of Dion first start hooking up. I like the direction they're taking it so far, though it is still in the backstory stage. I'm looking forward to what comes next with the following issues.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
thaluikhain said:
Hmmm...I think some decades ago there were lots of stories about baby Superman causing mischief and his adopted parents having to cover his powers up.
Yeah, superbaby was a thing. It was at best uninteresting, and at worst eye-rollingly stupid as I recall it.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
So what does everyone think of the actual comic? The teaser trailer was great, but I'm curious what you all think about the actual material.

I read it last night, and I liked the feel of it. It was very fun and lighthearted, especially when having the mother and father of Dion first start hooking up. I like the direction they're taking it so far, though it is still in the backstory stage. I'm looking forward to what comes next with the following issues.
The book does a good job of characterizing the parents and makes you feel for them. If it can carry that through to the mother/son relationship, I'll probably be hooked.

Lightknight said:
It's a comic, not a movie, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if a film studio tried to pick this one up ASAP.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Fanghawk said:
Happyninja42 said:

The book does a good job of characterizing the parents and makes you feel for them. If it can carry that through to the mother/son relationship, I'll probably be hooked.

The part that cracked me up was "POOP" xD

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
"Uh, Uh! Dion! Put the ipad back..."

[small][sub]"HOW DID YOU KNOOOOW!"[/sub][/small]

Take my money! Take it!

This is something I would love to see a full tv series on. I'll definitely give the comic a shot.

Dan Steele

Jul 30, 2010
Congratulations, you got me to comment on how awesome this looks. I love seeing things like this: especially based around super heroes. I definitly have high hopes for this.

sharon77

Aug 28, 2015
I'd have to say, that was the most entertaining thing I've watched in a long time. Will be downloading the comic book. I'm pretty sure they already picked this up as a series or film. I can see ABC or Marvel really digging this.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Lightknight said:
You can be pantsless a while yet; they're making a comic book, not a movie. Though that trailer did look good enough for a film project.

OT: I you're going to give Dion a role model, Mr. Filmographer, pick Superman instead of Batman. Heck, put All-Star Superman on a loop and hope that it sinks in.
Oh... I do like comics but I wouldn't read a recurring series on this unless it was superb. Seems like it'd be far more popular as a movie.

But hey, it's a new angle on the trope so they should have a lot of content to work with. People have tried to dabble with it in Superman but it's really hard to do it justice when you have full knowledge of where things will end up and have to make him somewhat of a paragon starting out.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Lightknight said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Lightknight said:

Oh... I do like comics but I wouldn't read a recurring series on this unless it was superb. Seems like it'd be far more popular as a movie.

But hey, it's a new angle on the trope so they should have a lot of content to work with. People have tried to dabble with it in Superman but it's really hard to do it justice when you have full knowledge of where things will end up and have to make him somewhat of a paragon starting out.
I don't see why, I mean it's not like they haven't done a million "What If" stories with all the flagship superheroes. Every kind of variation can/has been done, so saying that you "have" to end up with Superman being Superman at the end of a variation origin seems wrong. It's never stopped them in the past. xD

My favorite was actually a Batman variant, called Batman: Holy Terror. Where America was a full fledge theocracy. What ends up happening with Superman in that is fairly interesting.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Wait a minute! This is not a movie? The first thing I did, after watching the trailer, was to check for the release date when it's coming out to theaters.

It might be a good comic book series. Unfortunately, I fell out of reading comics this year. I got tired of investing in an universe only to have be re-written by some universe-altering marketing ploy.

As soon as someone picks up the rights and make a movie or a TV show out of this, I will be the first to watch it. This is very original and heartfelt story.